Firewire cancels FCS

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Futures and FCS are modern times ...lost vs Merick
system wise, I cant see why would anyone use futures when you need a screw. screwless systems are far more convenient for surfers.
I am not talking about the fins just the crewless systems vs with screws system in general
proper disclosure: I ride ...lost and use FCS II :LOL:
I think this is why I believe a board should come with fins "rec" or have a certain set up so you can put on and forget "unless you travel" but only pop out with fins is wavestorm and fireturds are more advanced:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I dropped FCS for Futures a few years back just because most of my off the rack boards started coming with Futures. The fins seem like they are of better quality and I've never had a box blow out like I did with FCS plugs.

The FCS 2 thing was just a reaction to them loosing their patent on the original plugs. Using a tool is actually easier than slicing your hand up trying to pop out a set of FCS 2s. I don't think I'd put a set of expensive fins in FCS without the grub screws anyway so they offer zero advantage.

I think the pinnacle of FCS technology was their fusion plugs.

austard

Michael Peterson status
Nov 12, 2009
State of Grace
Could FW be planning a hostile corporate take over of FCS???

high density foam inserts can help stop plug blow outs.

Also if you buy knock off fcs plugs make sure the grub screws are stainless steel and possibly marine grade if you can determine that.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
if you dudes are worried about boards yellowing, xtr or poly, just have them sprayed white before glassing. I dunno why people aren't more on that. I've been doing that for years and I don't remember the last time I had a board yellow.
paint em and they always look better

Mar 7, 2018
Still think that FCS not encouraging an ecosystem of aftermarket fins does harm to their business

agree so many different futures box suppliers out there.
not all good though....
follow the money - box or fins?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Could FW be planning a hostile corporate take over of FCS???

Also if you buy knock off fcs plugs make sure the grub screws are stainless steel and possibly marine grade if you can determine that.
Prediction for Spring '23 fireturds well be stoked on costco shelves right next to the lopez wavestorm:shaka:

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: ReForest and SD_Dan

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Fwiw, anyone who does machine (cnc) work knows, China crushes domestic capabilities leveraging their cheap wages.

they’ll run their machine shops 24/7 and come out with better precision for less cost to the customer than any domestic outfit.

it’s impressive what they can do. I highly doubt machine cutting fin boxes is something that is hard for them to pull off. they’re happy to produce scrap and run the machine 10x than domestic options to finally yield the parts as ordered.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Fwiw, anyone who does machine (cnc) work knows, China crushes domestic capabilities leveraging their cheap wages.

they’ll run their machine shops 24/7 and come out with better precision for less cost to the customer than any domestic outfit.

it’s impressive what they can do. I highly doubt machine cutting fin boxes is something that is hard for them to pull off. they’re happy to produce scrap and run the machine 10x than domestic options to finally yield the parts as ordered.
Firewire publicly announced that they are moving to all futures boxes, so I doubt they will undercut them and use generic chinese made boxes.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I don't know, I somehow kneed the deck of the Revo the other day, right on the I-Beam, and it dented as though there was no difference in density with the surrounding foam. I guess that's what you would expect though it looked funny at first.

Reactions: ReForest

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Firewire publicly announced that they are moving to all futures boxes, so I doubt they will undercut them and use generic chinese made boxes.
My post was in regard to cutting the blank with the boxes routed in one shot.

China can will and probably has knocked off all of futures tooling, fins and boxes - if they want to.

They kind of do what they want with IP and thats a risk US firms will evaluate if wanting chinese machine work.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I remember being in Costco about a year or two ago and watching a couple, I would guess in their mid 30s, put a couple of wavestorms in their cart on what looked like an impulse buy. Cheap enough for an impulse buy and a high probability that a lot of foam will soon end up in a landfill.

1663357397332.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
My post was in regard to cutting the blank with the boxes routed in one shot.

China can will and probably has knocked off all of futures tooling, fins and boxes - if they want to.

They kind of do what they want with IP and thats a risk US firms will evaluate if wanting chinese machine work.
Oh I gotcha. My mistake.

Reactions: MathDebater