Flu

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
On day 4 of this sh!t. Sharp aches and pains throughout my body, 102 temp, chills, splitting headache, etc. Now barely able to get out of bed to get to the shitter to **** out of my arse. At what point do I go see the doc or put a bullet in my head. Surfing related cus the surf has been getting better everyday since this started. Your welcome.

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
scooch said:
On day 4 of this sh!t. Sharp aches and pains throughout my body, 102 temp, chills, splitting headache, etc. Now barely able to get out of bed to get to the shitter to **** out of my arse. At what point do I go see the doc or put a bullet in my head. Surfing related cus the surf has been getting better everyday since this started. Your welcome.
On day 11 of this damn Flu. First 5 days was feeling sick but started to feel better, then the fever and stomach issues happened. It set me back 4 more days. I'm just now feeling like i'm almost better. All my kids have it too...just a bummer all around. Got get Tammi-flu now if you still can.

walrus

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 1, 2007
NJ
In stead of whinnying on this site, you should have gone to doctor or er yesterday! The sooner you get supportive meds the better, tamiflu and fluids oral stat.......antibiotics are a waste unless you test positive for bacteria infection due to weakened state. Yes, CDC is not perfect, once in a while they Miss the mark. A shot that gives 40-50% protection is still better than no shot with Zero protection.. All these folks bitching and whinnying is a real chore.......do all the preventive stuff ( hand washing, fluids, avoid the sick folks). And if you do get it, follow the directions.....there is no magic pill, it's a virus. Know how many virus's we can cure once they infect? zero! Avoidance and preventive measures, if you still get sick......follow the directions..

Not sorry for the rant, but, I work in a clinic and some days the whinnying gets health care workers fed up....your sick fight back and deal with it,

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Steak said:
He was telling me how fvcked up the CDC was this year on the flu vaccine.

They make the annual vaccine out of a bunch of flu strains that they think will
be prevalent.

This year they missed it by a mile.
that's why i don't get the flu shot :nana:
18 years now only got the flu twice. only got a flu shot twice. coincidentally the years i got the shot i got the flu :wink2:

walrus

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 1, 2007
NJ

[/quote]

coincidentally the years i got the shot i got the flu

You have been lucking out with what is known as "herd protection". The larger group of the general population has protected unvaccinated you. It's like playing the lottery, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Good luck and stay away from my family. Also stay away from Disney land...no herd protection there either

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
walrus said:
coincidentally the years i got the shot i got the flu

You have been lucking out with what is known as "herd protection". The larger group of the general population has protected unvaccinated you. It's like playing the lottery, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Good luck and stay away from my family. Also stay away from Disney land...no herd protection there either
i'm for it if they modified the administration. one shot once a year is going to take a long time to build resistance, maybe even never. now multiple shots per year, or even pills, at lower dosages that could have more impact.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
walrus said:
You have been lucking out with what is known as "herd protection". The larger group of the general population has protected unvaccinated you. It's like playing the lottery, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Good luck and stay away from my family.
What a bunch of fear mongering nonsense.

Reposted from recent vaccine thread relating to the idiots who don;t get their kids vaccinated with REAL vaccines for your learning purposes:

casa_mugrienta said:
Norm' said:
casa_mugrienta said:
I thought the anti-vaccine trend went out of style when being autistic stopped being popular.

Flu vaccine however is a waste and always has been. Total scam.
People like you keep me in business. I feel bad for your patients though.
:roflmao:

The flu vaccine is for suckers who ignore the research.

Great little piece by a GP in the BMJ:
http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6182

Original Cochrane review piece relating to healthy adults:
http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001269/ARI_vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adults

And you can easily google the other Cochrane review pieces that say the vaccine is "no better than a placebo in the elderly" or "no benefit in vaccinating healthcare workers" etc. etc.

Yet the flu vaccine movement has grown exponentially over the past few years after the fearmongering over swine flu. healthcare organizations in California and other states are mandated by state and local law to require flu vaccination of healthcare workers. Or you're forced to wear a mask.

Any idea how much money is being made due to the mandated vaccinations?

And as far as your concern for my patients, they're better protected by my wearing a mask than if I received the flu vaccine. And that's not just this year, but every year.

Ever wonder why despite our fear of flu transmission, unscreened visitors are allowed in and out of the hospital all day long, vaccine or not, with no requirements to wear a mask?

Bottom line is if we're really concerned about flu transmission, everyone wears a mask.But guess what...no one really gives a sh!t about flu.:loser:

Physical barriers (masks) are proven to work. Unlike the silly excuse for a vaccine the flu jab is.
Funny thing is I've come to enjoy wearing the mandated mask. Keeps me protected from the all the other sick people including the people who get their yearly flu jab who of course aren't wearing a mask. Love explaining it to me patients, they feel even more protected since I'm wearing a proven to work barrier vs. a vaccine that is largely ineffective, even in the years when they guess the right strand. :grin:

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Well think I turned the corner on this stuff. Yesterday evening my 6 yo started showing some symptoms so my wife called a very experienced MD whom we have had great success with in the past. He also practices homeopathy, and blends the two, western medicine, and homeopathy with good results. He mixed us 3 different bottles of meds. Not sure of the exact contents of the concoctions he does but one was Beladonna, the other Pulsatilla, and the 3 rd. Was one that had the most up to date flu vaccine mixed in it. He's real adamant about taking the doses in a timely manner, every 2 hours. Luckily I have a great wife who was up all night administering them to us. Before my daughter started taking them she had a 103 temp. This morn I woke up to the sound of her laughing and being her normal self again. I'm not to far behind her with no more aches and pains. No more stomach issues, and mostly just feel like my body has taken a beating over the past few days. sh!t, I may still be able to catch some of this swell before it goes away.

Btw walrus, sounds like your going through some serious work burnout man. May be time for a career change.

psychophant

Miki Dora status
Jun 25, 2011
Hawai'i
scooch said:
... my wife called a very experienced MD whom we have had great success with in the past. He also practices homeopathy, and blends the two, western medicine, and homeopathy with good results. He mixed us 3 different bottles of meds. Not sure of the exact contents of the concoctions he does but one was Beladonna, the other Pulsatilla, and the 3 rd. Was one that had the most up to date flu vaccine mixed in it...
:foreheadslap:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i get sick about once a year. i got his thing too on new years day. felt like a cold, then elt like death flu for 2 days. felt fine since, but still have a bit of cough and congestion

went to hawaii and stayed with a host that just got sick for the 1st time in 5 years.
its definitely strong.
was feeling some stomach problems days ago , fine now though

walrus

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 1, 2007
NJ
[
Btw walrus, sounds like your going through some serious work burnout man. May be time for a career change. [/quote]

Good point, I'm leaving clinic work the end of February. And returning to my love of EMS .....better hours,(I have a ton of seniority) and dealing with folks who ready need us is a lot more fun. Blood and stupidly is better than whinnying millenniums any day

psychophant

Miki Dora status
Jun 25, 2011
Hawai'i
Regarding flu herd immunity and also HCPs getting flu vaccines,

vaccination rates are often suboptimal to get benefit in populations, i.e. herd immunity. The elderly will more likely benefit if they are not exposed to influenza at all rather than relying of vaccine mediated protection. It may be more important if those around them, say their health care provider or family, receives the vaccine and as a result does not pass flu on to more vulnerable people. But we rarely (never, ever, never) get vaccination rates at levels for herd immunity to kick in.
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/flu-vaccine-efficacy/

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
I had the swine flu a few years ago when that was making the rounds.

Knocked me out for two weeks. Didn't feel like my normal self for almost 2 months because I kept getting sick with random colds since I was so run down. Ugh.

Tell Sackett

OTF status
Oct 23, 2014
Runny nose in the AM, some coughing, Light body aches, coughing off and on all night, Tired the next morning, more nasal drippings, chest and body sore from the continuous coughing.
Finally went to the Doctors.
Robitussin w/Codeine, for the night time coughs so I can sleep.
AZithromycin Z-Pak
Benzonatate 100mg caps for day time coughing
Ventolin Inhaler for shortness of breath
:toilet:

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
Thought it was the gross harbor sludge from the dredge. Now, I'm hating it. I felt pretty okay an hour ago. Glad I surfed all weekend.