First having a foiler in the line up.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
^^ agree. They are usually either so far out on the shoulder and ride un-breaking waves IDGAF. Better than out of control SUP or even a decent surfer learning a 10-12' glider with a light crowd.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Rarely from anyone who's connected 5 bottom turns with 5 nondirection changing rail gouges off the top on a walled up 3 meter freight train like I had this morning though.
:shameonyou::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shaka::waving:
Get on a foil and you'll be able to do that all the time. :) That's the appeal to me. It's regularly 2 foot and terrible here. I can hit the lip, attempt strapless airs, do multiple roundhouse cutbacks on every wave. It makes terrible waves high performance. When my choices are ride a foil on a peak all alone and have the time of my life, vs, ride a shortboard on the main peak with guys filming their next edit. I'll choose the foil every time. We do try to self police guys that are being jerks in the lineup btw. Same as kiting.

For the most part though it's a non-issue. Foil's aren't any more or less dangerous than any other surfboard. Some surfer's are more dangerous than others is what it comes down to for me. At least it's mainly competent surfer's who foil, so they should know what to do and what not to do.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
A couple. Most notable a guy at Flagler Pier. He linked it back around once or twice. Seemed like he knew what he was doing and thankfully that day there were waves to go around.

I saw some teens/20s messing with it at Monster Hole last time I was in Central Florida. Conditions looked shitty for it but they weren't around anyone so cheers.

Personally I'd rather have a leashless longboarder than one with a leash. I couldn't get a shortboard under a foil mast if my life depended on it but getting under a longboard with nobody on it is generally no worries. The leashless log might lose his sh!t and have to swim in and then punch back out.

I've taken some "risks" grabbing leashless boards in the soup for people who I didn't see do anything gonadbaggy. Like getting in front of a hard-hit ground ball on a shitty field. How's this sh!t gonna hop and which way?

Personally I think most of our waves suck for sh!t other than shortboard/bodyboard. The shoals at the inlets might be foil/sup/glider gold. Otherwise, it's generally short rides and short period and even the longer rides, it's often nothing like these unbroken ruler-edges pinwheeling around some kind of feature. You had to cut back here, hop in the wash there, tick-tack to the reform over yonder....

Reactions: Subway

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Personally I'd rather have a leashless longboarder than one with a leash. I couldn't get a shortboard under a foil mast if my life depended on it but getting under a longboard with nobody on it is generally no worries. The leashless log might lose his sh!t and have to swim in and then punch back out.
yeah, I agree with this. Maybe I'm biased because I almost always longboard leashless, but for a longboard to be moving with enough energy to really risk hurting someone that person is probably close enough to the logger that they'd be in leash-range anyway. It's better for the logger to know they have the responsibility to grab the board or avoid the person if that person fails to get out of the way. (Or it's big enough that I wouldn't be out on a log at all)

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
there used to be a sign at Makaha that said beware of loose boars.
my first time there i was reading it...and got hit by a loose boar.

:poke:

Reactions: Subway