Fooking neck spasms again

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
This time it's a whopper and I can't find any comfortable position at all. About to head to urgent care. Are there any pills I can take (short term for like 2-3 days) that will knock this pain down until the muscles heal? Even sitting or laying down is excruciating. I've had flexeril and other muscle relaxers but they don't do crap. Will a doc give me anything worthwhile in this drug crazed time? I have too much health anxiety to get addicted to pills but don't know if my doc will believe that.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Your health anxiety sounds reasonable. Unfortunately reason has nothing to do with addiction. Be careful. I was going to say Ibuprofen 600mg but it sounds like you're beyond that.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Your health anxiety sounds reasonable. Unfortunately reason has nothing to do with addiction. Be careful. I was going to say Ibuprofen 600mg but it sounds like you're beyond that.
I just don't even know what to ask for. A shot of cortisone? Unfortunately the ibuprofen doesn't touch the pain. Anyone had this issue before? All that I can do is hot showers and a heating pad. The pain is extending down my back and into my shoulder blade as well as locking up my neck. Pain is at a 10 if I move wrong. I have one Flexeril left from the last time this happened but I don't even want to take it. Drowsy and no pain relief.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Sorry about your neck, can’t imagine.

This might sound stupid, but have you tried 1,000 mg Tylenol every 8 hours? Taken with or staggered in between ibuprofen. I know it’s just Tylenol but it is an effective pain reliever. Just don’t take too much(or with booze) and fuck your liver. Sometimes (often) pain control isn’t so simple, and requires multi-modality. Has your doctor tried you on Robaxin? Gabapentin? Both are non-opioid.

And I agree with the poster who said reason has nothing to do with addiction.

Opioids seem to be good for immediate post-surgical or cancer pain, but get stuck on them long term for chronic musculoskeletal pain and your pain perception gets worsened (opioid induced hyperalgesia), on top of the whole building a tolerance and death thing.

Maybe PT or exercise? Wouldn’t bother with a chiro but that’s just me.

I’m also no expert, just a knuckle dragging nurse who happens to administer a shitload of opioids daily in a recovery room, and also see patients who are on a shitload of opioids chronically who tell me their pain at baseline is a 7-8 out of 10 at home—despite the opioids. Doesn’t seem all that effective to me but if it takes the edge off, I guess.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Sorry about your neck, can’t imagine.

This might sound stupid, but have you tried 1,000 mg Tylenol every 8 hours? Taken with or staggered in between ibuprofen. I know it’s just Tylenol but it is an effective pain reliever. Just don’t take too much(or with booze) and fart your liver. Sometimes (often) pain control isn’t so simple, and requires multi-modality. Has your doctor tried you on Robaxin? Gabapentin? Both are non-opioid.

And I agree with the poster who said reason has nothing to do with addiction.

Opioids seem to be good for immediate post-surgical or cancer pain, but get stuck on them long term for chronic musculoskeletal pain and your pain perception gets worsened (opioid induced hyperalgesia), on top of the whole building a tolerance and death thing.

Maybe PT or exercise? Wouldn’t bother with a chiro but that’s just me.

I’m also no expert, just a knuckle dragging nurse who happens to administer a shitload of opioids daily in a recovery room, and also see patients who are on a shitload of opioids chronically who tell me their pain at baseline is a 7-8 out of 10 at home—despite the opioids. Doesn’t seem all that effective to me but if it takes the edge off, I guess.
LOL @ tolerance and death. Yeah I get it. These spasms loosen up eventually, it's the first day or two when I'd love a heavy hitter to take just to get me through the night.

I only stock advil because of my fear of liver issues with alcohol hahaha. I just want one less thing to worry about. I did stagger tylenol and advil when I had a bad fever two years ago and it worked great. I'm a crazy stickler about mixing drugs.

Thankfully the acute stage has passed and the pain had gone down to a 5 or 6 at worst. That first day/night was HORRIBLE though.

Too scared of chiros....I firmly believe nobody should have their neck adjusted. My good friend is an ICU nurse and her fellow nurse had a stroke from a cervical adjustment. No thanks!

@gbg - The thing about ice is that sometimes being too cold/stiff will trigger spasms at night. So, that's why I stay away from it with these spasms. What say you, nurse @tacos ? I can certainly try it.

I have mild scoliosis and my left trap is about an inch higher on my neck than my right trap. This plus working at a computer for work is probably what causes these spasms. It's been happening since I was about 23/24 and I'm 35 now.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
My neck went to sh!t like five years ago. Blamed it on Jiu jitsu but it could have been surfing, or most likely working at desk/computer. Got it checked out. Herniated discs. I make sure my desk set up is good and have a head rest ergonomic chair. Had to quit the jits but still surfing. Can’t give you advice but maybe take comfort that this sh!t happens and maybe you need to take a look at your work setup? I know my neck starts hurting again every Monday...

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
LOL @ tolerance and death. Yeah I get it. These spasms loosen up eventually, it's the first day or two when I'd love a heavy hitter to take just to get me through the night.

I only stock advil because of my fear of liver issues with alcohol hahaha. I just want one less thing to worry about. I did stagger tylenol and advil when I had a bad fever two years ago and it worked great. I'm a crazy stickler about mixing drugs.

Thankfully the acute stage has passed and the pain had gone down to a 5 or 6 at worst. That first day/night was HORRIBLE though.

Too scared of chiros....I firmly believe nobody should have their neck adjusted. My good friend is an ICU nurse and her fellow nurse had a stroke from a cervical adjustment. No thanks!

@gbg - The thing about ice is that sometimes being too cold/stiff will trigger spasms at night. So, that's why I stay away from it with these spasms. What say you, nurse @tacos ? I can certainly try it.

I have mild scoliosis and my left trap is about an inch higher on my neck than my right trap. This plus working at a computer for work is probably what causes these spasms. It's been happening since I was about 23/24 and I'm 35 now.

Thinking back to what I’ve read and also previous arguments (discussions?) that former poster Psychophant had with others here, ice seems to be only beneficial for short term pain relief in the acute/early phase of the injury, and after that it might be detrimental to tissue healing due to vasoconstriction. This is all off the top of my head right now just trying to remember what has been posted in the past.

Reactions: hgsouth

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Beyond pills, have you tried finding the pressure point that releases the pain? Try laying on a tennis ball or lacrosse ball and moving around til you find THE SPOT. When you find it put pressure on it to the point its unbearable and hold it there. After 10 or 15 seconds you may feel things begin to relax. Keep working it around. and repeating it. I wish I had learned this trick 10 years sooner than I did. It works wonders for me. I usually can find the spot between my spine and shoulder blade and get tremendous relief this way.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Fuck Chiros and go see a sports massage therapist. Worth every penny.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
My neck went to sh!t like five years ago. Blamed it on Jiu jitsu but it could have been surfing, or most likely working at desk/computer. Got it checked out. Herniated discs. I make sure my desk set up is good and have a head rest ergonomic chair. Had to quit the jits but still surfing. Can’t give you advice but maybe take comfort that this sh!t happens and maybe you need to take a look at your work setup? I know my neck starts hurting again every Monday...

Stress at the desk from working might be part of that equation if it happens every Monday.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Beyond pills, have you tried finding the pressure point that releases the pain? Try laying on a tennis ball or lacrosse ball and moving around til you find THE SPOT. When you find it put pressure on it to the point its unbearable and hold it there. After 10 or 15 seconds you may feel things begin to relax. Keep working it around. and repeating it. I wish I had learned this trick 10 years sooner than I did. It works wonders for me. I usually can find the spot between my spine and shoulder blade and get tremendous relief this way.
This technique has provided me some relief with occasional muscle pain flare-ups.

I credit my favorite aquatic ape theory of evolution theorist erBB poster for this tip, but gladly second GromsDad for repeating it.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I been saying this for 10 years but no body listens to a know it all.

I would add more exercises in the transverse plane.