Fook me- major back spasm

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I went for a surf this AM, third day in a row of good surf, coming on the heels of a week of inactivity due to a cold/flu. It was going good then my lower back cramped up in a bad way. No trauma involved. I thought maybe it was the cold, I kept trying to stretch and twisting hoping it would go away, but it didn't. It got so painful just going from sitting to paddling that I got out. I could barely walk. Took me 30 minutes to get out of my suit because bending over to peel off the feet was too painful. When I got home, I got out of the car in so much pain I was thinking I needed to go to the ER.

I took three Advil and sprayed a ton of Salonpas on the area. Spent the day in bed. Got up for dinner. I have to support myself on furniture or walls to move around. The slightest effort by the lower back and my pain shoots up to an 8 or 9. If it's like this tomorrow it's off to the ER....

Sound familiar to anyone? I sure hope it's not a serious deal. Never happened to me before.

Last edited:

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
That sucks..
I'm just wondering what the er does for a person in this situation?
Maybe chiropractor can help

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Hi llilibel103,
I have had my own share of back pain,
I have found that Aleeve is best for my pain,
generically, it's called Naproxen,
works better than Advil, Tylenol,
etc...

Used heat pads, icy/hot roll on ointment, accupunture, deap massages, yoga ball, stretching, still a lot of pain.
Saw this gizmo called AB Lounge at Marina del Rey's old Sport Chalet years ago, bought 1, best $100 i'd ever spent,
allowed me to bend backwards, to really stretch out my spine, alleviate some pinched nerves, back pain gone...
Here is an old commercial for it, see how far that dude can bend back~wards where i q-ued it up?
I couldn't do that when i 1st got that chair:
Anyways, good luck, rw

PS ~ i also tried the chiropratic route,
went to see Dr. Billauer in MDR on Washington Blvd a bunch of times, ok results for short while,
but that AB Lounge chair really did the trick for me, some friends too whom i'd loan it out to,
bending as far back~wards as you possibly can, again + again, get 1 if you can...

Last edited:

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Agree that alieve is the best for back pain. That and soaking in warm baths.

The remedy is all about reducing inflammation, and getting the muscles to relax.

If you go the prescription route, Soma is delightful. It's addictive, so the doctors don't like to give it out, but it breaks the spasm cycle

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
if be cautious about bending, especially backwards. If I do anything that bends me backwards, it will immediately bruise the disks, and I'll be in pain for a month

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps the most painful thing is going to be being laid up when a swell arrives AND I'm on vacation..

I'm going to try to visit urgent care. I cannot even walk. I'm moving around the house supporting myself on counters and grabbing doors. Right now the OTC remedies seem like pissing on a forest fire.

I'm worried because I'd been having a normal surf, catching waves. I don't remember any trauma. I was paddling back out and it just cramped up. You know, like when your foot arch or hamstring cramps up because of the cold. t just never went away and has been getting worse.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Hopefully it improves soon. I had the opposite of events. Hurt my back. Say out for a week+ for back in the water got sick as fuck. Missed Christmas waves. Still laid up. Get better!

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
~snip~
I'm worried because I'd been having a normal surf, catching waves. I don't remember any trauma. I was paddling back out and it just cramped up. You know, like when your foot arch or hamstring cramps up because of the cold. t just never went away and has been getting worse.
An old bro,
whom used to erBB, 'DogHouse Reily',
seen below dawn patrolin' Topanga last year:
AK1J0107.JPG
likes to drink pickle juice for immediate cramp relief...
Toss the pickles, drink the juice, said it was faster actin' for cramps...
Maybe try it? rw
:drowning:

Reactions: One-Off

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I went for a surf this AM, third day in a row of good surf, coming on the heels of a week of inactivity due to a cold/flu. It was going good then my lower back cramped up in a bad way. No trauma involved. I thought maybe it was the cold, I kept trying to stretch and twisting hoping it would go away, but it didn't. It was so painful just going from sitting to paddling that I got out. I could barely walk. Took me 20 minutes to get out of my suit because bending over to peel off the feet was too painful. When I got home I got out of the car in so much pain I was thinking I needed to go to the ER.

I took three Advil and sprayed a ton of Salonpas on the area. Spent the day in bed. Got up for dinner. I have to support myself on furniture or walls to move around. The slightest effort by the lower back and my pain shoots up to an 8 or 9. If it's like this tomorrow it's off to the ER....

Sound familiar to anyone? I sure hope it's not a serious deal. Never happened to me before.
I've been there and had similar reactions as you're having right now. I've been fortunate enough to find ways to provide myself with relief and manage these things to the point where I'm never down for a day or two and rarely dealing with something for longer than a week.

First things first. What you're experiencing isn't abnormal or indicative of pending catastrophe. It's not cancer, you aren't dying, and one false move isn't going to paralyze you.

Generally the worse thing to do is become immobile. If the pain has settled, not getting better not getting worse, it's time to get well. if you're still in an acute phase give yourself some time to settle and get your mind sorted.

Find an activity, even if it is simply walking, or standing up out of a chair, that you can do that over a period of time makes the pain better. While it doesn't seem possible today, things like air squats, long walks, etc will provide relief, sometimes temporary until you do them. Find a place to start.There's no good or bad or right or wrong. Something to get you on your feet and provide some relief.

Understand that this is going to be a process. Could be a few days to a few weeks but nothing is permanent. Accept small victories and keep pushing towards a goal.

Manage your expectations. Understand that it's going to take a bit of time and accept that you're working towards a goal here.

When symptoms improve slowly return to normal activity. As range of motion improves start taking bigger bites of the apple. Swimming, light jogs, long boarding etc. let pain be your guide but also don't let a bit of discomfort become a hurdle either.

If nothing helps or you're struggling with finding a place to start seek help from your DR. Give yourself a few days to get this sorted and develop the habit of managing day to day aches and pain that come from getting old. Running to the ER is only going to reinforce the negative association of pain with fight/flight response.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
I get this, but I get it in my neck. It's a muscle spasm, doubt you have any serious injury. You were probably dehydrated from being sick and stiff from not moving around.

Hot showers. Advil. These things are a life saver:

You can buy them at the Rite Aid (get the right size lol) or wherever. These things helped my neck go from pain level 9 and immobile to a 5 and starting to get better.

Whatever you do, don't totally rest. Keep moving within reason.

Honestly I never found SOMA/Muscle Relaxers to do much for my neck when I get spasms....they just make me sleepy and out of it. Your mileage may vary, but try the heat packs first. Do not ice.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’m waiting at the ER.

I have no plans to remain immobile. I do have to manage expectations. In the back of my mind is the swell arriving next week while I’m on vacation...fook me, am I going to miss out?

Right now just looking for some relief so I can walk, maybe tie my shoes...

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Damn the ER! Well, give the pills a try. I was posting here back in September asking about getting fooking opiods for my last neck spasm it was so bad lol. But seriously on the way home get those heating pads....they last 12 hours. I'm tellin ya it will help.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Damn the ER! Well, give the pills a try. I was posting here back in September asking about getting fooking opiods for my last neck spasm it was so bad lol. But seriously on the way home get those heating pads....they last 12 hours. I'm tellin ya it will help.
I remember. Hope you’re better.

They just gave me an nsaid injection, a steroidal injection and a Valium. The steroid is a fair punch in the arm. The nurse said they’ll wheel me out because of the valium I’ll be too “loopy” to walk with the hiking sticks I brought . My back is out and my left arm too. Ok focus is going haywire. Peace out. Check back later.....

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I remember. Hope you’re better.

They just gave me an nsaid injection, a steroidal injection and a Valium. The steroid is a fair pinch in the arm. The nurse said they’ll wheel me out because i’ll Be too “loopy” to walk with the hiking sticks I brought . My back is out and my left arm too. Ok focus is going haywire. Peace out. Check back later.....
Good luck, getting hurt suckss