Firewire cancels FCS

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Dark Arts is an EPS blank carbon wrapped and vacuumed.

The new iBolic is an EPS blank with High Density ("HD") foam all around the rails, then HD foam down the middle of the board (basically a HD foam skeleton) then a multiple deckskins on top and vacuum sealed.

It's a solid build! If you built a Firewire here in the US, I guarantee it would be a $1,500 or more surfboard. That's premium for sure.
I admire your commitment to the bit.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Dark Arts is an EPS blank carbon wrapped and vacuumed.

The new iBolic is an EPS blank with High Density ("HD") foam all around the rails, then HD foam down the middle of the board (basically a HD foam skeleton) then a multiple deckskins on top and vacuum sealed.

It's a solid build! If you built a Firewire here in the US, I guarantee it would be a $1,500 or more surfboard. That's premium for sure.
And with all that, they still can't manage to adhere their fin boxes to the blanks...

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
I don't care for Future's rear trailer options. I like their Thruster/fronts better though. FCS has a million fins right around one size/sweep range, but nothing big and swept.

Also don't like the Futures have to be cutaways if they're keels, they are kind of a pain in the ass to get in/out sometimes, and FCS2 likewise a pain in the ass sometimes.

FCS fusion boxes and them signing Jordy and releasing two tab Jordy larges would be swell.
Does Future's even make any flat rears beyond the QD2?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Have you tried the Fins Unlimited S#2 gun/step up set? Fiberglass and fcs two tabs.
Yeah, I've ridden that template quite a bit but it's honestly not my favorite. I much prefer the EA control quads and now the Padillac quads. For mid-size guns (7-footers) I like to mix and match because sometimes you want a bigger front fin for drive and sometimes you want something smaller like the EA quads.

Either way, I don't want to be messing with grub screws in FCS2 fin boxes and I don't really ever want FCS2 fin boxes for that matter in guns because Futures is just that much better for anything step up and beyond.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
That seems like a bad business decision to me, but wtf do I know about building surfboards?!
Bummer though, because if I ever do buy something from them, almost all of my fins are Fcs.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Might be too complex but I'm curious if FW has some sort of machine that can route the boxes.
I'm not sure exactly what FW's manufacturing process is but in a mass production setting where you are computer cutting many boards of the same model either FCS or Futures could easily be set up as a stage of the cutting system to eliminate a separate human process.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
This is a great decision for FW.

It will reduce costs on their side.

Their target market DGAF about fins.

Might be too complex but I'm curious if FW has some sort of machine that can route the boxes.
FCS announced removing screw holes at one point so without FCS2 license, no bueno for 50% of board sales.

Cost of landing a container, inflation, and interest rates can have a huge impact on their biz model, more than domestic production.

Mark, Kelly and Forrest drive the customer base

Google is close to sentient so some lines of fin box code isn't that big of a deal. Although they probably pay only USD 50 cents to 2 bucks/ board to route by hand. Doesn't seem much until you multiply that by 50 K boards per year and possibly reach greater accuracy at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern_Shores