Fook me!!! A short story about a fish...

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Went for a short surf this morning early. Really early to beat the wind. It was wind swept anyways... Caught some long rides, straight with many cutbacks. As I'm paddling back out for one last one, asking myself, why? I saw a friends boat coming back from a night fishing, way way outside. I knew it by the bright colors immediately, and knowing the Fat Red Tuna are running through, I thought it'd be a good idea to go meet him at the dock as he pulled in. Caught a last one, ran to the car, dried off, and off I went.

Got to the dock before him, so I parked, rolled a fattie, and strolled down when I saw him come in.

OMG, what a GREAT IDEA THAT WAS!!!

Handed him the fattie, he smiled ear to ear and asked how I knew, and that he'd been up all night, was super stressed because he barely made it back... low on fuel. But so happy, now that his day was done, and I "blessed" the start of his relax. I was about to turn and head home when he barked, "hey! where you going? you're not leaving here empty handed!!! NO WAY!".

SO GLAD I WENT....

20210508_134953.jpg

IMG-20210508-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20210508-WA0001.jpeg

Just over a kilo (2.2 lbs)... STOCKED FOR THE WEEKEND, CHOCK FULL OF STOCK!

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
No idea... I am stoopid about fish, except when it comes to cooking and eating them.

I'd assume it's yellow though.. :shrug: they did have yellow tips on the bigger ones.

Edit: after googling pics, confirm blue. Not yellow. They weren't as shiny as the yellow ones.

Reactions: mundus

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The thick red stuff is getting sashimi'd.

The steak in the picture I made for my moms, 35 seconds a side on a hot pan with a dash of olive oil. Sprinkle of sea salt, and parsley and fried challots over top... She licked her fingers!;)

Reactions: Jonahbrah

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
9'4 did you take a pic of the actual fish? not just pieces of the fish? 'cause its just another fish story if there aren't pics! :roflmao: :shaka: :waving:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Do not overcook the bluefin, yellowfin can be cooked all the way through if wanted but bluefin tend to get fishy if cooked all the way through.

Reactions: SlicedFeet

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
9'4 did you take a pic of the actual fish? not just pieces of the fish? 'cause its just another fish story if there aren't pics! :roflmao: :shaka: :waving:
No mobile phone with me at the time, it was in the car hanger thingie. But my buddy told me this chunk came off a 800+ kilo bad boy. :jamon:

Reactions: JBerry

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
800 killos would a close to world record for bluefin. Correction world record is 1496 lbs some larger may have been caught by the commercials

Last edited:

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
That’s the goods. I personally don’t see or taste a big difference between yft and bft that I’ve caught locally. Yeah the blue fin get bigger and you can get larger pieces but taste wise they are the same to me. Raw or seared at most. Don’t be cooking that all the way!

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Treinta segundos cada lado para los filetes, sartén muy caliente y poco aceite.

Carne oscura, sashimi directamente... Fish liver always raw.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
That's a nice hunk of goodness there.
Looks like BF.
Dinner the first night of our LR trip. Blackened BFT caught on the previous trip.
IMG_0565.jpg

Reactions: keenfish