Foil SUP build.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hey frothers,

Owing to me getting my handkite and wanting to get the sup downwind thing happening this season, I decdied to make a sup. I know absolutely nothing about sup’ing but thankfully I’m getting some expert help.

It’s 6’6”~6’4” x 28” x 5” (before concave deck). I’m aiming for 110litres. 1lb EPS, probably full carbon unless I run out....It’s loosely based on a Sunova downwind foil, but I’m building it like my prone boards.

First pics are of the box install. HD foam anchored to deck by pillars, and I’ve chambered it with EPS to save some weight.

I haven’t finished it but I’ll post as I go along. Interested in your feedback on dims or whatever.BFDBF463-A5D7-4B2A-80BC-E46D5785CDB2.jpeg1FA9508E-99FD-4207-AC71-ED8503A0B6DB.jpeg56B42DF0-CF9A-40BB-9FBB-ACCD55AAE9FD.jpeg

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Looks a lot better than my first board building attempt, aka The Puke Barge. 6' x 28 x 5. Heavy chines to try and get it track straight -- which don't really work all that well, or at least I struggled, as my normal 7.6 sup foil I have the two trailing fits to paddle against. So I installed a small fin in center front third, haven't tried it yet though.

It floats me fine, but it's a lot harder to paddle and was impossibly tippy in early wing attempts, realized I had never attempted to stand on it in chop before. I intend to try it again with the knees method. I am also going to install foot hooks.

It's also over-glassed at 22lbs! But I figure it's pretty much bulletproof, especially the carbon/kevlar along the rails ;-)

Attachments

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Looks a lot better than my first board building attempt, aka The Puke Barge. 6' x 28 x 5. Heavy chines to try and get it track straight -- which don't really work all that well, or at least I struggled, as my normal 7.6 sup foil I have the two trailing fits to paddle against. So I installed a small fin in center front third, haven't tried it yet though.

It floats me fine, but it's a lot harder to paddle and was impossibly tippy in early wing attempts, realized I had never attempted to stand on it in chop before. I intend to try it again with the knees method. I am also going to install foot hooks.

It's also over-glassed at 22lbs! But I figure it's pretty much bulletproof, especially the carbon/kevlar along the rails ;-)
Nice, I’ll bet you get a grip on it soon....6’ is a big step down from 7.6, but you get used to everything thing in the end.

The guys I’m watching downwinding, winging etc are telling me the really wide chines are too unstable for them especially when slogging across chop at the start of runs etc. They have to cover big distances though....

I'm pretty happy with my proning but I can see how epic DW is....i know I'm in for an horrific and demoralizing few months.. The wing has already made a prick of me, the paddle will be just as bad I'm sure. Haha, well nothing ventured nothing gained?!

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Johnson Box....LOL. For making the foil box, I have read some recommendations online that you ideally want the HD foam to extend from deck to bottom, so that the sandwich of glass/HD foam/glass effectively makes an I-beam. Your pillars look to do the same thing. For my board above, the foil box was just done halfway through and it hasn't failed yet. If you have access to higher density foam, can also cut a square hole and glue the chunk in. Like the pre-made HD foam mast boxes (Ride Engine, Gong), cost about $150US, just glue them in and go. Or can just cut 2" wide slots for each fin box separately to minimize pour foam needed.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Johnson Box....LOL. For making the foil box, I have read some recommendations online that you ideally want the HD foam to extend from deck to bottom, so that the sandwich of glass/HD foam/glass effectively makes an I-beam. Your pillars look to do the same thing. For my board above, the foil box was just done halfway through and it hasn't failed yet. If you have access to higher density foam, can also cut a square hole and glue the chunk in. Like the pre-made HD foam mast boxes (Ride Engine, Gong), cost about $150US, just glue them in and go. Or can just cut 2" wide slots for each fin box separately to minimize pour foam needed.
Sory Juan, I missed this post originally...
yes the $150 cassette is joke...it has about 30bucks worth of stuff in it.

I’ll try something a little different next time to spread the stress further up and outwards....just to try.

i like cutting separate slots for each box, that’s what I do for my prones...the take an utter hammering and always come up intact.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
She done!

took it for a sail yesterday but the wind didn’t come in. It floats me nicely and moved along pretty fast.

Full 6oz carbon, no bag. 5.5kg. A70B853F-9E31-446B-8EE6-1DE6AC264F53.jpeg2D34C8E2-4276-4902-947A-21D093E53FAA.jpeg430DD8EC-DDDE-430C-B9FE-A178D3E95A11.jpeg3534811E-52C0-44D9-B390-6B03A5E58E3D.jpeg8CB78CD9-D6B3-4B69-B997-5F254E23C213.jpeg6A454EBA-0167-4AD4-B617-2DE51279CBFE.jpeg