foiling podcasts

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
new episode with Clifford Coetzer the designer for UniFoil and Signature, and of albatross 210 fame.

just starting to listen now but should be gold for more design based views

Episode 9:
https://soundcloud.com/progressionproject/clifford-coetzer-of-unifoil-designer-of-the-famous-210-hyper-and-albatross

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
There were a couple of guys here on f-one gear last week who were going really well on it, didn’t get to see what size wings but one guy was pumping around a large rippy lineup like a bull on heat, impressive to see.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Did you guys suggest any questions? I told him to ask Mizo what he thinks of all these guys who have to put straps on their boards to do airs :)

I've been riding a normal board the last few days. I'm feeling unfulfilled after my surfs. I think I'm allergic to crowds is the main issue.

Reactions: surfdad

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm halfway through. Very interesting considering I"m looking at a Lift 200 classic on craigslist currently. :)

Reactions: sozzle

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I'm halfway through. Very interesting considering I"m looking at a Lift 200 classic on craigslist currently. :)
i thought it was a great episode, what a good dude, and yeh, the lift foils certainly sound something special.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Gregfoil should chime in here. He's said something to the effect of lift foils pump like the MFC's. Really fast on the wave, but you have to carry your speed. Not pump machines. It's still sounding like, from the things I can piece together. Uni/Signature/foil hit's the sweet spot for surfability plus pumping.

The high aspect thing is interesting. For sure better pump. They turn different though. BUT, you can breech wingtips to make them turn harder IE derek hama. So maybe you just have to learn to push them harder. I dunno.

Gregfoil is on the Axis 900, which is high aspect, but not as extreme as the signature albatross or Gofoil Gl's it seems. I wonder if it's a good compromise. Greg and Larryfoiler sure make it look good. I've never seen one used here though.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
i still think the best surf style foiling i've seen has been on the lift 170 and the mfc foils, i still think theres another generation or two to move through until companies are producing a foil that does both really well.
btw gregfoil can't be bothered to use a vpn to access the forum form france so can't imagine him coming back here.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Why does france block this forum? That's lame.

I go back and forth between thinking I want a foil that has a surf style, to thinking I want a high aspect foil I can pump for an hour. Then I just keep riding my 2018 Naish. Paying quarterlies is no fun.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Why does france block this forum? That's lame.

I go back and forth between thinking I want a foil that has a surf style, to thinking I want a high aspect foil I can pump for an hour. Then I just keep riding my 2018 Naish. Paying quarterlies is no fun.
Not just this forum, and not just France, the whole of Europe and uk, gdpr data protection and copyright laws brought in early this year caused a lot of global internet censorship in a backdoor kind of way if certain sites don’t meet the newer regulations

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I've regular surfed Pacasmayo years ago. 10-12 foot faces, longest waves of my life. BUT, I only caught 5 waves on the big day. I was to tired after 1 paddle back and 3 walk backs to walk back up and paddle out again. The walk would take 20 minutes, then the paddle out was brutal through lines of white water.

The zodiac at Chicama is the game changer I bet. A hand kite at Pacasmayo would be even better.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Just finished the Mizo podcast. Want to go to Chicama now.
I worked over there some time back...I married a Peruvian girl and had some of my honeymoon in Chicama. Oh my god, what I would give to foil that place...it was almost always just a little too weak and quick on a shortboard, but it would be mint on a foil.

Would you believe me if I told you there were even better setups on that coast?! Not just Pacasmayo.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I worked over there some time back...I married a Peruvian girl and had some of my honeymoon in Chicama. Oh my god, what I would give to foil that place...it was almost always just a little too weak and quick on a shortboard, but it would be mint on a foil.

Would you believe me if I told you there were even better setups on that coast?! Not just Pacasmayo.
We did our honeymoon hiking the Inca trail. No surf for me. Would love to go back someday. Goofy.