Foil Session Logs

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Hdip said:
There was a new guy out today. He's been foiling a month and already went from a full Naish setup to a 3'10" Amundson and Armstrong 1200. I think he jumped the shark a bit on the tiny board. Looked pretty hard to catch waves. Checking out that Armstrong with the short fuse was sweet though. You guys on full carbon setups are cheating. I couldn't believe how light it was.

I was to timid to ask him if I could try out his $3000 toy. Hopefully I see him again and can get a chance to try it out.

Lugging a cheap aluminium setup back and forth over french dunes the last few days I’m seeing how a nice ultralight setup could be good.

Shared the peak with Tom Carroll yesterday and better than that, the mighty ‘colas’ this morning! Foil star struck!!

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Hdip said:
How was TC doing? Does he SUP foil when he's not being towed in?
He was doing good on a 4’4freedom prone and cloud9 foil, he was using a new longer carbon mast he said felt a bit long for the bank we were on, good for a quick chat too he was.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
69215353_10162044444110005_6569693280039075840_o.jpg

Got an invite from Alex A to come down to Kanaha and give the DuoTone wing a shot earlier in the week. He let me try the 4m wing he got on the 5m.
I was on a loaner 6'0 SUP foil board lower left of photo, put on my Maliko200 front and Iwa tail. I've been frothing and trying the hand kite for weeks and it was good to sample what I've been seeing.

Now full disclosure, I'm nto a wind sport person, never tried anything other than sailing little katamaran in Mexico a couple times. So I have very minor understanding of which way to point the sail.

First get out in the water, on my knees, kite in the air it starts pulling me out. Wind gets stronger, I get going fast enough to put one foot down, then the next. Its abit foreign as to how to hold the kite but it naturally wants to grab the wind with arms extended.

Alex told me to "pump" the sail like you're rowing with both hands, so once I felt comforable I started and also pumping the board. Another gust of wind and I was up and foiling...

Now I've gone fast on waves before, but this was nuts. Just flying. Once you're up the resistance on your body lets go. Don't have to muscle it, its just finess at that point and you can relax.

SO I'm hooting and hollerin at myself and start to realize I'm headed out to sea fast and need to turn this thing around. So I attempt a jibe, get mostly pointed back towards land and I lose it. Down in the water, waaay outside, and gotta get back somehow. I'm goofy foot so headed out was a natural stance for me, heaeded in everything was backwards. So I opted to ride in on my butt as it was too difficult to get in otherwise.

Made it back towoards land, turned around and gave it another run out. STOCKED!

I ordered the F-One 4.2 and should be here in a couple weeks. I'm fortunate to know enough people here that have tried all of the top brands and a couple foilers I respect their optinions said the F-One is best for surfing...as it's light, it "fluff's" well etc. Didn't know much about wing shape but am coming to understand the benefits of the F-One more every time I research.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Luff's? I kited for a season. Got good enough to do floaters strapless. It was a lot of setup and take down I didn't have time for when I had a new baby at home so I gave it up after my main kites broke.

What are the odds you could get this going on a standard setup? IE: prone board and 1200ish CM wing? Do I need a SUP foil to try it out? Are the kite guys liking this more than a kite?

Care to state any of the reasons your research has you leaning towards the F-one?

Reactions: Kaser1

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Luff's? I kited for a season. Got good enough to do floaters strapless. It was a lot of setup and take down I didn't have time for when I had a new baby at home so I gave it up after my main kites broke.

What are the odds you could get this going on a standard setup? IE: prone board and 1200ish CM wing? Do I need a SUP foil to try it out? Are the kite guys liking this more than a kite?

Care to state any of the reasons your research has you leaning towards the F-one?

looks like its do-able, but that is a lot of wind.
http://instagr.am/p/B1zkOWJnUnl/

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine

Odds are good on a standard setup. The good guys are doing it, i'm sure with enough wind it's doable. I may get a higher volume and longer proner just in case. Which is good cause you can catch one used on guys moving down in length for surf foiling for cheap.

I don't know kiters so can't answer your question about if they're liking it.

Why the F-One? It's much lighter which will be good for surfing IMO.

Reactions: grendel95

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Session #2 went down yesterday with the 4m DuoTone wing. Had a couple breakthroughs, was able to head out and back to the same spot instead of getting blown down wind and not making it back. Was able to pull off a tack sucessfully. And have been going toe side on the way in, but was able to manage going switch for a minute which releived the legs alittle.
Thats all..:shaka:

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Odds are good on a standard setup. The good guys are doing it, i'm sure with enough wind it's doable. I may get a higher volume and longer proner just in case. Which is good cause you can catch one used on guys moving down in length for surf foiling for cheap.

I don't know kiters so can't answer your question about if they're liking it.

Why the F-One? It's much lighter which will be good for surfing IMO.

Luffs well, I think is a sailing term - meaning it goes upwind well. I've kited for 12 years & never heard that term used in relation to kiting.

BTW, I have a ski lined up & going for my first tow session today - super stoked

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Luffs well, I think is a sailing term - meaning it goes upwind well. I've kited for 12 years & never heard that term used in relation to kiting.

BTW, I have a ski lined up & going for my first tow session today - super stoked
How did the tow session go mick?

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
20190906_151605.jpg
Got to try the 1600 Armstrong with the new 4'5" Armstrong prone board at Caloundra today. So different to my Axis 900 setup, must say I struggled with its abundant buoyancy. The 4'5 is 33L but with the extra bouancy from Armstrong 1600 it felt like a much bigger board than my Amos shapes 4'6 37L & Axis 900 combo. So if I was to change to Armstrong, think I will have to change to a lower volume board also.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Strong offshore winds today (say about 20 knots), what a difference that makes to pumping back out! - even made it over a couple of broken waves pumping back out lol.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I kicked out of a wave yesterday through the oncoming whitewater. First time I've done an air on a foil. :) Flyaway out the back, landed on the deck and safely rolled off to the side.

What fuselage do you have on that Axis 900? The one time I've seen an armstrong in person it was the 1200 and I was shocked at how small the wing looked, plus how short the fuselage was.

How's the weight difference between your Axis 900 and that armstrong 1600? The 1200 seemed super light.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I kicked out of a wave yesterday through the oncoming whitewater. First time I've done an air on a foil. :) Flyaway out the back, landed on the deck and safely rolled off to the side.

What fuselage do you have on that Axis 900? The one time I've seen an armstrong in person it was the 1200 and I was shocked at how small the wing looked, plus how short the fuselage was.

How's the weight difference between your Axis 900 and that armstrong 1600? The 1200 seemed super light.
I have the ultrashort fuse & 440 stab (I think the Armstrong fuse is a bit shorter again & had a 300 stab - def more of a surfy feel/turn).
I was surprised that under the arm, the Armstrong (foil & board) was definitely lighter but not by a huge amount. In the water I preferred the more neutral buoyancy of my setup (I had to really force the Army board underwater to get back on) but I'm sure after riding Armstrong for a while you would get used to it. My Axis is a little noisy at high speed - Armstrong is whisper quiet. At my weight 72kg, I felt a little over winged on the 1600, would love to try the 1200 (conditions were not ideal, a bit too much power for me on the 1600).

Hope to get another crack at the Army soon.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
how was the armstrong board Mick?

i liked the look of the rail design for added duckdive grip compared to a bigger bulky rail and the movable traction plate thing seems like a nice touch for tuning.

the one thing with my big bulky railed board that i hate is its a pig to hold onto duckdiving bigger waves.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
how was the armstrong board Mick?

i liked the look of the rail design for added duckdive grip compared to a bigger bulky rail and the movable traction plate thing seems like a nice touch for tuning.

the one thing with my big bulky railed board that i hate is its a pig to hold onto duckdiving bigger waves.
It felt just like a normal shortboard when grabbing the rail to duckdive.
Build quality is very-very good.20190906_155336.jpg