Foil Surfing

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Who invented the term "prone surfing"?

I am pretty sure it wasn't the guys who just surf.....

Go look up the word "prone"

So sad....

Makes me cringe when I read it or hear it....

It is an invention of the Toe-Moto's and SUP'ers etc.

The term has been used in this thread, please strike it from your mind
there is no such thing, unless you are a beginner learning how to surf.

....I am goinoutside now.....

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Some thoughts about the topic of hydro-foiling.

To me, if you bolt on a hydro-foil to your wave-storm and tow-in at Kelly's wave farm
with your go-pro mounted on your insta-gram helmet with your carbon-fibre paddle in your hands,
I have no concern....

The concern I might have is, if one shows up at a local break this winter with such an above
mentioned device and proceeds to do the "Bob-ing" thing, with the up and down motion into the line-up at any given break with a good size swell running and the regulars in the line-up.....

I haven't seen it yet, the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. I have yet to see a "Foiler"
enter the critical zone in waves that are of a significant consequence category, like a throwing, top
to bottom, double over-head wave. I know some of the outer-island guys have been doing it towing on big, big days at certain spots. But tow-surfing is tow-surfing, not regular surfing, it is another thing altogether.

The size of the waves and the conditions usually are the "equilizer" as to what or where can
be ridden on any given day.

Time will tell, this winter, it will be interesting if these things show up on the days when the surf
is really pumping..... I am wondering if I will see any in the line-ups?

.....I am goingoutside now....there might be a swell on the way....soon.....

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
goingout said:
..."Time will tell, this winter, it will be interesting if these things show up on the days when the surf is really pumping..... I am wondering if I will see any in the line-ups?"...
Who(m) will want to get rag dolled with a board that doesn't flex and has a crucifix bolted to the bottom side?

Thinking about this more...There will be a crossover period where there are these guys, way out on the shoulder, getting in earlier than you and blasting down the line closer to the channel. Maybe it's a nice sunny day and they are having a great time. You might be on the peak with 30 other guys waiting your turn to challenge yourself but these guys are getting theirs. It's not the same experience as what you have been working on all these years but is it a worthy pursuit? Seems like we are seeing that it "might" be.

I know I like to feel a bit of speed and glide but I really like to work top to bottom too and I don't see this as possible, or safe, with the current designs of these foils.

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Foiling is not exactly like surfing but the diff is exciting. It’s quiet, glass smooth and very fast even on small waves and it involves learning new techniques that put you in a new part of the wave. It also gives you a ride that lasts for 10 times longer than a standard surfboard wave covering 100s of yards. It’s very satisfying to go foiling and spend so much time actually riding the wave. If you get the chance to try it you’ll find it’s challenging but rewarding and you can get foils from China for $300 or there’s ClearWater Foils that you build yourself or there’s a ton of DIY foil design and theory available. You should be able to build one and add it to any surfboard for about $50.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Mr_Stagger_Lee said:
goingout said:
..."Time will tell, this winter, it will be interesting if these things show up on the days when the surf is really pumping..... I am wondering if I will see any in the line-ups?"...

Thinking about this more...There will be a crossover period where there are these guys, way out on the shoulder, getting in earlier than you and blasting down the line closer to the channel. Maybe it's a nice sunny day and they are having a great time. You might be on the peak with 30 other guys waiting your turn to challenge yourself but these guys are getting theirs. It's not the same experience as what you have been working on all these years but is it a worthy pursuit? Seems like we are seeing that it "might" be.

^^^^^^^
THIS
:wave2:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc[/video]