First Flush. Filthy.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Water is putrid in IB. Brown AF. Signs up. Smells like a sewer. Another storm next week.

Little south coming Sunday. DMJ time.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I'm going to sit out a little longer. Thought about hitting Blacks or Mission tomorrow but 48 hours after the first flush man I'm skeert. Some pretty impressive rain totals inland. 3-4 inches in parts of the county. That's trickling down. I can't imagine how dirty the big jetty is in OB. Every time I'm in OB the amount of dog and human sh!t and other bodily fluids on sidewalks is insane. All the dog sh!t at Dog Beach too. Fuck.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I so want to take my groms out tomorrow as they've been amping lately...but it can't be healthy....at all.
Sunday I'm on in solo on the new DK keel fish!

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Still no rain up here this season yet. Really, really dry. PG&E was supposed to turn off the power in Santa Cruz county again this past Tuesday but cancelled at the last minute. The forecast is calling for rain next week on Tuesday and then off and on for 10 days.

Maybe there will be enough real snow in the Sierras to justify skiing by XMas.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Still no rain up here this season yet. Really, really dry. PG&E was supposed to turn off the power in Santa Cruz county again this past Tuesday but cancelled at the last minute. The forecast is calling for rain next week on Tuesday and then off and on for 10 days.

Maybe there will be enough real snow in the Sierras to justify skiing by XMas.
Only about 10 inches of rain and a couple huge swells and maybe a sandbar might pop up somewhere.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Gary, is the water dirty after the first rain of the season where you come from?

So bummed this storm didn't come after Thanksgiving break. Starting Friday I'm off 10 days. Already enough rain to flush the San Diego and Tijuana Rivers. Heaviest rain coming today and tonight. Maybe the 72 hour rule applies in SD but it does not in IB. No rain since June. Gonna be filthy. Guess, I'll be reducing some of my wine inventory.

Are you gonna charge it regardless?

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014
There were people out in MIssion Thursday am. I walked my dog and man I couldn’t breathe in some areas — the smell of garbage (or sewage?!) was overpowering, enough to make you choke.

This am, a normal # of surfers out. (Not me.) Waves did look mighty fun.

Tomorrow??? See how it looks in the am. (May be closeouts tho w a groundswell arriving)

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
fook that, I'm playing in the dirt this weekend.

My oldest brother is in town from Florida all week for Thanksgiving and wants to go bodysurf, he doesnt care if its cold, wants to try. Hahaha. I told him maybe Sunday at the earliest, but better next week.

We'll see how the rain stacks up around Thanksgiving. Supposed to happen. I'm fine with it, if it brings snow to the mountains.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
any actual numbers to support claims of how dirty it is? not doubting but would like some data to compare

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
its amazing what photos can do to make stuff look make-able.
Nice tightly framed shots on those sections makes it looks way better. When I lived there, we lived for those few days each winter. More close outs than shoulders by far and most swells close out a lot. But, the occasional 1 out of 10 made it worth the poundings.

You kind of have to live there to score, as the fickleness is off the charts for catching it "on" with shape. It's a bit off the beaten fwy path for the traveling LA/OC surfer, even though it's in the middle of millions of people. Not really worth the off- the-beaten drive most times. Cams have ruined the out of way fickle spots. I miss those barrels, now living in NCSD. O'side has it's moments and actually more consistent by far. Blacks is about my only solace and comparison, but it's SO crowded there when good.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
So bummed this storm didn't come after Thanksgiving break. Starting Friday I'm off 10 days. Already enough rain to flush the San Diego and Tijuana Rivers. Heaviest rain coming today and tonight. Maybe the 72 hour rule applies in SD but it does not in IB. No rain since June. Gonna be filthy. Guess, I'll be reducing some of my wine inventory.

Are you gonna charge it regardless?

I surfed IB for years after and during the rain. I was pretty diehard. The water would be orange, steaming, and felt like syrup running off of your skin. Luckily I never got sick. It was always 5 degrees warmer haha.

I wouldn't do it now that I have kids. But man...some of those poo barrels will be forever etched in my memory.

Reactions: ElOgro

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
When you say "north end" I think you're saying even closer to my old stomp. I take it you don't mean north end So Bay, like El Porto? Those shots could look like there, but the elevation angle kind of says different.
it was best just north of the lot...they could have been shot from up
on the bike path

the angle and sand elsewhere was a mixed bag

outfalls blew out around there so some sand has been pushed out
in to the lineup which will help things going forward

need sustained swell and flatter tides to really groom the bottom
properly

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
it was best just north of the lot...they could have been shot from up
on the bike path

the angle and sand elsewhere was a mixed bag

outfalls blew out around there so some sand has been pushed out
in to the lineup which will help things going forward

need sustained swell and flatter tides to really groom the bottom
properly
If you click on the pic, it will tell a different story. I've said to much already.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I know for sure where one of the photographers took his pics and it’s not where you’re saying surfdog. not that anything you’re saying is not true.

mostly, I’m upset that the pics were in insta and Surfline feature within hours of it happening. Like I said it’s already a zoo.

the other spot hasn’t been completely overran, for all the reasons surfdog said