Foil Epidemic Maui

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Today was a real eye opener. Got to Ka'a early, was just a couple of the normal suspects parked and gearing up.

Sitting out the back during a lull, my buddy starts counting heads, 39 foilers were out by 10am.

Foiling a fad? Lets hope so...cause tons starting here.

Summer time gonna be :banghead:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Getting one made. There's a spot about 50 yards to the west of my local that is perfect for it and nobody surfs it.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
You've certainly done your part contributing to this madness. This will likely need to be regulated after the first few casualties.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Thankfully, there's a pack mentality in most peoples brain. Most tend to cluster around eachother and the playing field out at Ka'a is a about a square mile. You can go off and shake the pack.

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
Just wait until someone gets decapitated or worse, decapitates a monk seal. It is a fad anyway. When all of the kooks are doing it, then no one will foil anymore.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
they all started due to seeing kasers pics here

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
Topeslide said:
Just wait until someone gets decapitated or worse, decapitates a monk seal. It is a fad anyway. When all of the kooks are doing it, then no one will foil anymore.
I thought that's what they said about SUPs too. I don't see any kooks stopping except for the winter time cold water unfortunately.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
It's all good. there's always an empty outer reef for those too lazy for a 20 minute paddle out.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omr3dcmUb8[/video]

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
These were the same wavehogs who were surfing HPLBs back when that was the preferred weapon of mass wave count; then they moved on to the SUPs, and now they're moving into foiling. The common denominator is "must have more waves".

If we could talk them into offshore sailing we might not have to see these wavehogs in our lineups ever again.

Winning.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
GDaddy said:
These were the same wavehogs who were surfing HPLBs back when that was the preferred weapon of mass wave count; then they moved on to the SUPs, and now they're moving into foiling. The common denominator is "must have more waves".

If we could talk them into offshore sailing we might not have to see these wavehogs in our lineups ever again.

Winning.
I think it's going to be worse than that. The LB'ers that went over to SUP tended to be either up in age/weight, or lacked skill to ride a shortboard effectively.

What you're going to see now is foil is pulling from all surf craft pools. There are shortboarders doing it too. There are small kids doing it.

I also just heard there's a foil setup hitting the market and the price point is only $300. :blush2:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Autoprax said:
Are guys foiling where people are short boarding?
No. The waves that we foil, a shortboarder couldn't even get into, or would want to. Fat, slopey, small, big. I've been out on big, barreling surf on the foil and it's not fun. :bawling:

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Kaser1 said:
Autoprax said:
Are guys foiling where people are short boarding?
No. The waves that we foil, a shortboarder couldn't even get into, or would want to. Fat, slopey, small, big. I've been out on big, barreling surf on the foil and it's not fun. :bawling:
If they are foiling different waves, why the conflict? Sups and Longboarders are annoying because they are wave hogs, and can't control themselves.

Foiling looks kind of fun to me; sups not so much.

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Kauai
I just saw a guy pumping like a mad man to get back out to a 2 foot mushball. He was close to turning back onto the wave and he clipped a nice chunk of reef. I went over to check on him and we checked out the gofoil and it literally only had a tiny scratch. I was seriously impressed by the durability, that would wreck a normal fin and fin box.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
OneWorldEd said:
How deep does it have to be to foil? We have a way out inlet wave where I could do this solo, but man, I could see that blade pitching you face first if it contacted the bottom.
the mast is about 2 feet. people get pitched just from pumping. after the wave the nose wants to go down so it looks like you've got to get out into the flat part and pump early.