Foil Session Logs

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
First session in a while, bit of a North Pacific doldrum lately. I've just ordered a Gofoil Maliko 200, so I thought it might be my last session ever supfoiling my Slingshot 84 before I sell it....oops, jinxed it....worst impact wipeout yet, full speed into a boulder, smashed the wing pretty good. I believe that's called irony.

Well, it'll push me toward focusing on surf foiling, like I keep saying I want to. Had two more paddle sessions, one on buddy's DIY wings, another on an easy foiler 1600. It's coming together, felt pretty good. More surf coming next couple days, yeewww!

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Gotta love it when the Pacific wave model shows all those pretty bright colours. Two long sessions again today, first sup foil then surf foil. I fell in love with my Slingshot H2 wing again, forgot how much I enjoy it in larger waves. Reminds me of having a dialed-in semi-gun in big surf and when dropping in it feels so slotted, fast and solid like you're on a rail. Mmm.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Another rad day ... so rare to have a significant swell event fall on a weekend, where I also have the Friday off. I feasted until I couldn't feast anymore....roughly 16-18 hours in the water over 3 days, sup foil, surf foil, surfboard, even a brief kite for variety. (too chicken to get the wingding out in significant surf as yet). Today I cemented my stoke for the surf foil, feeling confident with H2 wings. Waves outside were maybe 8' faces, but I was catching the white water inside then riding the reform. There were some maybe shoulder high sections that would wrap/bowl, I could bank off the top, felt like snowboard carve or a skateboard bowl. So fun! Now...sore 51yr old body. Ibuprofen to avoid groaning in the night.

Mar 20, 2019
Yup, 5 sessions over 3 days here on Oahu. One of the best foiling waves on the island decided to turn on and it was a packed house. But when rides can be over 300yards long, and you can catch the wave from almost anywhere in the bay, it doesn't matter how crowded it gets. Counted over 45 guys in the water when I first pulled up, and I'd guess 90% of them were on foils. Guys were ripping. Super fun weekend!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Got back on the foil again after mostly surfing regular boards since the waves have been decent to good my last few surfs. Mast flex sucks. It was quite noticeable since I haven't been on the foil lately and had to get my balance back. Pretty fun though. Foils are great tools to have in the car for when there are big flat spots in the waves.

Reactions: grendel95

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Three days of fun to really-fun foiling this weekend. I am transitioning into surf foiling from sup foiling, but have come to realize that sup foiling will continue to have its day too. One session in particular, the wave was pitching too fast to make the drop on the surf foil, but there wasn't enough of a shoulder to paddle into. With the SUP foil, I could get in just that little bit earlier to make it. In another session, when it was closing out outside, on the surf foil I could catch the white water and ride the reform all the way in. It would be very difficult to catch the white water on a sup foil, especially a small wobbly one. So ... my goal remains to focus on surf foiling, but I am not getting rid of my sup.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Weighed the foil options today as I had to drive up the coast after dropping the little one at Grandma's house. One idea that struck me was, "what's the worst spot I could go to?" that idea turned out to be the first spot I could check.

Parked and walked under the bridge to find a sloppy rivermouth bar, barely breaking outside and rolling into shore before dribbling onto the beach.

So much fricken fun.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I got my favourite winter foil spot breaking for like 5 days at the wrong time of year.

Christmas day, I braced myself for lots of new toys clogging the lineup....I was the only dude out, despite there being 300 people enjoying the beach...so funny to hear them freaking out when I buzzed the shorey on way back out.

Same for the last few days, either prone alone twice a day or prone then wing...

Today though, a couple of new foils in the lineups...I’m selfish, I don’t want this desert island thing Ive had for the last 18months to end.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
When you’re catching every one footer that comes through there are a lot Of waves to go around.
But. When someone is learning you have to give them so much space its annoying. I’d say three other foils is about my limit before it feels crowded.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Such a wicked xmas break, swell the whole time, foiled so much that I am tired and sore and can use a break. Stoked to realize how good surf foil is at filling in the gaps, big days riding the inside re-forms, or ugly choppy unsurfable days ... catch the white water, once you're up, doesn't matter how choppy it is. Foiling is surfer prozac, there really aren't many bad days.

Also lots of projects during the break, finished my kite foil (4' dwarfcraft imitation), a surf foil 4'10" homage to Armstrong, and shaped something toward a GoFoil GL210 (not yet glassed). After my prior Franken-boards, decided to pay a little more attention to aesthetics this time ... my wife went to town on the surfboard art. Stoked, though now it's maybe too nice to use, plus the curse of the flashy board / poor rider. ;-) Unfortunately, the first test of it wasn't a full-on success....I did catch a few waves, once up it's great but it paddles slow, I may have erred on the volume/flotation. It will require a day with better surf conditions to know for sure.

Back to work / weekend warrior once again.

80585366_10156650025476611_8221382743955603456_o.jpg81037481_10156650025261611_2937013639049117696_o.jpgP1360722.jpg

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Such a wicked xmas break, swell the whole time, foiled so much that I am tired and sore and can use a break.
Same experience here, best run of Xmas waves for years, foiling and surfing every day, I’m feeling like I’ve levelled up with my turns finally after going straight for so long,

definitely think getting back on a surfbort after such a long break off one has helped put some fresh perspective on my foil lines being more aggressive.

Still, regardless of doing better turns, going straight on the apex of the swell for hundreds of metres doesn’t get old for me, at all.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I saw a delta surf foil in the parking lot today. It is so thin! Didn't get to see the guy surf as his session was over as I pulled up. Compared to my lift 200 it's pretty similar. The Delta has a shorter fuselage though.

Session was fun. The foil is the best tool to have in the quiver. Foiled yesterday too. Had one good kick out to pump at a wave that already broke. I for some reason decided to do a white water bash. Fully committed to a backside top turn on a 3 foot white water. I fell backwards over the high side and missed the wing by an inch. It grazed my ribs as it went by me.

Latest JoB Vlog he goes and foils with uncle Brian at that spot Jack from Town was talking about on the progression project.

Mar 20, 2019
Yup Kahana, had like 2 weeks where it was good. Most of the time it's flat because the reefs on the outside block the swell from getting into the bay. But when the swell gets in you can get 500-600 yard long rides and just cruise from one side to the other. Soft mushy waves with lots of sections. Its probably one of the best waves for foiling, which is why when it gets good it's now common to see 40-50+ foilers out.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
January has been all time this year. The month started off with rain and wind, good winging. Now we are having long stretches of glassy conditions and good surf.

Ka'a session from yesterday...

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
The foil honeymoon continues ... just can't get enough. After maybe 8-10 hours water time this weekend, my 51 year old body needs a couple days off. A pretty epic weekend.

Longest SUP foil ride yet: my GPS app won't measure distance, but I plotted it on-screen at 680m. Was so far that I decided to walk back...probably a mistake, got pounded in the big shore break, later discovered a half inch rock embedded in my rail, just glad I didn't break the foil.

Connected wave: my local spot has 3 distinct peaks, on a big day sup day I have connected 2 of them and made it to the edge of the section before the 3rd one. I have been dreaming of making that wave for 20 years. Now, with Maliko200, I finally did it. On only a chest high wave too, which meant it was only knee high through the final section, so I bogged down in seaweed and fell off. On the next wave in the set I connected the rest of the ride ... which would be over 1km ride in total, pretty much the longest potential wave around here I reckon. I can hardly wait for a head high day. Place only breaks a few times a year, so it's a take the day off work event when it happens.

Surf foil: have been putting in a lot of time, finally feeling it come together, sometimes getting that dialed-in loose flow-y feeling, making some turns, focusing on a little more top to bottom and a little less swoopy in turns. My favorite is the kai wing, but that needs some juice beyond the take-off. Lately the iwa with kai stab has been providing some magic. Anyways, yesterday was utter crap that I would never paddle out in normally, but once again, the foil makes sweet lemonade from the lemons. Had 2 hours of fun trading waves with another foil buddy at the same progression level. Big smiles, lotsa stoke.

Next goals: experiment with foot hooks on sup foil. Work on pumping, yet to see anyone locally make a 2 for 1, the race is on!

Reactions: grendel95

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I'm about a month in. basically surfing or foiling every day depending on size of surf. Today I got my longest ride and actually got to my feet and flew on most of my attempts compared to falling on most attempts before. I'm seeing progress and feeling the stoke. more tomorrow. winter seems to have taken a break in my hood. happy to have a foil as a option.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I graduated to from 5'0" to a 4'6". first session was horrible. I moved mast back a bit and boom I was flying. Still some need to get used to it a bit more but it feels better. especially when pumping.
awesome mate, that’s a good length. Lotsa paddle, lotsa pump.