Foil Session Logs

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Had my first ‘2 for 1’ or double dip or whatever you want to call it, 4 hour session and I wasn’t going in till I had it, so stocked.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I've found there are certain lines at certain spots that are easier to get it than others. If you find where the currents are sucking out you can get into those and ride right out to the next wave. It's honestly my favorite part of foiling I think. Really reminds me of skimboarding.

Edit: What wing/mast size?

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
takuma-LOL 1600 wing with 70cm mast, i'm a super lightyweight at 148lbs so plenty lifty,

got my foot position and technique clicking towards the end of the session and was really moving it on the pump outs, it's taken 4 months to get to this point, i would have stayed in for more but the tide got too low.

it's in a rivermouth break so the tide is hairing out on dropping tides, can't wait for another session there.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Oh that foil looks crazy. You're going to get tons of waves on that thing at your size. You and @foiltheworld are about the same size. He has that wing now too. Also he rode the armstrong 1600 for a long time. Get your pump dialed on that and then you can move down to a more surfy wing next summer.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
yeh crazy sharp at the back that's for sure!!!! haha,

they have a 1300 coming out in august i think so will grab that then, missing the tighter turns of a 1250 at the moment but it's really nice to ride and so so so fast at the top end it's more than entertaining for the moment,

i'm more than happy to work my pump game out at the sacrifice of some manoeuvrability at this stage.

it'll be interesting to see what foiltheworld says about it.

i did almost have 2 for 1's on the 1250 gong last month but nothing like this, that was more lucky runs than anything planned.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Essentially flat. Foiled. Caught my ten or so waves in 50 minutes and got out of there before the tide killed it completely.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Foiled w Grendel the last two days. Messed w the rear wing angle and realized after foiling, that I moved it the opposite direction I should have. The bigger day, riding my naish large, I angled my rear wing down, but that actually gave me more overall lift. Yesterday was smaller, but I thought the swell was filling in, so I rode the medium front wing and angled the rear up, which gave me less lift. Will try the medium front wing and angle the rear down next. Looking for the happy middle.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah it’s the trailing edge of the wing that matters right? Trailing edge down = less lift. Trailing edge up = more lift. I’ve never moved mine from neutral. I read someone’s comment saying he makes his super lifty and gets more glide out of his pumps. I’m considering trying it.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hey Ghostie,

Moving the foil forward in the tracks will also achieve extra nose-up pitch, I do that in small increments if it is really weak and only good for pumping. I foil two waves about a mile apart...one has a nice lined up wall, gets the foil up to scary speeds, the other is a crap capper into deep water with a short wall. I almost can’t ride the thing set up for one wave at the other. Only 1/4” or so different.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Thanks for the tips. I currently have it pushed back as far as I can bc I'm still trying to get over the turn-off-the-back-foot-surfing mindset. I like the sound of the Maui guys setting up their foils for something that feels more like surfing.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
High tide made me not want to go check my normal foil wave. So I ventured back to where I learned how to foil. Haven't been there in over a year. It was a bunch of fun. Much shorter, but way more intense rides.

I checked my rear stab angle of attack after Ghost's previous post. Turns out the tail had slipped so there was less and less lift over time. No wonder it felt weird to me about 5 sessions ago. The last two sessions I've been moving it up from neutral to get more lift. Seems to work. Not moving the mast in the tracks at all. Just trying to change one thing at a time.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I've been using this route as a training for prone downwinding recently. Chip in outside Pavils in the windline and can run all the way down to Lanes beach, get out and walk back. Did it 2xs yesterday on my 4'10" KT prone, GoFoil GL180 front and Iwa tail.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
do the cows bother you when you walk through the pasture?...

also have you tried the GL210?....its super lifty amd will fly forever but has way too much lift for surfing anything over 1 footers...im curious to know if youre winded after 4 for 1s on th GL180

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Steamroller said:
do the cows bother you when you walk through the pasture?...

also have you tried the GL210?....its super lifty amd will fly forever but has way too much lift for surfing anything over 1 footers...im curious to know if youre winded after 4 for 1s on th GL180
Yea the cows bug bigtime. Asking me to stop for selfies, asking what it is I'm riding, etc... I may just paddle back next time.

Yes, tried the 210 and would prefer that, but I only have the 180 proto. I rode the 210 in chest hi and it was buttah. I'd recommend it.

Winded on 4 for 1's anytime regardless on which wing and my weight.

The hand kite/kite wing explosion is about to happen. Get on board cause it's gonna open up the prone world to unlimited access to all kine spots.

Mar 20, 2019
Hey Kaser, I'm gonna be on Maui next weekend, any chance you got extra gear and want to take me on a mini downwinder or let me try a handkite out? I won't be bringing my gear with me, so understand if you dont have the gear. been wanting to try a downwinder all summer, but feel like we haven't had the right winds/direction over here on Oahu... also interested in checking out a handkite, but haven't met anyone here with one. If you got extra gear or know someone who would, let me know.

sounds like monday would be the only day that works for me.

cheers

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
bigmtnbill said:
Hey Kaser, I'm gonna be on Maui next weekend, any chance you got extra gear and want to take me on a mini downwinder or let me try a handkite out? I won't be bringing my gear with me, so understand if you dont have the gear. been wanting to try a downwinder all summer, but feel like we haven't had the right winds/direction over here on Oahu... also interested in checking out a handkite, but haven't met anyone here with one. If you got extra gear or know someone who would, let me know.

sounds like monday would be the only day that works for me.

cheers
What Monday, the 26th?

I have 2 sets of gear right now for about a week unless my combo pack sells over the weekend. I can take you if I still have.

I've got 2 prone and one SUP foil if you wanna try.

Mar 20, 2019
Kaser1 said:
What Monday, the 26th?

I have 2 sets of gear right now for about a week unless my combo pack sells over the weekend. I can take you if I still have.

I've got 2 prone and one SUP foil if you wanna try.
Yeah, Monday the 26th... Cool Thanks! I'll send you an email through your craigslist ad

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Kaser1 said:
The hand kite/kite wing explosion is about to happen. Get on board cause it's gonna open up the prone world to unlimited access to all kine spots.
Can't stand hearing these Maui reports due to excessive jealousy ... pretty much an everyday ocean playtime paradise. Always some fun to chase.

Have you done the wing-thing with a prone surf foil yet? Looks like the water start is pretty challenging, but more doable with straps.

I'm on a 5m and sup foil, found its a lot harder than it looks ... 6 sessions in and I'm starting to get up on foil regularly and comfortably, but only if enough wind (min 15kt, 20 better). I hope that'll come down with experience. Overall jury is still out on whether it'll be a viable alternative, for places that aren't as windy day to day as Maui. EG if windy surf days only happen a couple times a month, I am probably going to keep kitesurfing. But I have dreams of certain spots, wind-assisted tow in's to long long surf foil rides, then zip back upwind with the wing. Hopes and dreams!

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
juandesooka said:
Kaser1 said:

Have you done the wing-thing with a prone surf foil yet? Looks like the water start is pretty challenging, but more doable with straps.

Not yet, had a chance to go yesterday with Alex A from Go Foil and I surfed too long in the a.m. and had work to do in the afternoon. Hoping to go today.

I've seen first hand the water starts on a small prone board. I understand the technique and feel like it's doable. My 4'10" is pretty floaty at 38L.

Was hoping my local surfshop ordered the kite I wanted but they only ordered the Takuma and Ozone so looks like I'm going to have to order the F One from CA.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
There was a new guy out today. He's been foiling a month and already went from a full Naish setup to a 3'10" Amundson and Armstrong 1200. I think he jumped the shark a bit on the tiny board. Looked pretty hard to catch waves. Checking out that Armstrong with the short fuse was sweet though. You guys on full carbon setups are cheating. I couldn't believe how light it was.

I was to timid to ask him if I could try out his $3000 toy. Hopefully I see him again and can get a chance to try it out.