Foil Session Logs

Aug 28, 2020
...Though for me: my practice with bosa ball I think will pay off. Only got a few pumping attempts yesterday, but for the first time I felt forward acceleration on pumps, before I lost height. The throwing-water is working....now need to focus on the jump up / unweighting to gain height...the bosa ball with skateboard across is helping me work on the cadence (and to show I needed it....took quite a while to even come close to any sort of rhythym)...
Can you explain, or better yet post a video, of what you're doing with the deck on the Bosa ball?

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Radair: video...may record one tonight...though maybe not, as kook level her exceeds even my huge capacity.

I should clarify, it's a half bosa ball, sits flat on the floor with the ball above. I have a wake skate across it.
  • At first I just bounced up and down, getting arm timing. [I know this helped because at first it was a little shocking just how out of sync and random I was moving...think Elaine at the Seinfeld office party]​
  • Then focus on a jump up and drive down. [which I think is helping, as after about a minute my back calf is feeling strain....that's a muscle not being used] [really emphasizing the down push vs the all-up until now]​
  • And then try to build in rocking motion like on board. [I found it didn't work right until my back foot was nearly on top of the bosa ball....and I have a feeling that is related to the advice of moving your back foot forward in front of the mast]​
  • All in all, we'll see if it'll work -- I have had a couple pump attempts since that felt way better, on one I felt acceleration momentarily for the first time. Close on a number of 2 in 1s. Kinda feels like the key may be in the lock, just on verge of door opening.​
  • And if nothing else: it's a cardio workout. Huffing and puffing after a minute, in a 5 minute set. That will be good in itself.​
And if that doesn't work, with time-on-water....then I'll pull the boat out from under the winter tarp and get at 'r.

Reactions: radair
Aug 28, 2020
Think of kook videos as entertainment for your buddies. LOL at Elaine's dancing. Thanks for the description, sounds like a good time.

Reactions: juandesooka
Mar 20, 2019
Talking about how much difference a board makes, I had a shocker today. 3rd wave in a freak slow motion accident the nose of my buddies sup put a hole in the rail of my board. So I immediately paddle in and switch it out with the old old board I learned on. Wow! I couldn't do anything! Could barely just stay up on foil. One buddy commented that I look completely unstable, and that's how I felt. It was shocking how much of a difference there was!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Should I post the surfline rewind clip of the 2 foils out at lowers right now so that all the troll's who read this forum will lose their minds? hhhhhmmmmmm. Decisions decisions. One of the guys is real good btw.

Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Should I post the surfline rewind clip of the 2 foils out at lowers right now so that all the troll's who read this forum will lose their minds? hhhhhmmmmmm. Decisions decisions. One of the guys is real good btw.
yes, I'd like to watch it

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
That looks super fun. And a good example of where foils and surfers can co-exist -- that wave that day looks virtually unsurfable, except for a 10 second longboard grovel right in the pocket. The foil in that situation takes s**t waves and makes a tasty sandwich, we all get fed.

Trolls losing their minds...reminds me of a day a few weeks ago, with a day and spot much like this, where the longboarder on the 20 second grovel is screeching about a foiler "dropping in on him", 50m ahead and from that point onward about 100m down the line on the unbroken face. And wouldn't let it go, yelling and carrying on, and then post-session too....man o man, I thought sups and foilers were supposed to be the kooks out there? Coulda fooled me.

Reactions: radair

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’m having so much fun winging now, I’m actually going to be depressed when summer ends and I’m faced with groundswell and light offshores.

It was 20kts today and I was running the Kai front. Just screaming upwind. It’s the sickest wing. Almost as fast as the 120 but soft and forgiving and turns beautifully.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I’m having so much fun winging now, I’m actually going to be depressed when summer ends and I’m faced with groundswell and light offshores.

It was 20kts today and I was running the Kai front. Just screaming upwind. It’s the sickest wing. Almost as fast as the 120 but soft and forgiving and turns beautifully.
low aspect heathen.

Mar 20, 2019
just had my first tow experience yesterday... humbling, haha. Tried to use my normal prone board with just a front strap, but just couldn't get up. too much volume for a sinker start, and i think a little too wide for a wakeboard start. luckily my buddy brought his old school tow foil board, the kind they used when they used snowboard boots and bindings. put the foil on it and was up first try (wakeboard start, front and rear straps). Got a few, one good 6fter (double overhead), and blew up on a couple other good ones. I def need to get a smaller board, and in the mean time adjust the straps a bit on the old board we used, but damn was it fun! looking forward to the next session!