Foils at Swamis

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
With the foil thing, nobody cares what the windsurfers do in their optimum conditions and nobody cares what the body surfers and body boarders do in dumpy conditions they excel at, and nobody cares what the SUPs do in their native habitat. So it will be with the foilers - fine for the conditions they were aiming at but when it comes to these little congested surf zones it will be better for all concerned it they stay in their lane.

If someone took up SUPs or foils in order to get away from the surfers then by all means - go do that and have fun.

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Kauai
Any wave worth riding is going to be less than optimum for foilers, but some poor schmucks are going to get decapitated and some serious lawsuits will ban them near surfers for certain breaks. Don’t blame laird or do, but he himself navigates the crowds with his foil in a pretty safe way. Plus now I can drop into a 10 footer when he’s out and he can’t fade me all the way after he drops in. I am sure all Hanalei and middles regulars will wholeheartedly agree! ! Laird used to
Drop in on anyone and everyone and fade them with a 12 foot sup!! He is allowed through alpha status or something but it is way better now!

Apr 14, 2018
Leaverite said:
I'm sure that guy Laird ran over with his SUP at Malibu on that big south a few years ago agrees...

Did Laird paddle over him in the line-up, or was it Lairds fault the guy paddled in front of him while Laird was riding a wave? Was it a 4 wave hold down? That's been happening a lot,

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
THE FUTURE :

"Surfed Hanalei a few weeks ago and there were a bunch of foilers way outside, towing in. But there was also a guy, right in the middle of everyone, paddling in and foiling. He was really good, and would just burn everybody and go flying through the crowd down the line, at what looked like 35 mph. Was sketchy for sure, when he'd pass you, 10 feet away."

Many spots have been lost to SUP's in Hawaii

Foiling has entered those same spots - lots of video proof already .

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Fark SUP's and Foils

a guy I know went to the dark side, only SUPs now. He was claiming barrels. If he asked me if I saw, I'd tell him it doesn't count.

He recently got all defensive of a post surfjournalist posted on insta. yeah, chas was talking specifically to you buddy. those who can't, SUP.