First time snowboarding, where to go?

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Aloha,

At 38 years old in life, I have never been snowboarding and have only seen snow a few times in my life. My son who is born and raised in the Caribbean has never seen snow but loves to surf.

We are going to take a family trip to Colorado or Utah end of February or beginning of March.

Looking for a place where we can post up for five days and not have to go anywhere. Would prefer not to have to rent a car if possible but will consider if its a better way to go.

Not looking to break the bank at some posh resort but not stingy either.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, input you might have.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Get a half day lesson and be on your way. Go three days and by that time you've
got the hang of it or you are half dead. Or both. If you can get a deal and stay at Solitude for four days you'll never want to stop. You can get transportation to Solitude and not go anywhere. Brighton is the same deal and is just up the road.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Aloha,

At 38 years old in life, I have never been snowboarding and have only seen snow a few times in my life. My son who is born and raised in the Caribbean has never seen snow but loves to surf.

We are going to take a family trip to Colorado or Utah end of February or beginning of March.

Looking for a place where we can post up for five days and not have to go anywhere. Would prefer not to have to rent a car if possible but will consider if its a better way to go.

park city utah

easy in and out of the airport

resort is taxi car ride from terminal

mountain is YUGE...lots of terrain for all skill levels

can find places that are ski in/ski out

won't need car to get around

Denver...all the good resorts are big drives to get there, probably puts you
in to the price range of getting a rental when compared to car service

Utah is just generally easier all around.

alternative might be Whistler BC...there is a bus service to and from the mountain
with similar ski in/ski out options

I really don't think there's any airport that you can fly in to that is faster or more
convenient than SLC... LA, SF, SEA, PDX all pale in comparison...I don't know what
MT is like, but it's too fkn cold anyways and grizzly bears eat skiers for breakfast I hear

Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+1 Utah. Softest hard packed snow you can find for learning.

doesn’t need to be park city, as you’ll need a car no matter what, but PC has the most resort like cuteness.

if you skip PC there are many options staying in the valley if you’re interested in saving a buck but I think PC is the most beginner friendly.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Awesome! Thanks guys! PC seems like the call.
there are a lot of cool spots in Utah

Solitude is a fun mountain with a cute, albeit small village scene

you'll have tracked it all out within 2 to 3 days, but also worth considering

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Aloha,

Gear:
Spend the clothes money on thermal underwear, fancy snowsports socks, a nice fleecey mid, and the pants. Snowboarders, especially beginners, sit. You do NOT want to be doing that in jeans. Don't blow $450 on a jacket and use your ankle socks you wear with sneakers.

Program:
1. Take a lesson if you've never snowboarded. Don't even consider not doing this. Maybe try the combo lesson/beginner lift ticket deal - most places offer one.
2. You want to warm up your muscles and do something about them at the end of the day. You just rush it cold, then don't try to do anything afterward, day 2 or 3, you will be dead.
3. That is kind of later in the season. If you don't instantly take to it and start looking for powder stashes, and you're just working your edges on groomers, the cycle might be: freeze overnight, rock hard dawn patrol, cut and softening nicely in the afternoon. That softening groomer is better for learning. The rock hard refreeze BLOWS. Don't be in a rush for first chair on rock hard refreeze, eat sh!t until mid-morning, then be sore from exertion and mild injury. Chill and let it soften up if need be.

Zone:

IMHO don't straight up wed yourself to Colorado or Utah. Maybe Reno-Tahoe works well on the transportation and entertainment fronts. Maybe Jackson Hole is the easiest no car, plus the 49er Inn is "cheap" by ski standards. I went to Summit County (Copper, Keystone, Breck, A-Basin) once. Stayed in a hostel. Lift tickets for those places are probably $120 per person, per day. Throw in lodging, rental, and food.....

I like afoaf's pick of Park City. You might be able to swing that without a car, and it's not forever from SLC airport, and SLC is a Delta hub so that might limit connections.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
IMHO don't straight up wed yourself to Colorado or Utah. Maybe Reno-Tahoe works well on the transportation and entertainment fronts.
one thought about CA snow is Sierra Cement and learning do not go hand in hand.

harder to feel out edges on ice, heavier and wetter snow to move off the board, and harder pack to fall on and break your butt.

Reactions: Leaverite

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Skip anything too close to either SLC(park city) or Denver if you dont want to spend most of your time in lift lines. Anywhere near a big population center and on the epic or ikon pass is not what you want. Hit Telluride, easy connecting flight from dallas into montrose and an an hour ride from montrose to Telluride.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA

harder to feel out edges on ice, heavier and wetter snow to move off the board, and harder pack to fall on and break your butt.
more like Sierra hard pack right now. been a shitty year for CA snow, guess expected as it's La Nina.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal

If you're planning a trip, #1 priority is to go to an area that's had some significant snowfall so far this season. Snowboarding in fresh, soft snow is going to be a much better experience than trying to learn on refrozen, thin hardpack.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Mt. Bachelor has had a good amount of snowfall so far this year. Probably the closest bet for Californians. But then there's the whole Covid deal.... Reservations only. No walk ups allowed.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Colorado has had some avalanches that have made the news.... You all know how our winters go around here.

Feast or Famine.

We'll probably get 40" of rain and 200" of snowfall in a 48 hour period in late February....

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Lots of good suggestions here. I learned how to snowboard when I was 45 and definitely get a lesson. I tried doing it myself and boy, was that a mistake! Every single part of my body hurt the next day. Then my buddy Paco took me over to the absolute most bunny hill on Bachelor and taught me some of the basics--how to get on and off the lifts, etc. and I slowly started connecting turns and then it was on. But one thing not mentioned here is that you should start doing some exercises NOW...squats being number one, you'll be getting up from the snow a lot. Even situps help strenghten your core. You'll thank me later. Have fun!

Reactions: Kaido and Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Skiing for me..,,,

Scot Schmidt

Glen Plake<iframe width="545" height="409" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Lotsa Hawaiians like Big WHite in BC but I think its closed right now. Was a bummer because your dollar went a lot further there.

Reactions: Watervalley