Foil Session Logs

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Nice stick! "Kind of painful" doesn't cover it. I had to give up on golf lessons, when I realized I would never be able to put in the time and energy to rebuild my inept bad stroke. I hope it isn't the same for foiling, with my early bad habits.

Taking inspiration from some of the recent facebook threads, I have a few training goals:

1. someone posted a youtube on using an elliptical with both feet on one step, as surprisingly similar to pumping ... tried it, feels pretty good ... and clearly good exercise, quickly out of breath.

2. skateboard deck on a half bosa ball: feels like it may help with working on cadence...trying it has further emphasized that I am flailing like the tasmanian devil....gotta find dat riddum mon

3. general cardio....skipping, jogging. General core: crunches. Flexiblity: stretching, yoga. Coming to terms with it, early 50s, can't keep just trying harder to fake it ... better health and fitness will help with advancement and lessen certainty (not likelihood) of continuous injuries.

Full on nerd alert, next level ... I know, this is supposed to be fun ... but fun will be doing 3 for 1s and 4 for 1s and having the wave garden be mine, all mine.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Nice stick! "Kind of painful" doesn't cover it. I had to give up on golf lessons, when I realized I would never be able to put in the time and energy to rebuild my inept bad stroke. I hope it isn't the same for foiling, with my early bad habits.

Taking inspiration from some of the recent facebook threads, I have a few training goals:

1. someone posted a youtube on using an elliptical with both feet on one step, as surprisingly similar to pumping ... tried it, feels pretty good ... and clearly good exercise, quickly out of breath.

2. skateboard deck on a half bosa ball: feels like it may help with working on cadence...trying it has further emphasized that I am flailing like the tasmanian devil....gotta find dat riddum mon

3. general cardio....skipping, jogging. General core: crunches. Flexiblity: stretching, yoga. Coming to terms with it, early 50s, can't keep just trying harder to fake it ... better health and fitness will help with advancement and lessen certainty (not likelihood) of continuous injuries.

Full on nerd alert, next level ... I know, this is supposed to be fun ... but fun will be doing 3 for 1s and 4 for 1s and having the wave garden be mine, all mine.

So far the best pump training I've come across is just having a wing big enough to get out the back and start pumping!

Reactions: juandesooka

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
How can a board make such a difference?!!!!

You saw me sort of struggling with the albatross 175 the other day Grendel. I rode it with the new board today. Better pump. Better turning. It unlocked that wing! Greg is a good foil board designer. Then he had me measure how far the tracks were from the tail and told me exactly where to place the mast. No adjustment necessary.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Ghostshaper lent me his Axis setup...think I might want a Red mast in my stable.

900 this morning, what a fun wing and really enjoyed the feel of the short fuse. Got the foil dialed in just a couple waves, very impressed!!

Only thing I don't like, Axis likes a lot of screws!

Reactions: sozzle

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Only thing I don't like, Axis likes a lot of screws!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah ... That doesn’t go away. AXIS is the most user friendly and solid setup I’ve ridden though. Plus I love the 760. Good thing my brother has it still so I can ride it whenever I need my fix til the black series is readily available.

Mar 20, 2019
Unless I am changing wings or stab, I only ever mess with 2 screws with my axis gear. keep the wing/fuse put together, then all you gotta do is attach the mast. 2 screws. they are long though so a drill helps speed it up.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I sold all my gear and bought an Armstrong 1050hs last week, two session in and it feels pretty good so far, need a few Tuning adjustments but initially feels great, loose and snappy in and out of turns.
Haven’t cut the tail down yet, can’t bring myself to do it just yet...

Reactions: ghostshaper

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Interesting sozzle. Compare the 1050 to the LoL for me. You never had the 1300 though did you? That's the one I want. I really though I'd find some used deals on one, but then they came out with the stupid kujira and it fits the same fuse so no one's giving up takuma gear.

What'd you sell? All gong gear and the LoL? Aluminum mast? How light is that Armstrong setup am I right!

The used market over here is annoying. I had to sell a full AXIS 900 setup for $900. No one even responds unless you list stuff at fire sale prices.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Sold a bunch of gong and takuma yes, all the aluminium stuff.

really impressed with the Armstrong mast, feels really solid compared to the uni setup I tried, no wobble or anything out of place, the overall quality of the armstrong package is so good, from the covers and the bag to the screw sets, really stoked.

Nah I only had the 1600lol so kind of hard to compare really, one is massive one is tiny!!
the 1050 feels so responsive it’s great, possibly not as fast as the gong veloce (13mm thick) but so many more positives on this over that wing, it feels epic coming out of the turns, super surfy.

my friend has the 1300 lol but he wouldn’t be able to ride my rig so will never get to test it unfortunately, the kujira looks pretty special though albeit really fvcking sharp, i reckon the NL160 looks better though to be fair.

i would say even though the takuma alu mast is stiffer than the carbon it suffered from super bad corrosion compared to the gong stuff, the tapered fuse connection on the front wing leaves a pocket between it and the wing for the saltwater to sit and do its thing, i treated the takuma and the gong exactly the same and the gong is still in perfect condition.
get the carbon if you do get a takuma just from a maintenance perspective.

Last edited:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Sold a bunch of gong and takuma yes, all the aluminium stuff.

really impressed with the Armstrong mast, feels really solid compared to the uni setup I tried, no wobble or anything out of place, the overall quality of the armstrong package is so good, from the covers and the bag to the screw sets, really stoked.

Nah I only had the 1600lol so kind of hard to compare really, one is massive one is tiny!!
the 1050 feels so responsive it’s great, possibly not as fast as the gong veloce (13mm thick) but so many more positives on this over that wing, it feels epic coming out of the turns, super surfy.

my friend has the 1300 lol but he wouldn’t be able to ride my rig so will never get to test it unfortunately, the kujira looks pretty special though albeit really fvcking sharp, i reckon the NL160 looks better though to be fair.
I don't really love the way the NL160 looks actually. Couple guys out here ride them. Don't let steamroller see this post :) He keeps trying to get me to ride one of them though so we might have to switch setups for a session.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I don't really love the way the NL160 looks actually. Couple guys out here ride them. Don't let steamroller see this post :) He keeps trying to get me to ride one of them though so we might have to switch setups for a session.
ah really? my friend has one and it looks pretty damn good, watching mike pedigo's vids he makes it look insane but i understand he uses his own special tails and is also crazily talented to get it to look that way.

what don’t you like about it? seems like it pumps like a beast and still turns good? it is a lot of wing though span wise.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
The guys riding it are on SUP which isn't as pleasing to my eyes. That's probably the issue. I also don't want to fall on that wing tip.

The wing that looks the best on the pump to me is the Lift HA170. Most guys out here are on AXIS though.

Just saw your tip about the aluminum Takuma fuse. That's super annoying. Turned me off to the red AXIS fuse. They seem to have fixed all my grievances with the B series though. I missed carbon the whole time I had AXIS too.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
If you don’t like the NL tips you’ll like the kujira a lot less, the thing is like a fillet knife.

the lift 170 doesn’t looks like it turns that well in a lot of vids compared to the gofoil?

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
speaking of ginsu wingtips, my buddy just got a new axis stab, wow, plenty sharp. But performance wise, it unlocked his pump game, first time ever pumping back to the lineup, easy 2 for 1s, etc. I am happy for him, but inside it is raging jealously and bitter longing. Though for me: my practice with bosa ball I think will pay off. Only got a few pumping attempts yesterday, but for the first time I felt forward acceleration on pumps, before I lost height. The throwing-water is working....now need to focus on the jump up / unweighting to gain height...the bosa ball with skateboard across is helping me work on the cadence (and to show I needed it....took quite a while to even come close to any sort of rhythym). Next will be cardio...I can hardly wait until that is a pressing concern, with pumps less than 15 seconds, generally not an issue. DOH!

Mar 20, 2019
Best advice for improving your pump, don't ride the wave. Get up on foil and immediately pull off wave, you'll be going your fastest so pumping will be easier. Once you get the rhythm down then you'll be able to ride the wave farther and pump back farther. (Also don't pump till you're well past the back of the wave, focus on staying high)