Foil Epidemic Maui

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Clayster said:
Kaser1 said:
Autoprax said:
Are guys foiling where people are short boarding?
No. The waves that we foil, a shortboarder couldn't even get into, or would want to. Fat, slopey, small, big. I've been out on big, barreling surf on the foil and it's not fun. :bawling:
If they are foiling different waves, why the conflict? Sups and Longboarders are annoying because they are wave hogs, and can't control themselves.

Foiling looks kind of fun to me; sups not so much.
foil people i know catch waves like surfing. self paddle rather than oar paddle. doing it on smaller days where most people are longboarding. so on a shorter board, they're not catching as many waves as longboarers

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
stu dog said:
Clayster said:
Kaser1 said:
Autoprax said:
No. The waves that we foil, a shortboarder couldn't even get into, or would want to. Fat, slopey, small, big. I've been out on big, barreling surf on the foil and it's not fun. :bawling:
If they are foiling different waves, why the conflict? Sups and Longboarders are annoying because they are wave hogs, and can't control themselves.

foil people i know catch waves like surfing. self paddle rather than oar paddle. doing it on smaller days where most people are longboarding. so on a shorter board, they're not catching as many waves as longboarers
I have seen this potential for conflict too. A 5 foot board with a 4 pound apparatus below it is no match for a hungry long board in the take off area. In a friendly situation I guess it could all work itself out because (I think) the foiler, once up, would be long gone and down the line where the depending on the skill of the LB'er would be busy working closer to the shoulder. It's all ass slapping and goodness until it's not.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
OneWorldEd said:
How deep does it have to be to foil? We have a way out inlet wave where I could do this solo, but man, I could see that blade pitching you face first if it contacted the bottom.
The mast on most is 24", add more room for the turned down wing tips. I'd say at least 3ft deep.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Sniper said:
I just saw a guy pumping like a mad man to get back out to a 2 foot mushball. He was close to turning back onto the wave and he clipped a nice chunk of reef. I went over to check on him and we checked out the gofoil and it literally only had a tiny scratch. I was seriously impressed by the durability, that would wreck a normal fin and fin box.
Yep I tagged a coral head paddling out yesterday on my SUP and went over the bars. I checked the wing when I got out and barely a scratch in the paint. I too was surprised, but they are made of carbon.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Mr_Stagger_Lee said:
stu dog said:
Clayster said:
Kaser1 said:
Autoprax said:

I have seen this potential for conflict too. A 5 foot board with a 4 pound apparatus below it is no match for a hungry long board in the take off area. In a friendly situation I guess it could all work itself out because (I think) the foiler, once up, would be long gone and down the line where the depending on the skill of the LB'er would be busy working closer to the shoulder. It's all ass slapping and goodness until it's not.
Yep, I've done that. I was riding my 7'6" midlength foil board end of last summer on a waist high morning. Took off right next to a guy on a longboard. We both got to our feet at the same time, by the time i looked back he was 50 yards away and I was still pulling away.

I've been around enough foils this winter and have a good gauge on how fast/far someone is gonna travel if you see'um coming down the line. This morning was a good 4' (couple feet overhead) and lined up out at Ka'a. Went out there with DKalama and a couple others. DK caught a screamer that he was at least 100yrds up the reef and made it to me within less than 8 seconds.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Kaser1 said:
OneWorldEd said:
How deep does it have to be to foil? We have a way out inlet wave where I could do this solo, but man, I could see that blade pitching you face first if it contacted the bottom.
The mast on most is 24", add more room for the turned down wing tips. I'd say at least 3ft deep.
That doesn't add up. it should be 2 feet 5 inches?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Kaser1 said:
Sniper said:
I just saw a guy pumping like a mad man to get back out to a 2 foot mushball. He was close to turning back onto the wave and he clipped a nice chunk of reef. I went over to check on him and we checked out the gofoil and it literally only had a tiny scratch. I was seriously impressed by the durability, that would wreck a normal fin and fin box.
Yep I tagged a coral head paddling out yesterday on my SUP and went over the bars. I checked the wing when I got out and barely a scratch in the paint. I too was surprised, but they are made of carbon.
"tagged a coral head" with my "two foot mast and downturned carbon wingtips"....

"barely a scratch in the paint"...... kniiiiice, NOT!

:loser: :rolleyes: :fight: :applause: :bricks: :crazy2: :barf: :censored: :censored: :censored:

the ocean keeps tabs brother. such wanton disregard for something that takes so long to grow.

very surprised that the likes of kalama and other hawaiians of his repute get behind something that so clearly is going to desimate reefs that 'are doing so well already'.

you are aware that coral reefs are dying off and do not need your help in their race for extinction, right?

i mean, does NOBODY think about the consequences of their actions anymore?

destroying coral reefs at a break near you!

yeah, this bozo wing thingy is SO COOL!

:foreheadslap: :loser: :ban: :barf:

i'm starting to think i've lived too long already... not sure i like this shyte show people are putting on these days. where does it all end? how many more chunks of reef for all the bozos to learn to work these foolish devices? how long will the FAD last before the next environmental resource destructive stupid trend comes along?

foilborders who ride those things anywhere the depths are less than 4' should be tied to the bottom of a SUP and ridden over a shallow reef.... just like the tailgaters need to be tied to the front of their cars... maybe then.

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :loser: :loser: :loser: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Found a video from one of my favorite foil spots here on Maui. It also shows typical mid day conditions, windy onshore and sloppy...perfect foil conditions. Nobody around but foils.

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/202466208[/vimeo]

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
"destroying coral reefs at a break near you!

yeah, this bozo wing thingy is SO COOL!"

Lousy argument, but ok it's the er'BB. We get it, you hate foil. :rolleyes:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Kaser1 said:

dearest ka uno,

with all due respect, cleopatra... (queen of de-nial) ... here is why i wrote what you so easily dismiss as 'erBB'.

a-) the ocean provides us ALL with EVERYTHING we need to stay alive on this planet. clean air, water, food, place to live, etc... EVERYTHING.

b-) the ocean provides a place of recreation, on top of EVERYTHING in (a).

c-) coral heads take FOREVER to grow.

d-) i could TRUELY personally give a rats arse what you ride.

e-) YOU ARE TAKING POTTY WHERE YOU EAT. both directly and indirectly.

f-) not one to judge, i know that as a human, i too am part of the problem.

which of the above makes it ok to tear chunks of coral heads with wanton abandon and dismiss it as "no biggie".

we all do what we want. our choices, define our actions, our actions define who we are....

i never in a million years would have pegged you as someone with such little care for nature.

have fun, enjoy your ocean activities... but just like you wouldn't leave a cigarette butt inthe sand, if you smoked, or how you would most likely take those plastic containers with all the pono yumm yumm poi and throw them into the ocean when you were done with them...

you HAVE to ask yourself, is it really ok to tear coral heads for our amusement?

is it really that hard to have a shorter mast for spots with shallower tides?

i know i keep several fins, some with the tips cut down on purpose cause 7" will touch the bottom, all for different spots/tides. yes it costs a bit more money, but think of what you are preserving byspending that dough.

again. do what you like, you will anyways... just think about trying to avoid the coral heads.

if only because that mast paint also costs money and it will eventually be a hit to your pocket od your hard earned cash, the days you have to replace it cause of all the times you "took a chunk outta the ocean floor"

:shrug: :socrazy:

so, is that how you broke the mast on that pink soft top too? just another chunk of coral gone, soyou could learn that the huge bulky heavy wing wiuldn't work on a piece of chinese pop out garbage? learn on my friend, but try and leave nature alone for those who may want toenjiy it and come behind you.

man, the human condition really trips me out sometimes.

what kind of animals takes craps in its ownfood plate and calls that diversion?

:dancing: :foreheadslap:

but yeah, it's just the erBB... forget anything about giving a phook about anything but our own ego.

kniiiiice, NOT!

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
SurfFuerte said:
Kaser1 said:

dearest ka uno,

with all due respect, cleopatra... (queen of de-nial) ... here is why i wrote what you so easily dismiss as 'erBB'.

a-) the ocean provides us ALL with EVERYTHING we need to stay alive on this planet. clean air, water, food, place to live, etc... EVERYTHING.

b-) the ocean provides a place of recreation, on top of EVERYTHING in (a).

c-) coral heads take FOREVER to grow.

d-) i could TRUELY personally give a rats arse what you ride.

e-) YOU ARE TAKING POTTY WHERE YOU EAT. both directly and indirectly.

f-) not one to judge, i know that as a human, i too am part of the problem.

which of the above makes it ok to tear chunks of coral heads with wanton abandon and dismiss it as "no biggie".

we all do what we want. our choices, define our actions, our actions define who we are....

i never in a million years would have pegged you as someone with such little care for nature.

have fun, enjoy your ocean activities... but just like you wouldn't leave a cigarette butt inthe sand, if you smoked, or how you would most likely take those plastic containers with all the pono yumm yumm poi and throw them into the ocean when you were done with them...

you HAVE to ask yourself, is it really ok to tear coral heads for our amusement?

is it really that hard to have a shorter mast for spots with shallower tides?

i know i keep several fins, some with the tips cut down on purpose cause 7" will touch the bottom, all for different spots/tides. yes it costs a bit more money, but think of what you are preserving byspending that dough.

again. do what you like, you will anyways... just think about trying to avoid the coral heads.

if only because that mast paint also costs money and it will eventually be a hit to your pocket od your hard earned cash, the days you have to replace it cause of all the times you "took a chunk outta the ocean floor"

:shrug: :socrazy:

so, is that how you broke the mast on that pink soft top too? just another chunk of coral gone, soyou could learn that the huge bulky heavy wing wiuldn't work on a piece of chinese pop out garbage? learn on my friend, but try and leave nature alone for those who may want toenjiy it and come behind you.

man, the human condition really trips me out sometimes.

what kind of animals takes craps in its ownfood plate and calls that diversion?

:dancing: :foreheadslap:

but yeah, it's just the erBB... forget anything about giving a phook about anything but our own ego.

kniiiiice, NOT!

:roflmao:

INT is American made! Ask JJR!!!

:dancing:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Bonzer5Fin said:
I'm not returning my foil. It was purchased from Hawaii. I have no coral reefs here. I'm good.
DOn't run over the kelp! You'll kill all the kelp! And the sea lions! Please don't kill all the sea lions in California! :roflmao:

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
Kaser1 said:
Bonzer5Fin said:
I'm not returning my foil. It was purchased from Hawaii. I have no coral reefs here. I'm good.
DOn't run over the kelp! You'll kill all the kelp! And the sea lions! Please don't kill all the sea lions in California! :roflmao:
I'll keep my eyes pealed for sea lice and anchovies, too!

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Nothing like a haole transplant bitching about crowds in Hawai'i. Good grief, you that dumb?

Hey Kuno, we enjoyed you much more when you were perving in the OC, taking pics of your neighbors.

Buy a clue "brah"

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
this is part of that "new school" cool...

...so cool to tear coral heads what takes so long to grow for your amusement.

phooking tools. :loser: :shameonyou:

Dec 18, 2014
I have seen very small SUP foilers taking set waves from shortboards in town/Oahu in front of the Shore Bird.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
sd_101 said:
It’s a Pandemic.

It’s not isolated, the spread has already occurred.

Seen some foil boards on the 5 freeway strapped to luxury SUV’s.

Saw the thread that showed PYZEL is selling foil setups in his new SoCal shop.

More kooks will follow. There will be a Costco foil, I’m sure.
How do people transport these things, given the two foot foil?