Fractured finger.. help!

Jan 27, 2003
eastcoast
Hey Doc,

I've got a 6 day trip to Costa Rica coming up at the end of next week and need some remedy thoughts on my ailment. I fractured my pinkie finger (knuckle, as when making a fist, on left hand) 2 months ago. I'm still having a difficult time laying my hand flat on ground (motion I need to push off surfboard). I can't ball my fist up either to push that way. The joint/knuckle is still very swollen and my finger sits off the rest of my hand like a 2nd thumb. It's very painful/difficult to bring that finger in line with the rest (as if in a salute). Anyway, I'm taking glucosamine/chondrotin to help (does it really help?) The PT that I've been going to helps (2x/wk for last 3 wks) but this seems like it's going on forever. It's still pretty tender to the touch. .. While I plan on taking gobs of advil/aleeve to help with pain of pushing off surfboard, any recommendations on what I can do to keep from injuring it further (not surfing is not an option)? Buddy tape it to ring finger? Splint it? Thanks.

Jan 27, 2003
eastcoast
I broke it playing hoops. Ball just hit it at a bad angle, thought I just sprained the knuckle, turns out it was fractured. Doc said it would take 4-6 weeks to heal. After 5 weeks (which was 3 wks ago), I had it re-xrayed and it didn't appear any better. Going in for another on Monday.
What over the counter drugs do you think will help best with pain and possible swelling? Will glucosamine/chondrotin stuff help the joints at all or is taking that stuff the equivalent of popping tic tacs?