Foils in Crowded Lineups

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Autoprax said:
shiver_me_timbers said:
After spending a week in PPK's neighborhood and seeing how many foils are flying around Middles, its obvious to me that foils are here to stay. They're more exciting than SUP by far, and very adaptable to every discipline (kite, windsurf, prone paddle, SUP, etc). Where I was struggling to paddle in on a 9'6" SUP, my buddy on the foil (that's his board that PPK posted) was taking two or three paddles and then pumping the foil onto the wave and taking off.

Sunset Cliffs will be a great place for foiling, especially at high tide when its not quite breaking.

While surfing I saw Laird and someone else in his little aluminum boat, coming back in, with foils in the boat. So I guess you can continue to blame him. ;)

Pretty cool to see the enthusiasm of the foiling tribe. Its refreshing to see so much stock.

Here is a pic of TJ foiling last week on a non-breaking swell. If you want a foil, he is a distributor (except for HI). PM me and I'll put you in touch with him. No, I don't get any $$ for that.
To me, the cool thing about the foil is you don't need to surf quality waves in a crowded line up.

That is exciting at this point.

Yep, the cool thing about foils is they don't need to surf quality waves in a crowded line up.....

What will be exciting is when they do (might?) enter a crowded line up and the waves are really pumping, double over head plus, in waves that have some degree of consequence.

That would be something to see....

Still waiting for the sends, tomahawks and scorpions.... I guess I will have to wait and see.

.....I am goingoutside now....we all know the feeling of being caught inside.....

...I wonder what it feels like to be caught inside on a big day with a foil?

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Currently foil design isn’t for over head or even hollow waves so they’ll never be seen in standard surfing waves.
The foils are designed to create a lot of lift on small waves , in bigger waves they’re unstable that’s why no ones taking off at Pipe on one.
But it will happen.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
SURFFOILS said:
Currently foil design isn’t for over head or even hollow waves so they’ll never be seen in standard surfing waves.
The foils are designed to create a lot of lift on small waves , in bigger waves they’re unstable that’s why no ones taking off at Pipe on one.
But it will happen.
It may, and probably will, but my thoughts are that "the mast" will have to be shorter and perhaps the foils, even Wider apart for both foils, front and back ~ personal theory, is all ~

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
ay caramba boyz, it's already in the surf. just cause it hasn't happened in hi yet, doesn't mean it's not already going down somewhere else in the surfing world.

it has expanded a bit in the past three four decades ya know?

:shrug:

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The width isn’t necessary, it’s kinds like riding a bike, once you get going it has its own balance sideways.

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/how-to-build-your-own-surfcraft-hydrofoil?page=19

Oct 24, 2017
Kaimukisia
SURFFOILS said:
...so they’ll never be seen in standard surfing waves.
Obviously you didn't read the original post. They are already in the lineup in "standard surfing waves" Most surfing occurs in neither overhead nor hollow surf.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Biggest I've gone out with DK and friends, was 4-5' (HI) at Pier 1. Conditions were pristine with no wind and it was lined up good. The speed is addicting. Rolling up and down the face on bigger swell without having to pump is soo much fun.

I only have the Kai foil which is the smaller one from GoFoil, so when it's under head hi I gotta do abit of work over the flatter spots.

There also different lengths of the mast, the part that connects the wing to the board. Mine is 24" but think I'd like to try longer.

Been hearing about spots on O'ahu that may draw us over there in the summer when here on Maui get's blocked.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
just wait until you see one of those foils after the rider has fallen off, the leash has detached and it has a headhigh wall of foam behind it tomahawking it down the line. duck, duck, goose!

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
tenover said:
Check Dave Kalama's IG from today... :eek:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbsNquclAs4/
Austin is pushing the limits of equipment abuse. Wonder what the tolerance of the carbon mast will be. :shrug:

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Check Dave Kalama's IG from today... shocked

I have never seen such forgiving rails!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
sickdog said:
Check Dave Kalama's IG from today... shocked

I have never seen such forgiving rails!
I'm sure that is fun but it looks goofy. Like trick roller skating.