Flooring contractor in San Diego

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Need to find one ASAP to replace my subfloor. Anyone know of one or have any connections? I'm in the process of having laminate wood floors installed in my condo but Home Depot flooring crew cannot continue the demo due to the shape and quality of the particle board subfloor. They don't do subfloor replacement so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. Any help appreciated! I'm located in Bay Ho between PB and Clairemont.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
GeoPac said:
Need to find one ASAP to replace my subfloor. Anyone know of one or have any connections? I'm in the process of having laminate wood floors installed in my condo but Home Depot flooring crew cannot continue the demo due to the shape and quality of the particle board subfloor. They don't do subfloor replacement so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. Any help appreciated! I'm located in Bay Ho between PB and Clairemont.
Be very, very careful with any Home Depot contractors - especially those who have to stop in the middle of a job.

I was in an almost identical situation with them not too long ago. NEVER AGAIN. EVER.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
To re-sheath a floor you don't want/need a flooring contractor.

You will be better served with a framing contractor/carpenter.

Let the flooring contractor come in after you have the floor sheathing replaced.

huryanpost

Michael Peterson status
Dec 9, 2010
If the floor guy can’t do underlayment you might of hired the wrong people,

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Curious to know about this as well. Looking for a good contractor to do some upcoming work. Flooring, wall removal, countertop installation, couple of other things.

Feel free to PM me. Located in Oceanside.

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Ruben at R4K Construction is a SD native, cool guy, straight up honest and good pricing. He's done a lot of work for me and my neighbors, I highly recommend.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Isn't a particle board subfloor a big no-no in the first place? Not to say you're at fault in any way.......I just want to get my facts straight.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
jkb said:
Isn't a particle board subfloor a big no-no in the first place? Not to say you're at fault in any way.......I just want to get my facts straight.
Most likely it is OSB (oriented strand board) which carries the same grade stamp and structural properties as Plywood but is about 50% less in cost than plywood.

OSB is what is mainly used now in tract jobs just for the cost advantage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
keenfish said:
jkb said:
Most likely it is OSB (oriented strand board) which carries the same grade stamp and structural properties as Plywood but is about 50% less in cost than plywood.

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach
GeoPac said:

Look up John verzella on Facebook, hes Awesome !You should see some his work.Incredible!

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
jkb said:
keenfish said:
jkb said:

OSB doesn't hold nails like plywood so it squeeks. It also swells like crazy if it gets wet. Plywood is about 25% more for materials, and equal labor. So for 12% savings, its not worth it. Unless of course you are a tract or apartment builder.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
everysurfr said:
jkb said:
keenfish said:
jkb said:

OSB doesn't hold nails like plywood so it squeeks. It also swells like crazy if it gets wet. Plywood is about 25% more for materials, and equal labor. So for 12% savings, its not worth it. Unless of course you are a tract or apartment builder.
Eggzactly, but nail squeaks are way worse with plywood. This is a fact.

And plywood is way more than 25% above the cost of OSB at least in the wholesale world and it delaminates and buckles way worse than OSB when there is excess moisture involved.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
keenfish said:
everysurfr said:
jkb said:
keenfish said:
jkb said:

Eggzactly, but nail squeaks are way worse with plywood. This is a fact.

And plywood is way more than 25% above the cost of OSB at least in the wholesale world and it delaminates and buckles way worse than OSB when there is excess moisture involved.
We shall agree to disagree. If OSB was better, at a lower cost, then plywood would be obsolete. It isn't :poke:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A good local artist friend did an amazing particle board floor in his GF's house. He laid down raw particle board. All full of cracks, crevices. Then he took a custom paint airgun and laid a heavy coat of dark green paint over the whole deal. Took a belt sander and sanded off the upper layer down to the wood. Nice and smooth. Wood highpoints, Dark green paint in the seams and cracks. Then multiple coats of Varithene on top of everything to seal. With a final buff on the Varithene coat.

A killer looking floor,