Former World Champs flog current WSL pro'z with harsh criticism post-Sunset...

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
If the WSL had a clue as to what we, the surfing public wanted, the world title would be decided by winning the old format of the Triple Crown. Have a contest at Haleiwa, Sunset and Pipeline. The guy or gal that has the most points at the end of that run is the champ.
nailed it. Except top ten is decided before the triple crown. 10 people compete on best day at each triple crown even window.

Reactions: npsp and JDJ

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Agreed on both counts. I like watching Sunset. It's a tricky wave and I like watching the pros struggle a bit.

The fact that the world title is decided at Trestles and the fact that Lemoore is back on the tour tells me that the WSL doesn't actually understand what makes for entertaining surfing. In my opinion, at least until they develop a mechanical chopes replica, the ocean will always be the star of the show. It's all about the waves. Trestles is a fine wave but basically anyone can surf it. There is no fear involved. I don't want to see the best in the world toying with a mushburger, I want to see them pushing themselves to the absolute limit of what is possible in waves of consequence.

Think JJF at Margs, Owen at Cloudbreak, Kelly at Pipe, etc, etc. Those are the contests we remember.

Of course the waves don't always fire and the boys have to scrap it out but at least there is the chance.

Holding the final contest at Trestles is like having the best snowboarders in the world compete for the gold medal (or whatever) on a blue run. I mean, sure they would shred that blue run harder than your average ski bum but is that really what anyone wants to see?

And don't get me started on Lemoore. At least at Trestles or any other marginal wave in the world there is always a slight chance of something somewhat wild happening. At Lemoore there's not even the slimmest chance that someone will get knocked off their board by or shark or anything.

Lemoore is like if Major League Baseball tried to sell batting practice against pitching machines as an event.
I'd rather watch Noel Salas face off against Ben Gravy on soft tops at BSR than WSL surfers at Lemoore. Lamest. sh!t. Ever. You'd think they would have learned something from the failed reality show. :foreheadslap:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
wsl IF YOU ARE LISTENING...HIRe ME as a damn advisor. I KNOW WHAT WILL SHOW. WE NEED A FREAK GLADIATOR TOUR...NOT A STUPID SKATEPARK. we have instagram and can watch guys do stupid spin airs any time of the day or night.

BIG WAVES. HOLLOW WAVES. ROCKY WAVES. ONE "PERFORMANCE" WAVE. SHOREABREAK. ATHLETES ARE BORING AND DO NOT SELL THIS SPORT. GIVE US GLADIATOR SHAT. people in the midwest dont care about technical airs...they want to see ride teh wild surf chaos action.

there is a reason why the eddie gets thousands of spectators and few otehr contests get more than a few hundred.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I rarely even watch the highlights because I don't want them to know I clicker on their looser-a5S YouTube channel. You guys made some good points, I wish they were listening but as was pointed out, it's not the likes of manny of us they're after

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
wsl IF YOU ARE LISTENING...HIRe ME as a damn advisor. I KNOW WHAT WILL SHOW. WE NEED A FREAK GLADIATOR TOUR...NOT A STUPID SKATEPARK. we have instagram and can watch guys do stupid spin airs any time of the day or night.

BIG WAVES. HOLLOW WAVES. ROCKY WAVES. ONE "PERFORMANCE" WAVE. SHOREABREAK. ATHLETES ARE BORING AND DO NOT SELL THIS SPORT. GIVE US GLADIATOR SHAT. people in the midwest dont care about technical airs...they want to see ride teh wild surf chaos action.

there is a reason why the eddie gets thousands of spectators and few otehr contests get more than a few hundred.
We need more bold font please.