Foil Surfing

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I did make one (putting some finishing touches on it this morning). I posted a "nearly done" pic in the thread over at Swaylocks.

But this is Kaser's thread and they're talking about the foil trend among the SUP guys so I don't want to threadjack.

The design I'm using is one Surffoils developed for microwave gliding (not "ripping"), and as he says it's all over there in the Swaylocks thread.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Please consider starting a new thread on this forum. If your board works I will try to make one similar. Also, wouldn't it make sense to put some fins on the bottom of the foil itself, to keep from spinning out, or should the struts or mast keep that from happening?

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I can see why people bred on the goFoil advertising would think that nothing else works but Google ‘Hydrofoil surfboard’ and look around and there’s a lot of new variations and old pioneers who used prone or standup foils long before I did and decades before Laird or Kai. Gilbert Lum in Hawaii and Terry Hendricks in Ca. were surffoiling since the 1970’s. Foiling is a basic concept of a fin laying on its side that lifts. Almost every foil design works to some degree and it’s not so much making it work which is easy, but refining it for what you want to do. There’s a long way to go with foil design and it won’t suit everyone but there’s a good number of surf and ocean sports that’s will enjoy trying foiling. I’ve got some old videos on Vimeo of very basic flat ply foils on prone boards that are fast and easily tube ride. Kai blew everyone’s mind because no one thought it was possible but there’s a lot more to come.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
GDaddy said:
I did make one (putting some finishing touches on it this morning). I posted a "nearly done" pic in the thread over at Swaylocks.

But this is Kaser's thread and they're talking about the foil trend among the SUP guys so I don't want to threadjack.

The design I'm using is one Surffoils developed for microwave gliding (not "ripping"), and as he says it's all over there in the Swaylocks thread.
Thanks but post away. The more content on the subject the better. I think the subject as a whole will encourage independent thought and possibly re-kindle some people's stock to do something in the ocean that produces pleasure. :wave2:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Kaser1 said:
GDaddy said:

Thanks but post away. The more content on the subject the better. I think the subject as a whole will encourage independent thought and possibly re-kindle some people's stock to do something in the ocean that produces pleasure. :wave2:
oh, you mean like.....

.....actually surfing?

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
git yer google translate on boyz...

http://www.costasurf.com/foros/diy-surf-hazlo-tu-mismo-41/hydrofoil-muy-economico-por-asier-esnal/

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
git yer google translate on boyz...

http://www.costasurf.com/foros/diy-surf-hazlo-tu-mismo-41/hydrofoil-muy-economico-por-asier-esnal/

:dancing: :smokin: :socrazy: :shrug: :rolleyes: :foreheadslap:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
SurfFuerte said:
Kaser1 said:
GDaddy said:

oh, you mean like.....

.....actually surfing?
If foil surfing has been around for so long, why has nobody seen it before now? And I'm not talking about tow foil.

Is it because the technology and materials weren't there? Is SUP the catalyst?

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
dooooood, we know already, no pics, it neva happen.

what would all these "inventors" of new trends of instagram do if the internet and the gram had existed in say, the sixties?

riiiiiiight?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :tomato:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
SurfFuerte said:
dooooood, we know already, no pics, it neva happen.

what would all these "inventors" of new trends of instagram do if the internet and the gram had existed in say, the sixties?

riiiiiiight?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :tomato:
soooo there weren't any cameras in the 60's?
riiiiiiight?
:loser:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
sure, i think george greenough and a few others (i sux at names) were at it... but the craze of self promotion was lacking me thinks. it certainly seemed, at least to me, as documentarion rather than look at meeeeeism.

but whatever, i am happy u r happy. that's all life's about right? have fun...

i know i sound stand-offish sometimes and heckle a LOT, those who trained me as a kid were hard... what can i say.

if i heckle u, it's just me sayin i <3 care.

peas.
9'4"

p.s. check out my basque friends foil design, kids a feak when it comes to designing stuff... he moght be of use to you guys out there. we spaniards come cheap lately, no jobs here so what the hell.... chek him out, on the link i posted above. it's a different design to what you guys are using, has a double wing up front. in the shape of a rectangle.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
SurfFuerte said:
sure, i think george greenough and a few others (i sux at names) were at it... but the craze of self promotion was lacking me thinks. it certainly seemed, at least to me, as documentarion rather than look at meeeeeism.
Bollocks
If there were rear facing cameras back then garanz there'd be plenty of selfies. :applause:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The who was first discussion doesn't resonate with me. I care more about what a design can do for me.

I know Surffoils and one or two others have been posting on hydrofoils for years over on Sways. And although he's done most of his own R&D on prone boards (which is arguably harder to control due to having a more limited range of motion for maintaining balance, I can think of at least one thread involving him mounting them on surfboards from about 5 years ago. I just never got involved with them before this year because I was working on different stuff.

AFAICT the SUP crew has adopted kiteboarding foils, whereas Surfoils is working on a pretty different design track of his own. He's following the classic example of backyarders making their own way, under the radar.

My Surfoils-design rig is finished but there's a swell in town so I'm going to wait for a lull to see for myself what is and isn't with his design. The two guys in AUS who already got theirs into the water both reported getting some flight in their first sessions. No towing involved. I think that's an encouraging sign.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
Wow Greg that is some very sexy fabrication and design. I am not sure I get the kite surfing with all that kit below the board, don't those guys like air and twisting and stuff?

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Kaser1 said:
SurfFuerte said:
Bollocks
If there were rear facing cameras back then garanz there'd be plenty of selfies. :applause:
:shameonyou: :foreheadslap: :rolleyes: :bigdeal:

r u sirius?

george prolly INVENTED the rear facing camera... yeah, you musta seen the inner most limits of fun, yes?

when i met the fella, i have to tell you, the impression he gave me in the short five minutes of legend presence i was alotted, surely left me with quite a different impression.... it was pre-go pro. but... i'd be willing to bet that if george read that? he'd dig up his old shoulder mount behemoth and come happily insert it into an orifice of his choice on your sunny side up parts when you use your boog to lay down n surf.

really kaseruno, that huge thing mounted on his shoulder to catch the barrel behind him couldn't have been adjusted to show his "selfie smile" ....

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :socrazy: :shrug: :rolleyes:

the shirt one gets to read in this place is nothing short of UNbelievable.

"60's surfers looking for selfies" is the name of my new band, just haven't decided the genre we're going to cover of mexicali speed metal punk yet. will get back atcha when i do though.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :bowdown: thanks for the laughs... i needed that!

oh brother....