Foil Session Logs

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Easily avoidable. I don’t blame the foiler though. Long boarder just doesn’t know what foils are capable of. Never knew what hit em. Board might’ve been damaged but no personal injury is guess.
The foiler's error was not alerting the longboarder he was there. So fast and silent, coming from an unexpected angle, looks like he didn't see or expect the foiler, otherwise he wouldnt have faded into him. Foiler should have given a hoot then did a cut back, give some space to see if the surfer makes it, or once things stabilize could maybe pass him and carry on. The foiler did the equivalent of racing up to a truck on a motorcycle then tail gating in the blind spot and have the truck change lanes into him -- whose fault?

Raises a good point about foiler etiquette though. In most situations, we can get so many and so much better waves...so try to leave some for the kooks. I will sometimes hang back and encourage them to drop in on me. Then when they fall off or bog down, I can jump back into the pocket and take over. Enough waves for everyone eh ;-)

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
EDIT:

Alright I went through the comments. One comment by a woman said "it happened here". I looked at her profile and it appears she speaks portugese. Then I found the below comment. Seems like enough proof for me.

wilson_bianchi

This happened in Ubatuba City/Brazil. They prohibited Foil Surf after this

Another commenter said the foil was being towed in by a boat.

Last edited:

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
In the vid saw a few folks trunking it, thought it may be somewhere up in LA. No chatter down here in south oc.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
EDIT:

Alright I went through the comments. One comment by a woman said "it happened here". I looked at her profile and it appears she speaks portugese. Then I found the below comment. Seems like enough proof for me.

wilson_bianchi

This happened in Ubatuba City/Brazil. They prohibited Foil Surf after this

Another commenter said the foil was being towed in by a boat.
thats crazy! being towed and then trying to weave thru a lineup.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I kinda have my doubts about that ubatuba comment, without some confirmation. But also from comments..."above water spaz chariots"...that's a group name I can get behind

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
We foilers travel waaay faster than other surfers, therefore we need to be extra careful around normal surfers.
Best to keep some room - for if things go wrong because when it does go wrong it happens real quick!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Paddled out to the inside spot and it was perfect for 2-1's. I got 4 waves (8 waves?) and then a horde of wavestorm kids came down the beach. So I had to move to the outside even though it wasn't really big enough for out there. Got some waves though. I kicked into one that just barely boiled. I pumped the board up and my back foot wasn't even on the board except for split second adjustments on the first three pumps. Pretty stoked on getting into that one. I need a downwind board. This summer is going to be a mad house since all the rich people aren't going to summer in Bali or wherever it is they go.

Caught a real set and 45 seconds later made it to the inside spot. I could've made that section, but a SUP was going for it, so I kicked out. Caught a medium one and was gonna go in, but when I got to the sand I looked back and all the wavestorm kids had left and it was just 3 SUPS. So I went back out and caught a few more 2-1's and then got outa there. Not a bad day.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Fun Foil weekend!

Toiled with Ghostshaper on Friday. Took a bit to figure out how to get going and never really got the endless ride on the wake. I did get onto a couple swells and pump alongside the boat, I can see how addictive a downwind feels.

Had decent timing on Father's day morning and got into San O early for my first quadruple. Spent the rest of the day trying to recover.

Got back on the Albatross 175 this morning after a couple months on the Hyper 210. As expected, definitely less glide and had to be rocketing to get a decent pump out the back. On a wave, wow, big speed difference, GPS max speed was 3mph faster. Got tossed off a couple times trying to do turns at full speed.

I fitted the flat 18" stab after seeing Sozzle fit one on his LOL. Don't know why I held back, it's like a booster rocket over the other stabs and I can't feel any less control.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
ah sick one grendel!!! mine was only 16 to start and i cut it down to 14 after 1 session and i think i've fucked it, probably be ok for the grom though!!
making a new one as we speak, it really makes the lol wing rideable and it pumps like a mofo with the high aspect tail.

i'm doing one with a bit more chord for stability but thinner on another new one, G10 is fvcking rank to work with, the dust!!!

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
i'm doing one with a bit more chord for stability but thinner on another new one, G10 is fvcking rank to work with, the dust!!!
Vicious stuff and super toxic ... quality respirator mandatory!
What are you using for tools? I found it eats sandpaper ... I used a belt sander with 50grit. I bought a bench wheel grinder, planned to see if that might work better, but haven't had a chance yet.
For cutting or drilling, carbide was the ticket. It was amusing to see how it pretty much melts a steel jigsaw blade. And if you want countersunk bolts, a tapered grinding drill bit is gold (not metal).

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
4 1/2 inch 40 grit flap wheel on a grinder, two stabs and it pretty much polishing it now!! Finished off with 50 on my big sander, def need a new mask now, nostrils are feeling a bit tortured...
Got a cool 1/4 inch shank grinding bit set that goes through g10 like butter for doing the countersinking.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Just when I think I've found the slowest wave in the world. I go check out another spot and am once again amazed at how slow waves can be. I guess there's a reason I've never surfed Sunset in all these years. It was OK on a foil because it's amazing for pumping 2 for 1's. All the energy pushes off the rocks and you can kick out with no speed and gain speed on the pump. Normally that's quite hard for me to do. I pulled some surfline clips, but they're not even worth me uploading to youtube. Probably won't be going back there.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
The old guy that's been foiling about as long as me was out today. He got himself a new 6'6" SUP and he's on a GL140. He was flying on that thing. Rode behind him on a couple and he was outpacing my Lift 200 classic.

I like the idea of that wing. Not super wide like all the other high aspect wings out there.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
My friend has a 140, it has huge range from tiny waves to good overhead, he pumps like a mofo On it, pisses me off when I’m on the 1600 lol in small waves, always blows me away how high aspects pump.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Swell was bigger today so I got my brother's Lift 170 Fish to try out. Still used my 28 inch mast. Man is that wing responsive. I set it at the same spot in the tracks as I put my 200, one fingers width from the front. I rode a few waves and fought to keep the nose out of the water the whole time. Thankfully I brought an allen wrench with me in the water. So I slammed the foil all the way forward in the tracks.

It worked better after that, but I think it might've been a tiny bit to far forward then. I get why people like how it turns. The responsiveness is immediate. No waiting for the wing to roll over. BUT, the downside is glide. It pumps a little bit, but no 2 for 1's today. I don't think I actually liked it. It was only one session, but I am so used to the glide of the 200 I missed that. Maybe if I was in overhead waves I'd ride it, but I can keep the 200 in the water on overhead waves too so I'm not sure I'd ride it even then.

My best way to explain what it felt like is if I was to borrow a 28 liter board from a guy who is 155 pounds and I'm 185 pounds and ride a 32 liter board. Yeah I can ride the 28 liter board, but it's to small for me. The fish tail was cool though. Pretty sure you can feel that up and down flex in the fuselage. It pops up so fast when you pump on waves.

I can also see why my brother is having trouble learning on that 170 fish. To responsive. I let him borrow my 200 for awhile. Probably gonna give him my setup and sell his setup so I can fund an Axis 900 for myself.

PS: Also not sure if you guys knew or not, but Laird is really good at foiling.

Just ordered a Axis 900 setup. My brother did too. Anyone want some lift gear? I have a 24" mast 170 fish and 28" mast 200 classic. I'll post craigslist with pictures this weekend probably.

Last edited: