Foil Surfing

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I have to admit, it looks really fun but I can't imagine being out in the lineup with a dozen or more Ginsu knives slicing around me.
What is hilarious looking to me is 4-5 of them doing the up and down hop, looks like a lot of work.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Saw my first one locally last week when driving home and checking the surf. I was kind of intrigued and kind of bummed at the same time. Granted he was getting out of the water at a spot that I never surf (fat wave, good for SUPs). Really hoping they don't start showing up everywhere.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Kaser1 said:
Anyone else doing it? I'm having a blast :wave2:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :trout:
nope.

for two reasons....

a-) eat a high fibre diet and am scared of crapping my pants with all that hopping up and down....

and

2-) have always secretly hated the huntington hop, foil surfing seems to require this manouver frequently.

butt, you sure seem to be having fun with it, not that there's anything wrong with that.

the approval seeking part does come across as a bit religous dude knocking on my door trying to convert me to convince himself that his religion is the true and only one though.

:pokestick:

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Foil surfing looks fun to me. But I see how it could become an annoyance. Seems like foils should be at different spots.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Clayster said:
Foil surfing looks fun to me. But I see how it could become an annoyance. Seems like foils should be at different spots.

Similar things were said about SUP's when they started to show up.

A "novelty" without responsibility can lead to.... (you fill in the rest)

Try telling that to the blonde haired guy with eyes of a Kauai prize fighting rooster....

BAGGGAAKKK!!!!! Watch out comming tru!

.....I am goingoutside now....

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
Greg Griffin said:
Anyone else doing it? I'm having a blast

It is really interesting

And

All this- look at what I'm doing !! - leads directly to too many doing it . :drowning:
Kuno seems to actually having a great time and is really in with the true inventors and innovators of this. Unlike some people who just say they were around some of the legends.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
SBSteve said:
I have to admit, it looks really fun but I can't imagine being out in the lineup with a dozen or more Ginsu knives slicing around me.
What is hilarious looking to me is 4-5 of them doing the up and down hop, looks like a lot of work.
The up and down helps keep water moving over the wing, keeps you going. What you may not know is that they're different size wings. The GoFoil has a "Maliko" which is the biggest that's primarily designed for downwinders, but is also used to surf in smaller conditions. This is what I learned on.

I have the "Kai" which is abit smaller and more agile..turns better but not as much lift...so takes a bigger swell to stay on or you have to pump more. But ultimately goes faster than the Maliko.

I think the speed is the bulk of the addiction. I've reached speeds, without pumping, that I've never had on a surfboard.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
The fact that you enjoy so many different aspects of ocean life is a stocker as far as I'm concerned. Your posts are always about you or someone else having fun int the water. Keep it up! :wave2: :jam_on:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Drumsurf said:
Saw my first one locally last week when driving home and checking the surf. I was kind of intrigued and kind of bummed at the same time. Granted he was getting out of the water at a spot that I never surf (fat wave, good for SUPs). Really hoping they don't start showing up everywhere.
That's the type of wave the foil is the most fun. Fat and slopey, typically a SUP wave. Not a normal surfboard wave. We go spots that are typical longboard or SUP spots if any. Most of the time it's a wave a normal surfer wouldn't want anything to do with.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
This is the question BF :

Anyone else doing it? I'm having a blast

My honest reply was :

It is really interesting

And

All this- look at what I'm doing !! - leads directly to too many doing it .

Eventually it will be unpleasantly crowded from all this .

Just how it works and has worked forever .

James -Bummer Jim-Devlin

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2004
kauai- excramento
www.flickr.com
to start,
Jason is KILLING it!!
looks to to me he's surpassing even (except kai LENNY) the OG's of foiling and i been watching since LARD hamilton started this near a decade ago.

and the FLYERS are and have been using waves usualy no regular surfer could do anything with let alone even look at and that's to include JANITORS.

at Least on MAUI i don't think there be any trouble.

i expect they'll deal with it like they deal with the SWEEPERS PROBLEM getting in the way back in 09

Wednesday, 02 December 2009 16:25
Recently some big hitters in the SUP world have released this on the standupzone.com website (check out the conversation here) :

Because of the rising tensions between surfers and SUP surfers on Maui, we felt that it was our responsibility to create a set of rules that will be used to self-regulate our usage.

1. At Ho’okipa we will be adopting the existing regulations as they apply to windsurfing and will follow the 10 man rule as it is currently posted on the DLNR signs. Even if you do have the opportunity (by the 10 man rule) to go out at the Ho’okipa area it is necessary that every individual take a very critical look at their own skill level and accurately estimate their own personal level of acceptance in the lineup.
2. We will not be using Honolua Bay when there is any surf breaking. The only exception would be when the surf is so large that there are no surfers out.
3. We will not use Paukukalo, Mala Wharf, or Dumps when these areas are being used by any surfers. The only exception at these spots will be when no surfers are in the water (the Zero man rule).
4. At Lower Kanaha, beginners will be asked to stay in the area below the canoe hale, past the end of the inside right or on the Paia side past the channel of the main break (a map will follow).

As we need some time to spread the word, we are setting Jan. 1 as an effective date for the above.

Dave Kalama
Laird Hamilton
Archie Kalepa
Robbie Naish
Buzzy Kerbox
Scott Trudon
Loch Eggers

It is pretty apparent that there have always been issues and conflicts between water users in Maui, mainly due to the number of folk vs the concentration of spots. Once you read through this announcement it is clear that this is a very local issue to Maui, however due to the global environment that SUP is being shaped in it will be viewed by enthusiasts and detractors and used as surfing "case law". I have personally seen the changes in California's attitude to SUP over the course of the last 2 years, and I am wondering if the old adage "When America gets a cold, we all sneeze" will hold true. I hope not. I hope that through communication, good etiquette in the water and abiding by the law of the waves (no dropping in etc.) and by having a friendly attitude that we can continue to grow this amazing sport. Mind you I always was hopelessly naive!