Flights to Indo - what's your preferred airline for the long haul?

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Thinking about a surf trip to the Ments this spring/summer. What airlines do you guys who have done it a few times like best? Bonus points for minimal connections from LAX, reasonable board bag fees, and no grief for carrying 3+ boards in a coffin.

Feb 26, 2010
Singapore Air is brilliant - boards are not a hassle unless severely overweight... But still took us four flights to get from LA / SF to Padang (I think three legs on Sing, last on Garuda), and we had something like 12 hours on the ground in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. You can get there in two flights if you use some Chinese airlines, but boards might be sketchy. Sucks to be on airplanes or in airports for 30-45 hours straight.

Bring baby wipes, sleeping pills, and something good to read.

NDG

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 28, 2013
LA
Dont use China Air or China Airlines. Cant remember which one

Cheap and decent new comfy planes but its 150 per board. The food is godawful and the help is the rudest ive encountered.

etmo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2006
Minimal connections isn't too hard...A-B-C-D is the shortest choice, and there are a number of options.

LAX to Singapore is an easy find, as is Singapore to Jakarta, then Jakarta to Padang. Tough part there is that you're almost always stuck overnight in Singapore -- I've never seen a flight come in from the USA and connect anywhere. So that means you need a hotel, and in Singapore it's not cheap nor super trivial to shuttle back / forth to some hotel, and the hotel "in" the airport is about 350 bucks a night, minimum.

Alternative routes abound -- two steps to Kuala Lumpur then straight to PDG, and I've also flown through Dubai, Manila, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Seoul, then to Jakarta and on to PDG. I know you can fly through Guangzhou, but I wouldn't touch a Chinese airline with a 10-foot pole, such are the horror stories I've heard about board fees. There are probably more ways...I haven't flown every possible route, that's for sure.

The boards thing seems to be largely a function of luck and class of service :shrug: I'll say I seem to have to best luck on Singapore Air and the best way to eliminate luck from the equation is to fly business class or better, but I understand if that's not an option. I've never seen anyone skate by untouched with 3 or 4 boards in a coffin when they're in economy class, although I've heard stories of such leprechauns. Good luck, and if you're there in April, maybe I'll see ya!

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
lax -singapore arrive 3 am get transit hotel in airport then morning flight to jkt all on one ticket from
lax. on singapre air

get to padang from jkt numerous flights all day. bottom line its a pain in the ass getting there

never been charged for boards on singapore in coach on dozens of trips

united from lax to jkt code share with ana gets in at 11 55 pm. get cheap nice hotel near airport $40 and fly out next morning. $200 board fees ALWAYS

go over there twice a year and its gets more exhausting every time but well worth it

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
From what I understand there are no direct flights to Singapore from the US. There were for a few years from LAX and NYC, but the cost of fuel to carry the extra fuel required to get that far around the globe made it cost prohibitive :shrug: That's why all the flights go through Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, etc.

I rack up lots of United Miles on my credit card strictly for using them on Singapore Air. The service and lack of board fees is great, however it is usually not the most direct :shrug:

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Thanks for the responses all. I was hoping there was something easier that I was missing, but I'll deal haha.

Found out I might have a hook up on discounted Emirates flights, so I'm looking at Dubai connections now. A little more time in the air but similar travel time overall with one fewer stop than most other options doesn't sound too bad.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
no way around that long stop somewhere on the way
i have getting to nias down to a science and door to door takes on average 43 hours

etmo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2006
bird. said:
Thanks for the responses all. I was hoping there was something easier that I was missing, but I'll deal haha.

Found out I might have a hook up on discounted Emirates flights, so I'm looking at Dubai connections now. A little more time in the air but similar travel time overall with one fewer stop than most other options doesn't sound too bad.
I've done the Air Emirates thing thru Dubai. The plane was clean, service & food was decent or better. Dubai airport has a nice transit hotel -- it was maybe 80 bucks for the night. We had a 6 or 8 hour layover there, so it felt like heaven to take a shower and crash for a few hours.

eLmuchacho

Michael Peterson status
Jan 12, 2002
Japanese airlines. Might be cheaper on boards, and the staff is the most gentle. China is a rip off. Eva was free depending on size.

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
I think there are no direct flights due to relatively recent restrictions on flight durations for the crew. They can't fly more than 15 or 16 hours anymore. When I went, I flew Singapore Air from SFO and made it to Jakarta (via HKG and SIN) without having to stay over en route.

grapedrink said:
From what I understand there are no direct flights to Singapore from the US. There were for a few years from LAX and NYC, but the cost of fuel to carry the extra fuel required to get that far around the globe made it cost prohibitive :shrug: That's why all the flights go through Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, etc.

I've been flying Eva air consistently for years now. Super cheap like $750 lax-Jakarta and a boardbag up to 6-8 is $100. Singapore air is the best but as was said earlier a lot longer and multiple stops. Eva is lax-Taipei-Jakarta in 21 hrs

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
Good to know about EVA. The price and flight length from SFO are always good too. Last year I tried to pull off a last minute trip (3 days in advance) and their price was only about $1100. I was expecting it to be much higher.

Nov 19, 2010
Having 10+ Indo trips under my very fortunate belt I feel comfortable saying Singapore Air is #1 hands down, no questions asked. no extra costs for boards, coach feels like business class on many airlines, and the stewardesses are hot. Flying on Singapore Air is like a mini-vacation all on it's own, then again I actually like flying, reading, napping, listening to music so all good by me.
Always gonna be a layover in SNG. Flights usually get in around midnight and you have 6 hours to kill before departing to Jakarta. If timing is good you can get out of Jakarta and into Padang and on your way to the islands same day, but many times I've had to stay over night in in Jakarta. Next morning up and off to Padang and then depending on what boat you're on you either go to a hotel for a relaxing mid day swim in the pool before leaving for the islands late afternoon, or straight to the boat and on your way. If you can escape the overnight in Jakarta it saves you a full day.
It's a brutally long trip but so worth it. I timed it once from when I walked out my front door to leave for SFO and when I paddled out for my first wave at Lances Right: 53 hours.
Almost forgot: flew Eva Air to Bali and then Vietnam with my family last summer and it was also very, very nice. Just a click or 2 off Singapore, but a great backup plan if Singapore Air proves time or cost prohibitive.
Have fun!!!

That's it... You guys said it all Singapore or Eva both great service and jets as well as good prices Eva is cheaper but charges for boards and is a bit shorter of a flight but Singapore is trouble free no probs with boards but always 1 extra stop and could be a few $ more

Feb 26, 2010
Some filthy Aussies recommended "four floors of whores" while killing time in Singapore. Have to say, I was unimpressed. Unless you are into trannies / lady boys! Enjoy!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Looks like there are now non-stops on United from SFO to SIN:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/01/28/united-airlines-nonstop-singapore/

Confirmed with a flights.google.com seartch. Believe it :dancing: :beer: