foiling podcasts

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Why is unifoil/signature taking over the instagram influencer foil world? Are their foils that much better? Or are they just sending product to all these people?

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Why is unifoil/signature taking over the instagram influencer foil world? Are their foils that much better? Or are they just sending product to all these people?
i reckon they must be buffing people up quite a bit, they clearly look really good but foilwizard is still at the top of the tree for me and he's still sticking on the old lift 170 fish.

also heard unifoil have upped their prices recently now they're in full production mode and have a few distributors.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Maybe that’s the case, the buffing of gear...then again it’s very nice stuff, I’d love to get filthy hand on some.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
hey grendal!!! whats the sig gear like compared to the other stuff you've ridden?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
hey grendal!!! whats the sig gear like compared to the other stuff you've ridden?
Sig gear is solid and I expect the Uni stuff is too, they are basically the same manufacturer. We have a pretty rough bottom at San O and the scratch factor is pretty high on lower tides. My Sig gear has a heavy paint job and it's stood up really well comapred to other stuff I've ridden. My MFC wings look pretty beat up since they are hot coat only.

Only complaint I have with the SIG gear is the mast holes don't exactly lineup and I hade to do a little filing to make parts fit flush.

Reactions: sozzle

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Which one rides the best out of everything you’ve tried? Are the differences in ride performance that drastic between the top brands?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Which one rides the best out of everything you’ve tried? Are the differences in ride performance that drastic between the top brands?
I really like the Signature gear, especially the Stealth 175. It's really user friendly and will go as far as you want to push it, it'll work in all conditions.

The Signature stuff doesn't really have that "built-in lift" of other brands though, so it can be a drawback if the waves are really slow or small.

I don't think the ride performance is drastic between brands, but their are definitely quirks from brand to brand. MFC is twitchy, Signature doesn't lift quickly, Naish is heavy, etc.

A friend of mine rides Armstrong gear, I tried it once. Really good stuff and he never talks about changing foils. He’s a pretty big gear hound too, will decide he doesn’t like something after one try.

Reactions: sozzle and Topmick

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Oh regarding that guys statement about his back leg burning and being more built than his front leg. It seems the consensus among the more experience foilers is that his foil is to far back in the box. I have noticed that when I leave my mast placement back in the box for bigger waves my leg burns more. I'm wondering if I should move mine even further forward now.

Naish Large and I have it placed forward of center in the box. I've never measured the distance to the tail, maybe I should.
I put my mast around 11 inches from tail then adjust. I also ordered thumb screws so I can adjust position on in the water.