Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Ran 5 miles today
within 2.5 miles counted

6 passenger vehicles being used as residences
3 people sleeping on the sidewalk
2 small squatter camps
3 large piles of trash left by the homeless.
One of those piles was in a zone that is experiencing a die off of least tern chicks due to predators (cats) drawn to the area...thanks to the vanlife crowd loves to park there and dump their trash despite the signs begging people not to dump trash due to endangered birds.

Park restrooms were unusable - they were packed with homeless who had their belongings spread out/draped all over the place.

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
How else does someone find a syringe under someone else's car seat?
He left the car open by accident last night. Discoverd it opened and checked around because it looked like someone had been in it. Found syringe and came and got me. I guess because he wanted someone to see this BS before he cleaned it out. It was disgusting. Typing on a phone. Probably not explaining things clearly enough for you.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
He left the car open by accident last night. Discoverd it opened and checked around because it looked like someone had been in it. Found syringe and came and got me. I guess because he wanted someone to see this BS before he cleaned it out. It was disgusting. Typing on a phone. Probably not explaining things clearly enough for you.
Did you guys split what was in the syringe or did your "buddy" hog it all?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Are you asking for a friend?

I grew up in LA county and I remember a few “hobo” camps as a kid and skid row but what I’m seeing posted here about the homeless problem trips me out.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
One reason is because it costs a lot more to build here than in many other states.

The median price for homes sold in the US is reported at $236k. The median price in California is $393k. Inasmuch as 12% of the U.S. population lives in CA the national median would be a bit lower if excluding our state's transactions.

The mortgage payment for a $236k purchase amounts to $1126/mo @ 4%/30yr. Right now we're on the high side of the current real estate cycle, which means in a few years that median price will drop.

Meanwhile, the average rental rate for a 1bd unit in beater condition in So Central Los Angeles is ~$1300/mo. The median 1bd rent in California is reported at $1,446 second in the nation only to D.C. at $1508. MA at $1328.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
One reason is because it costs a lot more to build here than in many other states.
This is the ironic elephant in the room with California. Most of the costs are because of laws and policies enacted and supported by Democrats. Combined with NIMBYism for new developments and corporations wanting to set up shop.

Then those same people turn around and complain that housing is so unaffordable and that there are so few career track employment options. I read somewhere that the California towns with the worst housing cost to income ratios were Santa Cruz, SLO and Santa Barbara. Notice some similarities between those 3 towns? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Obviously there are other factors such as excellent weather, lifestyle, geographic constraints, investment properties for ultra high earners, etc that also play a role. However the problem would not be nearly as bad if the cost to develop new housing was not so high. With this decade long bull run, you are finally starting to see some new developments come onto the market because the developers saw a potential for a ROI.

Just in time for the next downturn, which is already happening.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Regulation is one reason. Prop.13 is another. State and local gov't can't scale the property tax assessments to their respective revenue needs (aka spending). So they have to charge the infrastructure development costs to the developers up front.

If Prop 13 were eliminated outright the increase in annual property tax payments would basically force a lot of the long-time home owners out who are on fixed incomes because they wouldn't be able to afford the tax increase - they'd have to go elsewhere, some probably moving out of state. Some businesses (employment) would probably also leave. That one change at government would trigger a shtload of churn in the real estate markets.

If you bought 30 years ago and your property is currently assessed at $200k and the cumulative rate of your property tax assessment amounted to 1.5% that's $250/month. Meanwhile the value of the property in the market might be closer to $500k and instead of 1.5% the assessment rate could jump to 2+%. New Jersey is supposedly pushing 2.6% assessment rates due to the state spending. California could logically be expected to be at the top of the range when considering our spending and entitlements.

So now that same property owner isn't looking at $250/mo in property tax assessments. At 2.25% and $500k it's more like $1000/month. Some property owners living on fixed incomes will be unable to take that hit - they'll have to downsize.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

The median price for homes sold in the US is reported at $236k. The median price in California is $393k. Inasmuch as 12% of the U.S. population lives in CA the national median would be a bit lower if excluding our state's transactions.

The mortgage payment for a $236k purchase amounts to $1126/mo @ 4%/30yr. Right now we're on the high side of the current real estate cycle, which means in a few years that median price will drop.

Meanwhile, the average rental rate for a 1bd unit in beater condition in So Central Los Angeles is ~$1300/mo. The median 1bd rent in California is reported at $1,446 second in the nation only to D.C. at $1508. MA at $1328.
Property taxes kill you on a 400 k house

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Gotcha. Sounds like its gotten a lot worse there over the years.

Cities gotta get off their ass, say enough is enough, and do a permanent sweep and clear.
A homeless person needs to kill a civilian.

If the victim is a young, good looking white woman, all the better.

Then then people will take action.

A stich in time saves nine.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I've heard the concept that by giving them money you are enabling them. My take has always been most of them are frankly addicts/alcoholics. I believe that is born out by data. Last I heard it was something like 60%. Anyway, addicts or alcoholics aren't going to quit drugs or alcohol because they don't have enough money in their pocket. They will get the money. Whether they have to steal it, rob somebody, hurt somebody, burglarize, shop lift, whatever. They will do what it takes. It seems like the least destructive thing is for me to give them a few bucks. Hopefully they get what they need and nobody else gets hurt.

Last night I was talking with my father's caregiver. (dad fell) She told me a few weeks back there were at a 711 store late at night getting some coffee with their kids in the car. Her husband was coming out of the store when a guy hit him up for money. All he had in cash was two dollars, which he gave him. There was a lowrider car parked by them with a bunch of guys in it partying. Bong, bottle of tequila. Apparently one of them jumped out and started screaming at her husband for only giving the homeless guy two bucks. Her husband got punched, ran for the car then they started kicking the car. Kids in the back mind you. He started the car up and lit out. They followed them. It was a chase. Kids are screaming in terror.

All because he gave a guy two bucks. (there was a racial component to the whole thing I think) Some of the language used seemed to indicate such. Hispanic/black thing. But whatever. No good deed goes unpunished I suppose.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019

We had the Aloha Steak house stabbing not long ago. You can google it. Beachfront restaurant. A homeless guy started a thing with a guy at a table inside. Came in and stabbed him to death in the restaurant in front of his family. Children. After that the cops pushed a lot of them off the beach. Matter of fact they pushed them all over to the industrial area where my shop is. Sweep the problem under a less visible rug.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

That was already tried in SF. It was a trifecta mentally ill homeless illegal immigrant that killed a pretty young white girl and SF chose EMPATHEEEEEEE