Firewire cancels FCS

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
@ReForest did you ever have a xtr tomo to compare to fireturd tech:shrug:Still money wise and durability put fireturd tech up with CI spinetech and what ever lost calls it not worth the price but a least you have a choice and still go pu/pe for the win if you want a certain model or make:foreheadslap: dark arts to me sounds intetesting but not convinced for flex ratio compared to other but yes durability looks good but same can be said about surftech which I would never use as well.
That is a Tomo Hydronaught in XTR in my profile pic - great board and I use it as a step up in serious waves. I like FW a lot but the xtr has a bit more weight maybe, won't absorb water and thus far has stayed whiter.
FCS2 of course !

Reactions: jkb and ReForest

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I suppose if you’re going to exploit the third world you might as well go whole-hog.
I don't think the somewhat outdated "third world" term is accurate to describe Taiwan. They have per capita income's and standards of living that are more on par with many euro countries. Life expectancy is higher than the USA (but at this point, who's isn't..) and so on.

That was kind of my point in my previous post. Asia is not a monolith and much of it is not poor and undeveloped which is what I'm assuming you meant by third world and not the classic cold war definition of third world which if I recall means everyone not aligned with USA/Europe (first world) or China/Russia (2nd world).

Jul 12, 2012
I think the biggest advantage is the boxes don’t have to be adjusted for cant. I didn’t know that cant was built into the fin box for FCS. That would eliminate a huge process of aligning all the fin boxes during production. If futures don’t have any cant you can simply blow and go, and cut that whole process out and streamline the boards and get them finished quicker.
There is no installation advantage. Both futures and FCS boxes need to be adjusted when installed by using dummy fins and an angle guide. Even on a flat bottomed, leveled board, it would be unwise to install a 0degree cant box without checking the cant. Also shimming the jig to level it during routing so the box could potentially sit at the right cant takes time too. No huge process is being eliminated.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I don't think the somewhat outdated "third world" term is accurate to describe Taiwan. They have per capita income's and standards of living that are more on par with many euro countries. Life expectancy is higher than the USA (but at this point, who's isn't..) and so on.

That was kind of my point in my previous post. Asia is not a monolith and much of it is not poor and undeveloped which is what I'm assuming you meant by third world and not the classic cold war definition of third world which if I recall means everyone not aligned with USA/Europe (first world) or China/Russia (2nd world).
How about Thailand, now that we’re so interested in facts and accuracies?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
There is no installation advantage. Both futures and FCS boxes need to be adjusted when installed by using dummy fins and an angle guide. Even on a flat bottomed, leveled board, it would be unwise to install a 0degree cant box without checking the cant. Also shimming the jig to level it during routing so the box could potentially sit at the right cant takes time too. No huge process is being eliminated.
Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: PhlBmn

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

FYI the more modern term used to refer to developing countries is "turd world".

Reactions: rowjimmytour

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Your choice but the facts are wrong, if that matters at all to the brand fashion police. For example, I have a Mid6 that costs $1k, and the closest equivalent CI in PU is the CI Mid which is priced at $1155. Add another hundred or two for channels and fin boxes. The Mid6 has Thunderbolt construction, which is light and strong with good flex, and has a coating so it won't yellow. It's relatively bulletproof compared to CI ultra light construction.

There is no comparison in performance, price, or durability. With CI you're paying extra for the brand name.
LOL buying a surfboard should be easy

PU

4x4x4
or
4x4x6

When it's not in the water keep it in a board bag. Keep it out of the heat. Don't keep it in your hot car.

Pretty simple. Works. Well.

All this tech mumbo jumbo amounts to dumb gimmicks.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
LOL buying a surfboard should be easy

PU

4x4x4
or
4x4x6

When it's not in the water keep it in a board bag. Keep it out of the heat. Don't keep it in your hot car.

Pretty simple. Works. Well.

All this tech mumbo jumbo amounts to dumb gimmicks.
Did you even read what I wrote? Not that it matters.

Reactions: ReForest

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
if you dudes are worried about boards yellowing, xtr or poly, just have them sprayed white before glassing. I dunno why people aren't more on that. I've been doing that for years and I don't remember the last time I had a board yellow.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Doing the volume FW does I would guess they use a jig that hold the angles to eliminate the human element........or they just slap them in and move on. These boards are not made with the care you or I would put into them. They are basically factory pop outs.

gkatz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 12, 2008
Futures and FCS are modern times ...lost vs Merick
system wise, I cant see why would anyone use futures when you need a screw. screwless systems are far more convenient for surfers.
I am not talking about the fins just the crewless systems vs with screws system in general
proper disclosure: I ride ...lost and use FCS II :LOL:

Reactions: JDJ