Foil Froth Fever

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
That's a lot of foils in one place. Looks like a great foil wave too.
That is 80% of the local crew, all out on the same semi-lame morning session. One of those days that is close to unsurfable, with too little swell to make the spots work ... but "epic foiling". It is remarkable how foiilng can transform terrible surf into so much fun. I think it's mostly the rush of being an extra 2' higher and moving fast. But also making use of something otherwise unusable, taking sh*t and making it a tasty meal(*). All of the local foil crew are long-time surfers who got tired of the jostling crowds, and have been longboarding and supping (and kiting) the B-waves for years. Foil is a massive gain on a SUP. Especially prone.

* McGavin: I eat pieces of sh!t like you for breakfast.
Happy Gilmore: You eat pieces of sh!t for breakfast?
McGavin: No.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
im still here but socal has been crap lately...just cam bak from oahu 2 weeks ago so im spoild...those hawaii guys get to surf every day...

i wish it wasnt such a pain to upload pics here

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I thought it was mentioned on this thread, but probably on foil feed. Most amazing kid's science fair project (sci teacher bias):

Reactions: sozzle

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
im still here but socal has been crap lately...just cam bak from oahu 2 weeks ago so im spoild...those hawaii guys get to surf every day...

i wish it wasnt such a pain to upload pics here
Just cut and paste the link to your Instagram page steamroller.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
So grendel dropped off his first foil for me to turn into a canard:

Thinking about setting it up like this, w/ the main wing under the mast, using the same bolts, and the canard on top of the fuse:

Fuse length will be about 60 cm. Canard is backwards b/c of the foil (see contour lines). Need to reshape and foil (sand) it. Not sure if the canard is close enough to the main wing to induce canard effect. Don't want to move it too close, though, b/c will lose stability (I suck enough). Maybe adding another canard just fore of the main wing would help w/o adding much drag, since it would be in the wake of the front canard. Gonna have to measure out SA of all the wings to compare.

Feb 10, 2019
I'm not sure, but I think we will eventually want the front stabilizer mounted in an arrangement that is deeper in the water than the main wing. For one, I think it will breach during pumping, and also I think making sure its "wake" isn't disturbing the flow over the main lifting wing. making the fuse shorter and the wing a bit bigger is probably also a good call.

from the picture, it looks like you'll have to get the foil all the way forward in the box and even then your weight probably has to be further back on the board than typical.

Other than that, try a few pitch angles on the front stab and I bet you'll get there

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'm not sure, but I think we will eventually want the front stabilizer mounted in an arrangement that is deeper in the water than the main wing. For one, I think it will breach during pumping, and also I think making sure its "wake" isn't disturbing the flow over the main lifting wing. making the fuse shorter and the wing a bit bigger is probably also a good call.

from the picture, it looks like you'll have to get the foil all the way forward in the box and even then your weight probably has to be further back on the board than typical.

Other than that, try a few pitch angles on the front stab and I bet you'll get there
Hi Jon,
If you look up the canard effect, the main purpose of the design is to have the canard direct the flow onto the main, which prevents separation at high angles of attack at lower speeds.

The goal is to get the rig feeling more like surfing, so more back foot pressure. I'm still struggling getting use to the front foot pressure of a normal foil. First thing I want to do when I catch a wave is crank a bottom turn off my back foot. Old habits die hard.

Last edited:

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Brief personal experience making canard kite wings. Quite challenging to find the balance point. Mine needed tons of back foot pressure and would fall off foil randomly. I didn't invest the effort to dial it in, so many variables!

Very much look forward to your reports. You will be stoked when you stomp your first hard turn...very noticeable difference....like a WOW level.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Made the mods and took it out yesterday. Just grendel out. Caught about 5 waves, didn't get up on foil once. Then the base plate started to come loose, so I got out.

Looked at the angles of my axis wings and realized how these flat wings have too low of an AOA. Gonna shim the canard wing a little and make something to mount my axis wing to this fuse w/o having to drill any new holes in the wing or fuse. I have some G10 and fg panels lying around.

This is what the setup looks like as of yesterday:

More mods coming.

Reactions: sozzle and Hdip

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
my froth contribution ... buddy screwed up his shoulder after 40 days straight of foiling, plus trying wing foiling in too-light wind, so now he's stuck flying the drone. This is not a great wave day and, as it turns out, we suck! But as I tell everyone, "it's a lot more fun than it looks!"

I am the white helmet sup and the yellow board prone rider at 2:15 (last wave) if you make it far. :)

How much volume is that last board?
Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Made the mods and took it out yesterday. Just grendel out. Caught about 5 waves, didn't get up on foil once. Then the base plate started to come loose, so I got out.

Looked at the angles of my axis wings and realized how these flat wings have too low of an AOA. Gonna shim the canard wing a little and make something to mount my axis wing to this fuse w/o having to drill any new holes in the wing or fuse. I have some G10 and fg panels lying around.
Good on ya. Though not sure if AOA is the issue. The Zeeko spitfire wings are dead flat mounted on a flat fuselage. However, that's for kiting, where you have way more speed. Maybe the bigger XXLW version they make has more AOA? Dunno. Doesn't look like it: http://zeeko-kites.com/gb/all-the-products/426-spitfire-edition-alloy-hydrofoilxxlw-3760253112307.html
Front wing is quite big though, seems a lot more sized up versus the kite version.

What you really want, ideally, is to get this behind a boat. You can fine tune, try it out, fine tune again...a month's worth of surfing experimentation in an hour or two. I'd offer, but not enough social distance on my boat. Plus I am on vancouver island :)

Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I looked at the surface area of the xlw vs the xxlw: 800 vs 1300, iirc. I think I could get away w the xlw given that both wings lift, and if the setup is 20% more efficient.

I'm going to see if I can make a shim for my 1100 cm sq Axis wing to fit.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Made a block to fit my Axis wings so that I can attach them to grendel's fuse he loaned me. Waiting on the stainless square nuts to fit the screws so that they don't pull out. I had some 1/4" G10 lying around for making fins and sandwiched some paulownia wood between them.