Foil Session Logs

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I just ordered a 2 pack, going to give it a try -- my motivation being a full speed sup foil wipeout yesterday, max head slap with helmet, instant headache (so maybe light concussion). Hopefully the lower profile will help, plus I can wear it with surf foil too.

Be careful ordering, the review comments talk about people buying the single pack for same price, and unresolved complaint with the company.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
On the pump back out to sea you kept gliding over those little waves and were real low. I kept saying to myself. He's not gonna make it. He's not gonna make it!. HE MADE IT!!!!

Reactions: grendel95

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I just finished a pretty epic run, in the water foiling 10 of 11 days...whether surf, sup, or wing. That's pretty impressive for local conditions and also for someone (supposedly) working full time. But surf foiling is buying a lot of sessions on days that would otherwise be a write off due to choppy onshore wing. And sup foil also kicks in when too small to ride anything else. Now a few days off to rest and heal my middle aged pains.

Capped off with a super rare session at a break 200m from my house ...only breaks a few times a year when swell is huge, and only once a decade at size. I surf foiled it for hours when small and crappy. Yay! But blew my wad before it got big "WOW" level. Doh, foil kook! It was challenging with kelp and wood streaming through the lineup due to king tides.

I finally got a surfing app working and am having fun nerding out on sessions stats. 18km covered in a 4.5 hour session, with 28 waves. Top speed 42 kmh. Longest ride 520m. etc. I am sure the novelty will wear off, but for now it's a hoot. I am looking forward to proper speed tests for the new-to-me GL wings on the way (thanks jondrums

P1030992.jpegScreenshot_20201118-115759_Waves Tracker.jpgP1040073.jpegkmh. )

Feb 10, 2019
that was all on an M200? Nice! The GL is going to blow your mind in comparison once you get over the first few rides to make the adjustments.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Looking at one of those for my kid, his gath won’t fit now he’s wearing a hood and like Juan says the oversize option can offer some neck injury problems.would probably put the soft helmet over the hood and still have a lowish profile.
A mate here has one. Looks super comfortable but obviously it would be nice if it prevented scalpings too.

Reactions: sozzle

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
A mate here has one. Looks super comfortable but obviously it would be nice if it prevented scalpings too.
yeh its not as good as hard shell eh, tricky situation for the grom now its getting colder, always freaks me out when he fvcks off on a minute+ ride even with a lid on.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Jon: that's all on iwa. Looking forward to GL mind blow later this week :)

Clams: I have now used the bump-cap insert a half dozen times, works well -- we wear a hood 90% of the time already, sadly. I think it gives a little head protection -- I got bumped by a piece of wood during king tide session, bounced right off. Lower profile will save neck strain on big wipeouts. Only negatives I have noticed: 1) it has open area in back for open part of ballcap...which is unfortunate, as that is where you will likely be smacked by a runaway foil or leash snapback. 2) it gives a slight air layer under neoprene, on duck dives can give a colder flush than without. 3) can't take hood off if it is too warm. 4) nerd factor is big, like massive

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
First session on the formerly-jondrums GLs. First SUP with the 240 with flat kite tail (zeeko spitfire xxlw). In bigger waves (maybe should high) and messy conditions solo. No adjustment period for getting up on foil, felt dialed in immediately. Got a few long waves, very easy pumping on wave -- didn't try any flat water pump backs.

Second session on the GL180, with kai tail. Waves smaller but glassy. Got some even longer waves, pumping feels great, though again not much attempt yet for flat water pumping. Still a bit sketched on turns, quite different than iwa, will take getting used to, lots of bails. And not surprisingly, I already want a GL140. :)

Also some aggro on the water today, with shouting between foilers, sup, longboarders, from real and perceived drop in's. The perceived drop in, the foiler took off on a section 50m in front of the longboarder, then accelerated 100m ahead of him....the longboarder yelling the whole time about respecting him, on the wave first, bla bla....was pretty funny, as he was just standing there in the curl on a knee to thigh wave, while the foiler was ripping. It's basically waikiki, peaks everywhere, a lot of "sharing", more or less kook waves ... amusing to see him playing the heavy local card, when the foiler has been surfing here for somewhere around 25 years longer than him. LOL. But anyways, it's ultimately a covid thing, we have very limited local breaks and they are choked to the breaking point. Can still find a corner here and there....but it'll help when the snow falls, some of the lineup will go to the mountain instead. Also a pretty epic week or more of swell ahead for PNW.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
My mate sold me his GL120 cheap. Up until now I've been pretty much only using the refuckulated 210. I though the 120 wouldn't be very useful but the price was right.

Took it out couple of nights ago but it was only 10-12kts and I couldn't fly it. I was thinking I'd have to be hell lit to get it going.

Well last night it was 12-15 and I ran it. Toeside tack for launch, so I took a couple of gusts to get up.

It is unbelievable. The speed is blinding after the 210. It turns really nicely, but there wasn't very much lump so I was mostly mowing the lawn. I did swing around into a bowl on my frontside and depower....I was going so fast I ended up eating the wing. You know it's good when you're in survival squat and nervously giggling/hooting and there's noone to hear within a few kms!

On a small wing side note, I strapped on the old Kai red wing on a blowy day last week. That was a real good time. Funny, because I never really found a place for it proning... To hard to pump compared to Iwa.

It's not as dragless as the 120 but it felt like it has a very high top speed.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Got to meet and surf with the illustrious Hdip yesterday!

Made a great impression on my part: Forgot my wetsuit, nearly forgot to tighten down my mast and never let him try the Hyper 210.

Funky but fun little waves and the water wasn't too cold!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
HAH. Seeing you connect 4 for 1's while I was working to get 2 for 1's gave me an idea of the difference. Switching to a new foil system is sort of like breaking down a golf swing and having to rebuild it. Probably good for you every so often, but kind of painful to feel like you lost a bunch of skill for a few sessions.

Here's a few bad pictures, but this is a tease of the real reason I drove all the way down there.

52foilco, Brawner boards.

Attachments