Florida hpsb inquiry

Oct 25, 2022
First post here. Stumbled upon the forums researching Pyzel Ghost lol. Sixty pages later I’m still looking for some input, if you could please. Looking for a new hpsb for Florida when it gets decent to good, chest to HH a few feet above that as it doesn’t get huge here in NFL. As I said, I was looking at the Ghost, mini ghost, shadow, & driver 2.0....then I was saw something about the patterson i15 & that friggen looks good too. I’m 48, 6’ 198lbs , in pretty decent shape, surf decent but tired of missing good waves from bad board choice. Got a spinetek sampler that I ride most the time. It’s like almost stock dims @ like 5’9” 29.6 L. This board rides great, one of the best I’ve had until it gets a lil bigger & juicer. I can catch waves pretty easily even below WH. My hpsb now is a stock 6’ happy plus 31.4L. It rides good & I like it but struggling to get in early. I need more liters &/a different shape. I’m thinking around 6”-6’’2” & 33-34L. Just wanted to get some nuggets of wisdom from y’all if you’ve had any of these boards. I appreciate it

Reactions: Aruka

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
I've never had much luck reading surfboard descriptions online and buying them based on that. A mayhem hpsb described as low rocker will probably have more rocker than another shapers board marketed as medium or high rocker so it's not a very good comparison.

I've had the best luck getting customs from shapers who will look at what I'm currently riding, is familiar with the waves I surf the most, and will talk to me in person for 5-20 min about what I like or don't like about them. This is easy for me to say because I'm in socal and have access to a lot of very good shapers but there has to be some people in North Florida.

Also liters is a good bench mark but I've had boards that caught waves easier than a board with more liters listed on the stringer. Maybe the numbers were wrong, but I think rocker and to a lesser extent planshape impact how easy or hard it is for a board to catch waves.

Oct 25, 2022
I've never had much luck reading surfboard descriptions online and buying them based on that. A mayhem hpsb described as low rocker will probably have more rocker than another shapers board marketed as medium or high rocker so it's not a very good comparison.

I've had the best luck getting customs from shapers who will look at what I'm currently riding, is familiar with the waves I surf the most, and will talk to me in person for 5-20 min about what I like or don't like about them. This is easy for me to say because I'm in socal and have access to a lot of very good shapers but there has to be some people in North Florida.

Also liters is a good bench mark but I've had boards that caught waves easier than a board with more liters listed on the stringer. Maybe the numbers were wrong, but I think rocker and to a lesser extent planshape impact how easy or hard it is for a board to catch waves.
I hear ya. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it’s crazy how the shape of my sampler paddles & catches waves so good compared to my happy that’s almost a couple more liters. The last few boards I’ve gotten I’ve been just going up a liter at a time. That’s what got me looking at the Pyzels & that Driver 2.0 with more foam in the chest area? I haven’t used a local shaper since I got on that channel island train in the mid to late nineties. I believe there are a few good ones around & have considered that route.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I hear ya. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it’s crazy how the shape of my sampler paddles & catches waves so good compared to my happy that’s almost a couple more liters. The last few boards I’ve gotten I’ve been just going up a liter at a time. That’s what got me looking at the Pyzels & that Driver 2.0 with more foam in the chest area? I haven’t used a local shaper since I got on that channel island train in the mid to late nineties. I believe there are a few good ones around & have considered that route.

Oct 25, 2022
Check out my Pyzalien 2- It's got a great rocker for decent to great waves and combines the added forward volume outline and foil with a real HPSB feel/ride.
It's always been a personal favorite of mine and many others, yet never really had the attention of many of our other models.
check it here and there is also an XL version
Thanks for the response! Those pyzalian2s are pretty sick looking! In my researching, I wasn’t sure if that fit the upper wave range of hurricane swells & northeasters? Something from y’all is definitely at the top of my short list. Considered perhaps a custom ghost with a tiny bit wider, more rounded tail or a shadow round tail? I’m all over the map. What’s the turn around time for a custom. Probably a busy time in the season for you. Thanks again!

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
First post here. Stumbled upon the forums researching Pyzel Ghost lol. Sixty pages later I’m still looking for some input, if you could please. Looking for a new hpsb for Florida when it gets decent to good, chest to HH a few feet above that as it doesn’t get huge here in NFL. As I said, I was looking at the Ghost, mini ghost, shadow, & driver 2.0....then I was saw something about the patterson i15 & that friggen looks good too. I’m 48, 6’ 198lbs , in pretty decent shape, surf decent but tired of missing good waves from bad board choice. Got a spinetek sampler that I ride most the time. It’s like almost stock dims @ like 5’9” 29.6 L. This board rides great, one of the best I’ve had until it gets a lil bigger & juicer. I can catch waves pretty easily even below WH. My hpsb now is a stock 6’ happy plus 31.4L. It rides good & I like it but struggling to get in early. I need more liters &/a different shape. I’m thinking around 6”-6’’2” & 33-34L. Just wanted to get some nuggets of wisdom from y’all if you’ve had any of these boards. I appreciate it
I am 45, 5'10, 190-195 and surf NC.I have a Ghost for our better days in NC. My son is in school in central FL and have surfed N. FL on visits. While I have not surfed N. FL when it is maxing, it seems that it will be quite different than Hatteras and NC Outer Banks. Generally speaking, It seems that the shape of the wave is more almond shaped barrels as opposed to the square or boxy shape the Outer Banks good waves provided. Thus, dramatic tail rockers combined with lower rockers may not be as helpful as a more round shaped wave. Though I am speaking in generalities, but I could be wrong about N. FL, my experience with the Ghost (6'1 stock thruster) is that it is a surprisingly good hpsb for good days but not necessarily only epic days. While the Ghost has been clearly proven in Pipeline and such waves, but I have surfed in a head high wind swell and found it really fun. I describe the way it works as having easy front foot drive (look at the way JJF surfs) and then with a rocker, rail and tail shape that enables you to surf vertically and easily carve. I also did not fall in love with a Phantom (5'11 stock), but rave about the Ghost.

My Ghost was a great deal due to a ding in shipping. If I was ordering or buying full priced off the rack, I would go for the XL version in the shorter length for good East Coast waves. It bumps up the volume but keeps the length shorter.

I am curious about the CI Happy (OG) that you have. Can you describe how it works in good Florida surf (say head high New Smyrna Inlet)? It looks similar in design to the Ghost, but has a midpoint further back with a different apex in the rocker. Looks like it would a good board for chunky wind swell in the head high range. Can you give a review of it for Florida surf?

Thanks.

Reactions: T.Snide and Aruka

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Maybe a 6'2- 6'3 Happy in standard dims? Happy Traveler for anything serious. My buddy is a CI loyalist and all he rides in N FL are Rocket Wides and Happys.
As Mr. Pyzel said the P2 is amazing! Wish I had got on them earlier. Excellent east coast daily for me.
Or go see Drew and get step up version of his Floridaboard?

Reactions: T.Snide and Aruka

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Welcome to the forum . Florida answer as always should be a Greg griffin 5 fin . Rip GG:cheers:Just an Fyi those are glasses of wine with ice cubes not beer

Reactions: Hazrus and T.Snide

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response! Those pyzalian2s are pretty sick looking! In my researching, I wasn’t sure if that fit the upper wave range of hurricane swells & northeasters? Something from y’all is definitely at the top of my short list. Considered perhaps a custom ghost with a tiny bit wider, more rounded tail or a shadow round tail? I’m all over the map. What’s the turn around time for a custom. Probably a busy time in the season for you. Thanks again!
We do offer wide tailed Ghost customs too. If you want to get answers about time frames, shipping, etc. please go to our website and hit up the "Live Chat" for quick answers

Oct 25, 2022
I am 45, 5'10, 190-195 and surf NC.I have a Ghost for our better days in NC. My son is in school in central FL and have surfed N. FL on visits. While I have not surfed N. FL when it is maxing, it seems that it will be quite different than Hatteras and NC Outer Banks. Generally speaking, It seems that the shape of the wave is more almond shaped barrels as opposed to the square or boxy shape the Outer Banks good waves provided. Thus, dramatic tail rockers combined with lower rockers may not be as helpful as a more round shaped wave. Though I am speaking in generalities, but I could be wrong about N. FL, my experience with the Ghost (6'1 stock thruster) is that it is a surprisingly good hpsb for good days but not necessarily only epic days. While the Ghost has been clearly proven in Pipeline and such waves, but I have surfed in a head high wind swell and found it really fun. I describe the way it works as having easy front foot drive (look at the way JJF surfs) and then with a rocker, rail and tail shape that enables you to surf vertically and easily carve. I also did not fall in love with a Phantom (5'11 stock), but rave about the Ghost.

My Ghost was a great deal due to a ding in shipping. If I was ordering or buying full priced off the rack, I would go for the XL version in the shorter length for good East Coast waves. It bumps up the volume but keeps the length shorter.

I am curious about the CI Happy (OG) that you have. Can you describe how it works in good Florida surf (say head high New Smyrna Inlet)? It looks similar in design to the Ghost, but has a midpoint further back with a different apex in the rocker. Looks like it would a good board for chunky wind swell in the head high range. Can you give a review of it for Florida surf?

Thanks.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was looking at a 6’1” ghost xl online. I’m all wishy washy & it sold. My Happy rides really well. Does what I need it to do for a hpsb & my abilities...turns good, holds rail well on carves but it’s taking to much to get into some waves as I’m missing too many jewels. I’ve had pretty good luck with the CI’s over the years but was wanting something different. I liked the idea of more foam in the chest or hidden & the foiled tail? Trying to find the magic catching wave abilities of my Sampler in a hpsb. I ride that most of the time around here & consider it my groveler but we do get our days. Definitely not like Outer Banks though.

Oct 25, 2022
Maybe a 6'2- 6'3 Happy in standard dims? Happy Traveler for anything serious. My buddy is a CI loyalist and all he rides in N FL are Rocket Wides and Happys.
As Mr. Pyzel said the P2 is amazing! Wish I had got on them earlier. Excellent east coast daily for me.
Or go see Drew and get step up version of his Floridaboard?
Yep, I’ve considered that too & have come to the conclusion that I just might have to go taller which probably isn’t that big a deal. If I can get that through my thick head, I’ve always liked my height or shorter.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010