fish or mini-Simmons?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
really just depends what kinda surfing you wanna do. I have all three of these and they’re all keepers. Feel free to DM me if you have specific q’s. First two are excellent small wave boards; tk fish I prefer to ride above waist high. From most HP to least:
-Akila Aipa Contemporary Fish or Modern Fish
-Hydrodynamica GMM2 (HP minisim)
-Mitsven Hynd TKF

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I heard these davey sky skiffs are real fun and he is on east coast

Reactions: njsurfer42

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
really just depends what kinda surfing you wanna do. I have all three of these and they’re all keepers. Feel free to DM me if you have specific q’s. First two are excellent small wave boards; tk fish I prefer to ride above waist high. From most HP to least:
-Akila Aipa Contemporary Fish or Modern Fish
-Hydrodynamica GMM2 (HP minisim)
-Mitsven Hynd TKF
Other GMM2 owners on here might feel differently but I feel like it is better suited to decent or better shaped small waves. It struggles a bit when it's flat faced and small compared to my Lost Bottom Feeder. The GMM2 is epic in decent shaped small waves or slightly larger waves of all quality.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Other GMM2 owners on here might feel differently but I feel like it is better suited to decent or better shaped small waves. It struggles a bit when it's flat faced and small compared to my Lost Bottom Feeder. The GMM2 is epic in decent shaped small waves or slightly larger waves of all quality.
Huh. I use it as my groveler in mostly soft, slopey reefs and always liked it as a sort of step-down Evo. I maybe pigeon-holed it as groveler after an early bad day at a slabby reef, and figured the tail was too wide for steep bowls. I rarely surf beachbreaks so I was surprised how well it went in punchy surf at Scripps last year. I've found it to be a very versatile board. I sold my "backup" to my buddy after letting him try it, and he can't get off it, no matter the conditions.

Reactions: jkb and Havoc

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
You would be making a huge mistake if you bought anything other than this:

Wide tail for tight shreds. Channel your inner Ryan Burch riding a block of foam

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
lots of great options & suggestions here, thanks. that twinzer wtf & the davey skye skiff look esp. enticing. now i have MORE to think about instead of less...thanks :unsure:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I have a 5'6 Austin Mini simmons that I can and have run as a twin or quad.
It has literally replaced my JC quad fish, and I haven't looked back.
Glassed heavy, foiled rails, slight step deck, deep single out the back.
Shreddy ass View attachment 105798View attachment 105799Rocket ship.

We share the Atlantic in common, I'm up in RI. Surf it from points to beach, mushy to firing, thigh to sky high.
I'm out with the longboards no problem and with the quad set up- FCS Compressors - the drive down the line and section beating is criminal. View attachment 105800View attachment 105801
Thought he quit shaping to make pens?