Foilers Podcast Series

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
yeaaaaah...NOT 100%winging anymore...i swear hookipa is sooo friken hard to ride...even on a surfboard.. warbly backwashy crosscurrent bumpy...i kept getting thrown all over the damn place...GoFoil

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I signed up. Haven't had a chance to explore it, yet.

Interesting about how he focuses on pushing down, instead of jumping up. Might explain why he favors pushing his arms down and back vs. lifting them up.

I can't pump, but I'll figure it out one day. I'm infinitely more interested in doing turns like him, though, so I enjoyed his talk about that aspect of his foiling. Probably the best style out there right now, IMO. I'd say Jason is close second, maybe Mizo, third.

Growing up watching Curren and Occy, I think style is almost everything I care about.

Also: he did a good job selling straps.

Last edited:

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Joined at foilzone.

Gave the foil wizard pod a second listen today, liked his take on shortboarding and how it's more a state of mind to think your skills are suffering from foiling.

I tried a couple of his pump tricks, water shake was already kinda what i've been doing. I could never do the full arm swings, felt too weird. I did have some success with the ankle and calf pumping and linked a nice long triple dip not burning myself out right away.

Reactions: ghostshaper

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Joined too, yay, more time wasting procrastination options! I can add it my regressive feedback loop.

Foilwizard podcast was interesting. I listened to the pumping section more than once...man o man, seems like they are talking a different language, one of those "obvious when you know how" type things. I want to work on this aspect of foiling, but it ain't coming easy.

Good reminders on style too. That is something I am also working on ... lose the low cente of gravity power stance, straighten the back, shorten the stance, think smooth flowing lines. In a prior podcast, Keahi d.a. said to resist the urge to pump when going down the line, gain speed by making small turns instead. That's a biggie! For all of these style issues, photos help, but video is key ... way back in the early surf days, that was a big helping of humble pie, thinking I was pretty rad, then seeing the video that definitively proves otherwise ... but you can't fix it if you don't know.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
After listening to foil wizard podcast I went to San O. Never have pumped back out a d connected a wave. Well today I did. I was so stocked!!!! Back at it tomorrow. Looking further ahead was key note for me.
Just saw progression project’s stories. Go check them if you haven’t surfdad.

Reactions: surfdad

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
its actuallypretty good...i been out with foilwizard any number if times and thought hes good but more importantly he does have some really good ideas and is very articulate and can explain them very well...so much so that i have realized i need to relearn EVERYTHING i know about foiling with his new information in mind...brute forcing everything can only take you so far

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
its actuallypretty good...i been out with foilwizard any number if times and thought hes good but more importantly he does have some really good ideas and is very articulate and can explain them very well...so much so that i have realized i need to relearn EVERYTHING i know about foiling with his new information in mind...brute forcing everything can only take you so far
I have now watched Kaser's repost of slo mo pump technique 100 times over and over ... http://instagr.am/p/CHOexzFjLsH/ And I had the exact same thought, thank you putting words to it. I am half-heartedly attempting to learn to pump, it comes easy some days, others not even close ... but above all, I now realize I too am attempting to "brute force" it rather than thinking it through and being systematic. I need to slow down and re-think this, which is hard work (like many years ago trying to get better at golf, the instructor saying I needed to completely re-learn my stroke, and I just couldn't make myself do it, so forever a duffer/hack).

OK, pump monkey pros, help me a few understand things ... explain it like I am 5 year old. :crazy2:

Throwing water ... that's what foilwizard said, and seeing video I now see what he meant. Just before the peak of the pump, he uses his arms to push his body forward....the arms set the momentum for the body.

On one of these, right at peak of pushing water, I can see his back foot lift off the board...so his back foot is unweighted, appears he is nearly jumping forward off the board. Aha.

Meanwhile, his legs are continuously pumping while his upper body resets ... and I counted....it is three leg pumps to every 'water throw'. So, if the water throw is giving the forward momentum, are the other 2 leg pumps more just relevelling/repositioning type pumps? (meaning bring the foil up to surface and down again, but without a forward push).

Is that on the right track? A couple aha's to work on. And then once I get my head around that, I can focus on next specifics like leg weighting (which still boggle my mind).

On a similar note: My wife was a competitive swimmer and coach back in the day, she talked about teaching triathletes to kick, they may be kicking their feet faster and harder than anyone else, but they are not getting anywhere until they get their entire body into it, it's a whip, not a piston. She said it's "whole-part", not "part-whole"....maybe that means something to other actual serious athletes? :) Seems exactly the same here. Ultimately, it is dancing, you don't more your feet, you move your whole body with the rhythm. And it is all fundamentally core based. So in getting my head into this, I also know it is time to start working out, if I ever want to really get it. As I am sadly no longer 25 and made of wound-up elastic bands.

Goals and challenges are rad, focus!

Reactions: grendel95

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
That guy in k1’s video is real good. And his arms are longer than a super models legs. But I’d say he’s actually letting the board get to nose up at the end there.

His arm motion is great though. Both arms forward. Then on the pump it’s as if he’s a skier pushing out of the gate. He’s propelling himself forward with his hands. That’s what foilwizard meant when he said pulling on two ropes. Then the hands have to get forward again so they come forward and reset.

Here is one of the best in the pump game. Check out how close @kdmaui puts his feet and where.

http://instagr.am/p/CFBnunVjUca/
I’ve been trying to keep my back real straight. When you’re going good you can do the small calf and ankle pumps more efficiently if you’re straight up. Not wasting energy trying to keep your back bent over.

To regain speed and reset to higher on the mast I do end up bending over my back a bit though. Should probably work on that more.

Gonna get the f32 in the water tomorrow hopefully.

Reactions: grendel95
Mar 20, 2019
My pump tips:
Keep foil as high as you can. When pumping out use oncoming waves as a level up to get back high on foil. Don't pump on the back of the wave, just stay high and glide.

Think about leaning forward when you pump. Example try running straight up and down, then run leaning forward, you'll go faster.

I often do 2 mini pumps, then 1 big pump. For me the big pump is the get back up to as high as possible pump.

Back foot slides forward (off my tail pad) and heel comes up on the pump.

I'm going to have to try using more foot/ankle pumps. I know the feeling, but for some reason can't always make it happen.