First Day of recreational MJ sales in CA

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Witchipoo said:
Mr Doof said:
You may want to look into tinctures that have a bit higher level of quality control for the CBD/THC ratio. Plus it is easier to scale dose. Further advise you get a medical card (shouldn't be tough with your obvious chemo hair and port) so you can save some money.

If I can find this for a dispensary here in SF in a two minute search, am sure you can find it there in LA.

Do your lungs and liver a favor and don't smoke...since you don't want to get high, you don't really need the fast/rush dose effect (that piping stuff into your lungs will get you).
But is taking one or two hits a day really going to make that much difference? And I don't really know anything about tinctures. Wouldn't it be trickier to get the dosage right?
I suppose a few disclaimers in in order.

1 I am not a doctor or pharmacologist
2 I don't like smoking of any sort
3 I am not a practitioner of the cannabis arts but who doesn't know something about them
4 I try to be logical while I know that I fail at being logical because I am not Vulcan
5 I prefer surfing to working, though some might think where I surf sounds like hard work
6 I don't know that the "healthful" part of cannabis is the CBD fraction, though certainly for some with seizures it is, I just know the "high" part of cannabis is the THC fraction.
7 I sure wish there were some good science on cannabis and I am glad it has been decriminalized at least on the state level here in California.

If you want to get high, get high. Your body, your life, and all that. Heck, anyone facing/going through cancer treatment would be a little bonkers if they didn't want some escape or extra coping help. Some MJ probably on par with loading up on helper prescription mood alteration yet with less addictive properties. I'd take red eyes over "joint pain and increased risk of suicide" any day.

If you don't want to get high but do want the 'healthful CBDs', your safer bet would be obtaining refined oils and ingesting them orally. Why is it safer? Because smoking is bad for your lungs. Lungs want nice clean air with very little particulate matter...when you breathe in smoke, well, you are filling up your lungs with tiny particles that can get into your bloodstream. Particles in you bloodstream makes your blood thick. Thick blood is no bueno. And vaping might lead to 'popcorn lung'....google it.

Sure, sure, a bong rip a day isn't gonna kill you, but every smoker is fooling themselves that harm isn't being done. Smoking/vaping puts a whole lot of variable combustion products in your tender juicy parts, and yeah, the human body that has a good diet, enough sleep and exercise, and has a good frame of mind can cope and probably does cope reasonably well with smoking, but all things being the same, the person not smoking will have a lower incidence of health related problems.

Dose wise, why would 5-15 drops be less precise than a hit or two a day? Gravity and a slow squeeze on a eye dropper produced some startlingly accurate measurements back in my lab days. 26 drops from my pipette would pretty much always give me 1 ml of water, only my shaky hand would change things. Besides, a pinch or two of vegetative matter in a bong can no way deliver precise dose because of the nature of plant life....every bud or part of a bud will not 100% equal another. Life is not uniform like that. Heck, just look at two apples from the same branch.

See, if you get a whole bunch of cannabis (or hemp if you just want the CBD oil..you can buy CBD oil from health food stores here in SF, no reason can't do that in LA), extract the goodies from it, then fractionally distill what you want to a higher purity, then dilute that to the level you want (just like they do with 80 proof booze), you are controlling for variability to a much higher degree and can sell extracts/tinctures at known ratios of CBD:THC.

Regarding tinctures...you put the drops in your mouth, swish it around for a minute or three so it can absorb through the mucus membranes, and swallow. I suppose the make-up of these tinctures is X% CBD/THC , Y% glycerin or coconut oil, Z% terpenes, and WTF% other (again you can buy the 100% CBD extract from hemp from the better health food stores...at least here in SF). I am sure you could find alcohol free extract if you looked.

Heck, let me check that myself, see if my imagination is getting away from me.... Well that was easy. And another.
THC and alcohol free (well, .02% THC for one of them).

Sober living is tough in the face of cancer and cancer treatment, and you know, in such a situation, I am not sure a hit or 10 a day invalidates sobriety, though I know some sober people would disagree with my laissez-faire viewpoint. Still, I figure a person putting poison in the body to kill cancer just would want to minimize the additional injury/harm that any other substances could induce.

Anyway, your typing looks like you're doing ok. How goes the treatment as you get further down the process? Do you have a surgery date yet? Or is there radiation treatment yet to go through?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Witchipoo said:
So, serious question for you connoisseurs out there: Is there a pure Indica strain with a high CBD to THC ratio that will just mellow me out and put me to sleep, with none of the anxiety/paranoia bullshit that made me hate pot in the first place? I'm basically looking to the closest thing to opium or Xanax. :roflmao:
to answer your question directly withchipoo...

yes there are many strains that do exactly what you are loooking for witchipoo.

you need a strain that is pure indica for that, and i would start with something with high cbd and a lower thc level.

on another note tho:

been consuming cannabis for over 40 years on a daily basis for pain, and to get high too.

got run over by a car at 13, amongst many other heavy body trauma accidents..... if i had taken all the painkillers i've been handed/rx'd by drs i would be dead by now without a doubt. cannabis works, with much less damage than pharmaceutical pills FOR ME. not all humans are the same though, thank goodness.

one last thing about thc contents...

a trend i fail to understand is this whole % of thc to be a consideration of quality of the product being consumed.

i guess if you buy your wines and beers strictly by the degree of alcohol, then this would make sense.... but if you are like the rest of the world and prefer wine with a cork from a glass bottle, not from a tetra bric with a plastic twist off top, then the percentage of thc should be close to the bottom in your choice of "medicine".

but then, i guess if you are the old 40 gangsta G type and you only slug malt liqour cause it's cheaper and "does the job faster".... then by all means, pick your buds by thc percentage.

p.s. you can get concentrate extracts that are 100% pure cannabis with no alcohol nor other solvents.... just ask about rosin if that interests you.

i am with mr. doof in that you should probably try for some type of delivery method which avoids smoke.... if you are a smoker though and that is your preferred method, at least give vaporizing a try first. it is much cleaner for your lungs and less abrasive to your throat and mouth.

personally, i will only vaporize fresh pressed rosin, pressed from my own homegrown flowers. it is the only way to assure the product used is absolutely free of any impurities.

organically sun grown flowers, using ph corrected well rested water, untreated soil, no additives pesticides nor programmed growth controlling agents of any kind.... just the plant, the way it grows in nature. harvested at the correct lunar cycle, dried to the correct humidity, cured to enhance the natural sugars, aromas and terpenes. then pressed with only heat and pressure, at above 220* F to decarboxilate and clean the final product.

it's a lot of work, but personally it beats pharmacueticals hands down.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
California is in the process of erasing prior marijuana related offenses off of citizen records FYI.

A current report.

I had a visit in May, extremely good quality, sold as an 1/8th in a plastic film container.

July 1st. Everything now has to be lab tested, certified and labeled.

The new containers are now little glass jars or vacuum packed, resealable plastic pouches like cheese, lunchmeat. :dancing:

No decrease in quality. It is top shelf.

This is becoming a huge business locally.

To grow commercially in SC county you need to have a minimum of 5 acres. A property of 20 acres just sold recently next to where I own property for 2.5 million, cash.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
leavrite, this is NOT becoming big business... this HAS ALWAYS BEEN CALIFORNIAS NUMBER ONE BUSINESS.

it is just becoming "above ground, taxxed and regulated", but it has aleays been there.

no doubt the growth is-will be dumbfounding with all the nancy watched weeds single moms getting into the racket, but there's been grows all over your neck of the woods for decades, not to mention the emerald triangle further north, the mecca, after the himalayan valleys, for global cannabis cultivation.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
it is the children of the children of the children of those who first sent people seed hunting around the globe who are now positioned to become kingpins.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Harvest for the last three plants is this weekend. Grown from seed, each plant looks and smells a little different, and the shortest widest deepest green one has the most worthy buds. Friend down the street had his plants go hermaphrodite on him. He'll be wading through seeds for days.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Funny incident last week while we were camping down in Big Sur. One of the older rock hound guys that we had seen jade hunting for the past few days walked up to us and gave us most of an eighth of "Mendo Breath". 26% THC, "the good sh!t".

Turned out he was visiting from Tennessee, bought way more of da kine than he could smoke and couldn't take it home with him on the plane!!! :smokin:

First thing he said he did after getting off his flight in LAX and picking up his rental car was to stop at a dispensary in Santa Barbara on his way north.

Weed tourism.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Mr Doof said:
I think I'll I try growing some for fun and give away any successes.
Well that was easy, the growing I mean.

Giving away the crop is proving more fun than handing out excess limes, lemons, apples, green beans, or oyster mushrooms...people don't seem to respond nearly so well to my excellent Blue Lake green beans.

Been given thumbs-up on quality/potency from cancer survivor, former dance teacher, office drone, former punkrock keyboard/singer, and Oaksterdam native.

If only my plumeria grew as easily.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Q_Surf said:
doesn't CA mandate they disclose all ingredients? like i said, it's all tightly reg'd up here.
The rules tightened up this summer.

New rules are here.

LABORATORY TESTING REQUIREMENTS:

Beginning July 1, 2018, a licensee may only sell cannabis goods that have been tested and passed all testing requirements in effect at the time of testing.

Untested cannabis goods cannot be sold by a retailer and must be destroyed. A retailer may not send cannabis goods to a distributor for testing.
Untested cannabis goods manufactured or harvested before January 1, 2018, in possession of a distributor that are owned by the distributor must be destroyed.
Untested cannabis goods manufactured or harvested before January 1, 2018, in the possession of a distributor owned by a manufacturer or cultivator may be returned to the licensee who owns the cannabis goods. If a cultivator or manufacturer chooses to sell the returned cannabis goods, the cannabis goods must be sent to a distributor for testing and must meet all of the testing requirements in effect at the time of testing before transported to a retailer for sale.
PACKAGING AND LABELING REQUIREMENTS:

Beginning July 1, 2018, all packaging and labeling must be performed prior to cannabis goods being transported to a retailer.

A retailer shall not accept cannabis goods that are not properly packaged and labeled. A retailer shall not package or label cannabis goods, even if the cannabis goods were in inventory before July 1, 2018. However, for medicinal sales, retailers will place a sticker on cannabis goods stating, “FOR MEDICAL USE ONLY” upon sale to a qualified medicinal consumer, unless the statement is already printed on the package.
A retailer may not send unpackaged cannabis goods to another licensee for packaging or labeling. Cannabis goods in possession of a retailer that do not meet packaging and labeling requirements must be destroyed.
Exit packaging is not required to be child-resistant and can no longer be used to satisfy the child-resistant packaging requirements. All cannabis goods must be in child-resistant packaging prior to delivery to a retailer.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
funny before the new rules went into place A TON of dispensaries had huge sales.

Because they had sh!t they couldnt sell after the new laws went into place...

I have been saying it for a while ... know where you are getting your weed.

I would be most concerned about pesticides concentrated in extracts and mold.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
santacruzin said:
funny before the new rules went into place A TON of dispensaries had huge sales.

Because they had sh!t they couldnt sell after the new laws went into place...

I have been saying it for a while ... know where you are getting your weed.

I would be most concerned about pesticides concentrated in extracts and mold.
That was a good sale.

All the edibles max out at 100 mg per package now, the fiends. Prices went up on them too. I still like getting $30 eighths. The price drop for weed since legalization has been kind.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Mr Doof said:
Mr Doof said:
I think I'll I try growing some for fun and give away any successes.
Well that was easy, the growing I mean.

Giving away the crop is proving more fun than handing out excess limes, lemons, apples, green beans, or oyster mushrooms...people don't seem to respond nearly so well to my excellent Blue Lake green beans.

Been given thumbs-up on quality/potency from cancer survivor, former dance teacher, office drone, former punkrock keyboard/singer, and Oaksterdam native.

If only my plumeria grew as easily.
Doof's a stoner!

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
been pressing my own flores for over a year now...

rosin is nice.

newfound appreciation for early picked flowers thanks to this new mode of consumption.

much clearer final product, entirely different bouqet and effects/affects.

wonderful wonderful plant!

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
There still is a method to the madness and it comes with experience.

I bought an eighth of this "Purple Punch" variety. It looked good, nice buds, frosty. It smelled good.

But absolutely no taste/flavor whatsoever. Actually tasted like hay/straw.

There is an art to growing the really good stuff and all of the fancy facilities/equipment isn't worth a damn if you cannot produce a truly, quality product.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
SurfFuerte said:
been pressing my own flores for over a year now...

rosin is nice.

newfound appreciation for early picked flowers thanks to this new mode of consumption.

much clearer final product, entirely different bouqet and effects/affects.

wonderful wonderful plant!
Maybe it is time to investigate moss from Switzerland.