Ford Transit

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I've owned 8 Westy's and a Eurovan camper and have built out campers for several people - including Jimmy Buffett. I've done a ton of research into what's currently on the market for this story for Popular Mechanics not too long ago.
Been thinking a lot about the AWD transit too. If you want some advice, hit me up. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2386400
1594043914864.png

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
sometimes I go on the ford site and build my custom transit

it's fun and sad
I build custom F350s

I go on all the sites and build gigantic dually trucks

It is sad when you see how much they cost

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I build custom F350s

I go on all the sites and build gigantic dually trucks

It is sad when you see how much they cost
I've "built" my transit a few times and the price creeps up, one accessory after another, and when it goes north of 50 grand I'm kind of like, "Fukkit. I'll keep the Westy."

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've owned 8 Westy's and a Eurovan camper and have built out campers for several people - including Jimmy Buffett. I've done a ton of research into what's currently on the market for this story for Popular Mechanics not too long ago.
Been thinking a lot about the AWD transit too. If you want some advice, hit me up. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2386400
View attachment 93971
Maybe you could answer this question- can you buy a VW "California" in Europe and import legally to...California.

Put a lift on it and some hiking boots (all terrain tires) and it might be nice.

Last edited:

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Maybe you could answer this question- can you buy a VW "California" in Europe and import legally to...California.

Put a lift on it and some hiking boots (all terrain tires0 and it might be nice.

No you can't get the California here - and likely never will. Too much risk for VW, too expensive to bring over.

That said, I've been testing the poptop Peace Vans Mercedes Metris Weekender for Popular Mechanics magazine for the past couple of weeks. I own a 2003 Eurovan camper (front wheel drive) and my Westy. I REALLY like the Metris. It's rear wheel drive, but mildly lifted and has a powerful gas motor (2.0 turbo) with 5000lbs tow capacity and a great setup with Pirelli Scorpions. The tow capacity and power of the motor is remarkable. I flogged it in the mountains on a family trip and have towed my 4500 lb boat with it. Felt like it wasn't even there. It's spendy, but quite impressive. This is the actual van I've been driving. They are going to build them out for Mercedes here in Charleston.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Read your earlier article, and am surprised you didn't include the revel in your list of $100k+ camper vans. Any reason for the omission?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Read your earlier article, and am surprised you didn't include the revel in your list of $100k+ camper vans. Any reason for the omission?
Yeah - I wrote about the Revel for Outside awhile ago. Simple reason - which I laid out in the PM article is at the time I wrote that, there were no rear shoulder belts in the Revel. Storyteller's vans have that. The 2021 Revel does have one shoulder belt, but not to have two is to me, inexcusable in this day and age. That's why I left it out - in favor of the Storyteller rig. The Metris by Peace Vans seat - both the weekender and even the full camper, has three shoulder belts.