Foil mounts - what's what and what's best?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not a whole lot information out there on the nuances of different box types. I can't seem to find a rundown anywhere.

Beyond that

It seems like there would be tremendous pressure on this area of the board and high risk for failure. What's working and what isn't?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Tuttle box. Used by GoFoil. Maybe some kite brands. Pro, you can screw in from the deck providing a mount to the deck and bottom of the board? I don't know I've never used them. Just know some guys swear by them. Con, you can't adjust the foil forward or back for more or less lift to dial in positioning for different wings.

Track mounts. Used by most everyone else. Pro, you can move the tracks forward and back to dial in lift. Forward more lift. Back less lift. Different brands all like different placements in the tracks.

I've only ever had one board and the tracks in that have been fine with no problems in 2 years. Other guys blow through boxes, Progression podcast talks about this a lot. I think most of the main board manufacturer's have figured out how to make the tracks quite bulletproof now.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
tuttle boxes are friken BULLETPROOF!...you can hit every single rock on oahu, maui, malibu and ventura combined...multiple times and it wont break...i tried...but you cant adjust forward or back like Hd1p said...so when learning tuttlemount is best cause youre gonna hit EVERYTHING. ..

once you figure things out though tracks are best...every setup has its sweet spot.on the board...might take a whole day of testing just to tune it up right