ford trucks still the best like a rock!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'd love a highly fuel efficient 4 door with a 6 foot bed. I don't need it to haul much, or have massive ground clearance. I just want to be able to put things in the bed sometimes and get good mileage all the time.

The alternative has been a solid mid size wagon, but you lose the ability to stack things up in the back.

I've tried to seriously consider the mini transit van option, but the mileage isn't quite there and the backseats eat up the cargo space.

Reactions: Rlacey111

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
I'd love a highly fuel efficient 4 door with a 6 foot bed. I don't need it to haul much, or have massive ground clearance. I just want to be able to put things in the bed sometimes and get good mileage all the time.
I totally agree, I think Toyota and Ford will offer this in the New Tacoma and Ranger( maybe not the 6 foot bed part) they both just came out with V6 twin-turbo hybrids in the Tundra and The F150( the mpgs of the ford hybrid aren't that impressive for a hybrid though, and Toyota's mpg figures aren't out yet)

I bet when the new Taco's and rangers come out, which should be released in the next year or so, we will seem similar engines in those. I would love to see 40mpg in a midsize truck

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Would you buy a used truck with 50k,70k or 100k miles?

Also. anyone using a full size pick up with a topper (shell) and board racks, how do you get to the straps? On my vanagon I have to stand on the back tire and open the sliding door to get to the front rack. I'm wondering if it is hassle with a big truck?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

Also. anyone using a full size pick up with a topper (shell) and board racks, how do you get to the straps? On my vanagon I have to stand on the back tire and open the sliding door to get to the front rack. I'm wondering if it is hassle with a big truck?
I have to open the front doors on my Toyota Sequoia and stand on my rear tires to strap down my boards and I have oversized tires as well. Kind of a hassle with the up and down poop but it is what it is.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

My old tundra had the topper and ladder rack. Honestly using the rack was a pain in the ass. I opted to get higher psi pistons for back window and would put big boards or items back there with door open for short trips.

depending on the truck I would probably still get a high mileage vehicle.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA

I have a 11 yr old f150. About 130k. No issues. I’d buy between 50-70k no problem. Ideally 35-60k.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
had two rangers. head gasket on one, cracked head on the other. both before 150k. helped me make my decision to go toyota since.

I really love fords (looks, fit and finish) but either you get a good one or you drain your bank account keeping them going.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I’m interested in the next generation of Tacoma’s and Rangers. Rangers out next year. Taco is year after? I’m hoping ranger have crew cab with long bed. This current one doesn’t.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Love my '99 Tacoma. Bought it new in 1999, both daughters learned to drive in it, it's all beat up, but I still throw the logs in the back and use it as my surf vehicle. It's got 201k miles on it and still going strong.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Love my '99 Tacoma. Bought it new in 1999, both daughters learned to drive in it, it's all beat up, but I still throw the logs in the back and use it as my surf vehicle. It's got 201 miles on it and still going strong.
This is all you need to know. put 160k on my 02'. sold it to someone I knew that sold it with 350k with basically no problems.

Reactions: santacruzin