Foil Surfing

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Greg Griffin said:
Kaser1
Do you agree with everyone either promoting for business or just how fun this is - it will grow to the point that its less fun due to too many participating . :computer:

Theres Nothing negative towards anybody in this observation .

This is how it works .
People need to make money to live, some do it in the water sports industry. They make things so that you can spend more time in the water having fun. They do it to make a profit ultimately. Capitalism has been around for a long time, it's nothing new.

GoPro, SUP, Foil, Windsurf, Kitesurf, Surfboards, Surf fins, etc... Biching about a new ocean sport industry will do nothing positive. I think that those that make boards need to embrace what's coming and get in on it now to carve out a nitch. Marlon Lewis has done that here on Maui, he's pretty much the go to guy if you want a prone surfboard for foil. Kazuma, Timpone, Ordanez, all haven't been pushing for this yet but I can see demand already rising and they'll be alittle behind the curve as the foilboards don't have the same characteristics of a surfboard like you might think. It's not rocket science, but there are things to consider you'd not realized until you surf one.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
PPK96754 said:
1) Is Ilima riding a Foil?

2) Tell David, Uncle Peter like try ~ :tomato:

3) As much as I phuck with you ~ ^5 ~ You, be having the most Fun :cheers:
Nah, Ilima hasn't been seen on a foil yet. But Austin, Dave's oldest son is pushing the envolope on the foil. He's already boosting air 360's, there's video of it that Brett Lickle shot from the drone recently. I'll try and dig it up and share.

I'll let Dave know you'd wanna try, when he gets back from Florida. I know u jus messin ; 0

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
SURFFOILS said:
You can add a foil to any surfboard you’ve got, you don’t need a custom.

So a twofer, for the price of one. Thurster surfboard OR one can pull the 3 fins from the board and ..... ??
Attach your system to the same surfboard, says, how bout a 6'0", even number.
Does size, make a difference on the length of the board for optimum performance?
And one photo doest reveal it's full potential. :wink2:

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
It’s all here, you can make a foil for less than $50 and change it in and out as you like. Any board will do.

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/how-to-build-your-own-surfcraft-hydrofoil

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Kaser1

In answer to your reply , I'm a huge fan of Laird with what he has done and doing it all during the beginning of each water craft .

Those boards did not work as well as todays , he has a lot to be thanked for in his pioneering and his still unmatched performance in tow in .

Side note Windsurfing was a real bummer when it came to Backyards for us surfers . :drowning:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Mr Doof said:
Greg Griffin said:
Its going to be very big quickly....

It's going to be big due to the different applications, wake, surf, SUP, Kite, Windsurf, etc..

That's a pretty wide audience, and a ton of money to be made. :shrug:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This video is why I bought foil wake board.

Will try next week.

That he can plane on that tiny wake is really interesting.

Hi Greg!

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Kaser, have you seen anyone using a homemade foil, like the builds they're showing on swaylocks?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
1whoknows said:
Kaser, have you seen anyone using a homemade foil, like the builds they're showing on swaylocks?
nope, but I did take a look at that thread on SW. some of that stuff i doubt works at all.

reminds me of old footage of first flight attempts...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-ZktmjIfE[/video]

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I guess we'll find out. what's funny is how long surffoils has been doing foils (14+ years), and now it's starting to blow up.

design related:
he did say that even the big companies are starting to go w/ shorter masts. he said he's doing 4", so that he can still turn off the rail. he recommended starting at 8-12" for regular surfers starting out.

also, he talked about the use of dual fore/aft wings that the big companies are using, and how they're conducive to pumping that you see Kai doing.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
He has vids of these different foil shapes working in bodyboards, and he's been doing handplanes with them. I think there's something there.

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Kauai
This foil is going to be really cheap in the US. Could not find it for sale yet on any us websites
But I know the guys who designed it and it is going to be sold for about 900 bucks when it comes out in the next few
Months. They are making them in Germany and somehow they are cheaper. Also, having a plate mount is way better than having to shape a board for a tuttle box. If I figure out how to post pics I will put one when I get my new foil next week.

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Kauai
This foil is going to be really cheap in the US. Could not find it for sale yet on any us websites
But I know the guys who designed it and it is going to be sold for about 900 bucks when it comes out in the next few
Months. They are making them in Germany and somehow they are cheaper. Also, having a plate mount is way better than having to shape a board for a tuttle box. If I figure out how to post pics I will put one when I get my new foil next week.

https://www.surffx.com.au/product/fanatic-flow-foil-s1/