Florence Marine Sale

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I dont understand the motivation behind him and Smelly Skater starting clothing companies, vanity projects???

If I was there financial panther/advisor I’d tell them you’ve got the beau coup dolares already bro now your job is not to lose it.
And if you have to start a company don’t do it with your own money. You stay with Hurley and you get you checks for doing nothing bro.

That's why you are NOT anyone's financial advisor.

$20 boardies is still a deal these days. I just don't need any right now. I'm still wearing my freebies from the early oughts

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I was wondering if he was smart enough to not sever ties completely with Hurley/Bob.

I also wonder if Laird doesn’t wish he started a clothing company instead sometimes?
you mean like Laird Apparel? Do you even foil SUP, bro?? Seems like surf wear for non-surfers in Malibu/West LA

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
So it looks like Kandui (Hurley) owns Florence and Simple and I can't figure out what else. Simple Shoes is way, way larger than Florence Marine. Pat O'Connell is the president so I wonder if JJF is just an investor / ambassador / product designer, or does he actually have a hand in running the company?

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
you mean like Laird Apparel? Do you even foil SUP, bro?? Seems like surf wear for non-surfers in Malibu/West LA
Im surprised there wasnt a thread ,but maybe was posted in the foul forum i dont look in there

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That's why you are NOT anyone's financial advisor.

$20 boardies is still a deal these days. I just don't need any right now. I'm still wearing my freebies from the early oughts
KS strikes me as someone not as smart as he thinks he is. I wonder if he was conned into sinking some of his own coin into OK?

1663794154095.jpeg

Last edited:

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I dont understand the motivation behind him and Smelly Skater starting clothing companies, vanity projects???

If I was there financial panther/advisor I’d tell them you’ve got the beau coup dolares already bro now your job is not to lose it.
And if you have to start a company don’t do it with your own money. You stay with Hurley and you get you checks for doing nothing bro.
It's not his money

Bob Hurley pretty much runs Florence Marine X

JJF is no dummy

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
It's not his money

Bob Hurley pretty much runs Florence Marine X

JJF is no dummy
That’s what I figured, especially with Bob at the helm. I thought he was crazy to not renew the domestic ’Bong license/start Hurley. I will never bet against Bob again.

KS on the other appears to have at least initially ponied up some dough to start OK, Kerrig came on as a minority investor at some point and you know that came with some strings attached.

From a risk/reward standpoint it makes no sense unless he really does think he’s Capt Planet but then why is his sh!t made overseas? When I want to put my money where my mouth is I buy sh!t not made by sketchy foreigners.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
That’s what I figured, especially with Bob at the helm. I thought he was crazy to not renew the domestic ’Bong license/start Hurley. I will never bet against Bob again.

KS on the other appears to have at least initially ponied up some dough to start OK, Kerrig came on as a minority investor at some point and you know that came with some strings attached.

From a risk/reward standpoint it makes no sense unless he really does think he’s Capt Planet but then why is his sh!t made overseas? When I want to put my money where my mouth is I buy sh!t not made by sketchy foreigners.
Bob is a legend and a good dude. The man knows the apparel game. I wouldn't bet against him either!

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
All these little surf apparel companies all want to be the next BillaQuickHurlCom. 90% of them won't make it.
Buyout and walk away sounds like the best possible outcome for a lot of these companies.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'll bet against Florence Marine X.

a) taking a surf angle to enter an already saturated "adventurewear" market
b) Nothing they're selling stands out. Nobody needs any $65 t-shirts that say "Florence Marine X" in a recessionary environment, or a $75 longsleeve. There are already trusted companies making the equivalent product at a better price.
c) too much variety - this ends in unsold inventory
d) lame name
e) bad timing

I get the impression his kids are running it. They're going to have to downsize their lineup if they want to stay in existence.

All these shitty companies are products of the easy lending/easy money the Federal Reserve has presided over for the past 20 years.

That ends now.

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I'll bet against Florence Marine X.

a) taking a surf angle to enter an already saturated "adventurewear" market
b) Nothing they're selling stands out. Nobody needs any $65 t-shirts that say "Florence Marine X" in a recessionary environment, or a $75 longsleeve. There are already trusted companies making the equivalent product at a better price.
c) too much variety - this ends in unsold inventory
d) lame name
e) bad timing

I get the impression his kids are running it. They're going to have to downsize their lineup if they want to stay in existence.

All these shitty companies are products of the easy lending/easy money the Federal Reserve has presided over for the past 20 years.

That ends now.
Y u hate capitalism so much?

:roflmao::shrug::poke:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
All these little surf apparel companies all want to be the next BillaQuickHurlCom. 90% of them won't make it.
Buyout and walk away sounds like the best possible outcome for a lot of these companies.
There was some element of creativity with Bong and Quik and they had teams filled with superstars.

Florence Marine X is a bland concept with a bland product that somewhat hinges on being a John John fan.

If you're not you probably aren't going to care all that much about it.