Fitness tracker

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Anyone use a fitness tracker for swimming in the pool and ocean?
I'm looking for something that will track laps, time and distance.
I don't want to pay big bucks for a device that will measure my aura or tell me that I'm stressed out.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
I just purchased a Charge 5 and found out that you cannot display the lap count as you are swimming. You can't see it until you are done and open the Fitbit app. I would not recommend the Charge 5 to anyone as a swim tracker. Very deceptive advertising and promotional literature.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
That method clearly works when you just want to get some exercise.

I try to push myself to swim the mile faster each day to increase stamina.
To do that I need to have lap count vs time.

I personally don't find that counting up to 70 provides much brain exercise. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I got one of these for $150 about 8 years ago and it still works like a champ. Swam around three days a week, until COVID anyway. Had to replace the band after about five years but it wasn't expensive.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
When I swim laps I would count, to 70 often i would lose count several times daydreaming about my prowess, and i would have to swim extra to give benefit of the doubt which screws up the time.
I use runkeeper for kayak paddles, which is rough estimate at best as youre usually bobbing up and down, in and outwith the swell and currents.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That method clearly works when you just want to get some exercise.

I try to push myself to swim the mile faster each day to increase stamina.
To do that I need to have lap count vs time.

I personally don't find that counting up to 70 provides much brain exercise. :)
When you at variables it gets harder.

Try doing heavy bench press while doing simple math

It will cut your strength in half.

I see how a good counter could be helpful.

I would get an never use.

I hate swimming for distance.

I used to love to sprint.

My coach got into 1000 meter swims.

I dreaded them.

It would be a dark raining winter night and we would be grinding them out in the pool at Mt Sac.

I quit.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
it'll keep monitering as far as i know. just wont give you live reading if you start the actual "activity" of swimming. its def tracking that data in the water. you can see it through your app afterwards.
I understand that what they call a "Water Lock" activates when you select the swim option. I believe it turns off some of the sensors because they don't read properly in the water.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I got one of these for $150 about 8 years ago and it still works like a champ. Swam around three days a week, until COVID anyway. Had to replace the band after about five years but it wasn't expensive.

I had this and it worked pretty well for swim-specific tracking

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I understand that what they call a "Water Lock" activates when you select the swim option. I believe it turns off some of the sensors because they don't read properly in the water.
i wouldnt set it to the swim option at all and i dont fuck with the water lock ever. . itll auto recognize that youre swimming after 10 minutes of doing so and bank that sesh as a swim. it counts my surfs as swims. my heartrate gets tracked the entire time.

if you want it for swimming and counting laps, etc - probably the wrong watch in the first place.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
i wouldnt set it to the swim option at all and i dont fook with the water lock ever. . itll auto recognize that youre swimming after 10 minutes of doing so and bank that sesh as a swim. it counts my surfs as swims. my heartrate gets tracked the entire time.

if you want it for swimming and counting laps, etc - probably the wrong watch in the first place.
I agree that it is the wrong watch for counting laps. Before I bought it, I downloaded the owner's manual to verify that it did count laps and it says that counting laps is one of the features. Fitbit lied.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Galaxy 4 watch. Not the most expensive one that's knobby and bulky...the sleek looking step down that's very star trek.
I kick this things @ss. Smack it on stuff, drop it, take it surfing, so mine is a little dinged up around the edges but the glass is perfect still..it gets better with every update and I think it looks much better than the other options out there (apple watch looks like a fvckin' 90s tomagachi). It was not expensive, seems built to last rather than be replaced next year by a new model, and will track your exercise, as well as your sleep, heart rate, and other shlt if you want it to. I love how it handles maps when driving.

20220218_125519.jpg20220218_125553.jpg

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Got one of those amazfit band/watch as a present. Just wanted a watch to keep track of time when surfing so I don't space on my mothers meal schedule. (88 yo diabetic).

It's the TREX version.

Thou it doesn't have surfing as an option for excersize tracking, there is an open water swimming one that seems to work great. I'll have to calibrate with an actual open water swim to see how accurate it actually is though.

:p:computer::unsure:;)

May 24, 2020
I have a Fitbit. I'm happy with it. I have a version that's not getting hot and blowing up, so that's fine. Honestly, I never cared much about a fitness watch. I got my Fitbit as a gift, and if it wasn't for that gift, I probably wouldn't even own a fitness watch.
The most important thing for me is my exercise. I try to do the best things for myself. I hate leg days, but I try not to skip them. I also care a lot about supplements, which is why I buy them only at paradigmpeptides.com. It's a store I trust completely. I never had any problems with their stuff.

Last edited: