First Flush. Filthy.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
So bummed this storm didn't come after Thanksgiving break. Starting Friday I'm off 10 days. Already enough rain to flush the San Diego and Tijuana Rivers. Heaviest rain coming today and tonight. Maybe the 72 hour rule applies in SD but it does not in IB. No rain since June. Gonna be filthy. Guess, I'll be reducing some of my wine inventory.

Are you gonna charge it regardless?

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I surfed during a heavy rain in seal beach many years ago on a trip. Water had particles so big it felt like paddling through soup and there was like 5 headless ducks on the beach. Got sick for a week after. never again.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I surfed during a heavy rain in seal beach many years ago on a trip. Water had particles so big it felt like paddling through soup and there was like 5 headless ducks on the beach. Got sick for a week after. never again.
I grew up going out after rains there. Got a couple of exotic rashes. Diarrhea a couple times. In the end I think it did wonders for the immune system lol

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
After my near brush with death from meningitis from surfing polluted IB, I'm more careful.

• Wow
Reactions: LBInjSurfer

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I'm not as cautious as I was years ago around town but I don't mess with IB. I actually put in a lot of days there this summer and fall but you probably won't see me there until spring, unless there's a pretty large gap between rain events.

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
U can thank dirty Mexico for the doo doo in the water.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My friend will call me to surf after the rain and I say, What about the rain?

He's like Wut?

I remember there this green run off, like antifreeze, and it made my whole body have an allergic reaction.

Some kind chemical.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I surfed in between storms there last winter and got an ear infection that kept me out of the water between January and March

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Made it a point to surf yesterday morning because I knew this was going to be a yucky next week.

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
A guy I work with took up SUP last year and did not heed my warnings about Coronado being as dirty as IB after rain. Recurring sinus infection. An ear infection so gnarly, he is partially deaf in that ear now. He has quit SUP completely now.

Reactions: _____

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
1)The interesting thing is how the water in IB can test clean when you can still smell all the jacuzzi pipe water coming up from San Antonio.

2)I've had pretty bad chemical sort of rashes after surfing Baja Malibu.

I don't know if 1 and 2 are good signs about the infection potential from either place.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Hoping to paddle out Saturday. Should be some swell. 72 hours is hopefully enough. I've been toting a cold around the last week and a half but isn't in sinuses at all so that's good. There will be many kleenex rattails shoved up each nostril to drain as much of the sinuses as possible. This is highly effective by the way in preventing sinus infections - just don't do this around the squeamish.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
A guy I work with took up SUP last year and did not heed my warnings about Coronado being as dirty as IB after rain. Recurring sinus infection. An ear infection so gnarly, he is partially deaf in that ear now. He has quit SUP completely now.
Good.

Reactions: rts265

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Hoping to paddle out Saturday. Should be some swell. 72 hours is hopefully enough. I've been toting a cold around the last week and a half but isn't in sinuses at all so that's good. There will be many kleenex rattails shoved up each nostril to drain as much of the sinuses as possible. This is highly effective by the way in preventing sinus infections - just don't do this around the squeamish.
ill advised....

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I surfed Star Bar back in the 90s and got super sick. Hospital for 2 days sick.

Surfed a couple river mouths in mainland Mexico after a tropical storm had hit. There were dead burros in the water. My white rash guard was brown by the end of the trip. Ate street tacos the time and the place we stayed at was using the pool water for cooking (couldn’t get the regular water trucked in because of road being washed out.

Never got even a little sick.