ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
His surfing looks like he has a bit more flare, but choppier. Not a good move for his surfing imo, but I would give it another year for him to dial it in with JS and then re-evaluate.

Reactions: ANIMA

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
His surfing looks like he has a bit more flare, but choppier. Not a good move for his surfing imo, but I would give it another year for him to dial it in with JS and then re-evaluate.
What I saw, too.
It's a good time for a surfer to work on boards, so maybe they'll come up with some magic. It's a gamble, though, cause that big carve is his bread and butter.

(Re JS, I always thought his boards looked good, and have often been tempted, but I just can't make my BlakBox3 go. The board's a dog - for me. I had a KingPin years ago, and it was a super good board with tons of drive, but the BB3 seems to have none.)

Reactions: oeste858

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
CI and JS make two pretty different styles of HPSBs, at least in my experience.

Not surprising his surfing looks different on one than the other.

I'm interested to see what his surfing looks like on them in real waves.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
I still don't understand why all the pros don't get their boards in red. Red boards go faster. It's just science. DUH!

Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Conner switching from CI to JS is kind of puzzling. I guess he was slipping down the rankings (finished 20th last year) so maybe he's just trying to figure out some way to get an edge. Seems odd to pick an AUS shaper even though JS makes great boards. He didn't look especially great in this clip so that's kind of worrisome but I guess it will matter more how he looks when the tour starts back up again.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I dunno, very few of these board manufacturer changes improve someone's surfing enough for the board manufacturer to get a ROI: Nat Young from CI to DHD, Adriano from CI to Chilli, Taj from Webber and Mayhem to Firewire, Owen Wright from JS to DHD, Jack Freestone from DHD to Pyzel etc. I think many people would agree that Kelly's departure from CI to the Firewire fold cost him a 12th title.

The subtle nuances in boards at the CT level (maybe Gabriel's boards being a small exception) and the fact these guys are borrowing boards from one another in some instances and making design change suggestions to their shapers makes the changes (and a minor financial incentive) seem strange unless they're having personal issues with their shapers and/or management.

Last edited: