Foil Session Logs

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
You will get used to it. I think for bigger days, the wing is a little too power so usually on these days I take off on small one, exit, pump back out and carve onto a bigger one and repeat. Yes on steeper waves you don't get to surf much the wave.
But on small days you will love it, you can also try pumping back out the outside and do downwinder.
la foil club guys sent me a 3D printed shim. Just installed that. We’ll see how that goes.
I realized I have to be a bit further out on the flats than I’m used to to make sure the wing tip is clear of the curve of the wave. First half of the session I was sitting to high on the face and wide wing was getting stuck in the curve of the wave.

Mar 20, 2019
Shim thicker in front or back? I tried a shim once, hated it. But now I think I should have slid the foil forward after putting the shim on. Might try again. Greg, do you shim your 900?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Shim thicker in front. Which angles the tail wing flatter. So in theory that'll make it faster with less lift?

Reactions: Topmick
Mar 22, 2020
Shim thicker in front or back? I tried a shim once, hated it. But now I think I should have slid the foil forward after putting the shim on. Might try again. Greg, do you shim your 900?
I used a shim but to be honest I didn't really noticed the difference, works good both ways.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
What time does one have to get in line at San o to get in easily tomorrow. There’s A chance I’ll be going down. Trying to meetup with someone to try a new 760 wing.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
What time does one have to get in line at San o to get in easily tomorrow. There’s A chance I’ll be going down. Trying to meetup with someone to try a new 760 wing.

Sweet spot is usually 6am to 6:45, but looking at the cam now at 7:30 it's clear. I think you'd be good if you arrive before 9am since the waves are small.

Reactions: Hdip

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Sweet spot is usually 6am to 6:45, but looking at the cam now at 7:30 it's clear. I think you'd be good if you arrive before 9am since the waves are small.
Waves are very small. Never seen surfline call it at
0.5-1ft
Shin to knee high occ. 2 ft

Yesterday was really small too but nice to soak in the water and sun.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'll be getting the new 760 wing Wed... Let me know what you think.
Evans not going to Be there til the afternoon and I could only go in the morning. Wednesday is out for me. Maybe I can meet up Friday. He has an 860 with him too.

You’ll probably ride it before me. I’m interested to hear the review. Let me know if it’s the axis version of the lift 200. I need that wing back from my brother.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Grendel and I went today at peak low (only a 2' low). He's gliding on his Sig 210 wing. Waves were tiny, weak, and hard to catch.

We need some swell, at the very least.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
No Axis sprinter van down there while you guys were there? He's supposed to be there this afternoon and tomorrow.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Grendel and I went today at peak low (only a 2' low). He's gliding on his Sig 210 wing. Waves were tiny, weak, and hard to catch.

We need some swell, at the very least.
Ghostshaper is getting close to flight, but if he could see video of his falls, yikes. I thought i was gonna have to go in for a rescue a couple times.

Reactions: sozzle
Mar 20, 2019
Axis 760 is fun. Definitely doesn't pump like I'm used to with the 900, haha, but you can still pump out to connect waves if they are close. It's very responsive and easy to turn. The waves were pretty weak, so I only caught 4 or 5 waves, then went in and switched to the 900. I could see myself really liking the wing when we get some winter swells. Gonna play around with a few different stabs.

Had the new 390 stab, and felt like my pumping on the 900 improved some more, though turns weren't as smooth, but think I just need to get used to it. My neighbor got the flat 460 stab, so hopefully I can try that next week and compare. But the 390 made the foil feel smoother than with the 370.

Reactions: grendel95 and Hdip
Mar 22, 2020
Axis 760 is fun. Definitely doesn't pump like I'm used to with the 900, haha, but you can still pump out to connect waves if they are close. It's very responsive and easy to turn. The waves were pretty weak, so I only caught 4 or 5 waves, then went in and switched to the 900. I could see myself really liking the wing when we get some winter swells. Gonna play around with a few different stabs.

Had the new 390 stab, and felt like my pumping on the 900 improved some more, though turns weren't as smooth, but think I just need to get used to it. My neighbor got the flat 460 stab, so hopefully I can try that next week and compare. But the 390 made the foil feel smoother than with the 370.
I don't like much the 390 down curve but think it does help for pumping, I think a good stab would be a smaller version of the 460 flat stab.

Reactions: grendel95
Mar 20, 2019
I don't like much the 390 down curve but think it does help for pumping, I think a good stab would be a smaller version of the 460 flat stab.
Yeah I might try cutting the tips off my 400... But I really liked the 390 today with the 900. I wish they were cheaper, so I could buy them all and hack them all up without regret.

• Haha
Reactions: grendel95