Fins for New Shorty

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Gday Guys,

I'm going to get a new board next week for the first time in years. I don't know much about fins and am looking for some fin recommendations.

I've narrowed my board search down to a Chilli Oh One, Stacey Machine Head (most likely) or DHD Skeleton Key 2. Looking for an everyday shortboard that will sit above my groveller and handle punchier good conditions on the East Coast of Oz as well as mushier stuff when needed.

I was wondering whether if I could get 2 sets of fins to change the board up as needed. One set for generating speed and a looser feel when its small or surfing points and a stable set for pulling into punchy beach break barrels.

Should I go FCS2 or Futures if I get the choice?

Me:
~80kgs or 175-180 lbs

Thanks for any help!

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
Depending on how loose you want it to feel I'd say go with medium sized fins unless you are truly a power surfer.

For stadard everyday/ smaller days I like a more upright fin, usually with a slightly smaller trailer and fins with more rake for the bigger days.

Whichever board you end up getting it doesn't hurt to ask the shaper their opinion too.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I'm mostly an FCS guy, so I'll say FCS.

I think I'm in the minority, but I like the standard old FCS M5 or M7. I'm a similar weight to you, and I generally take the 5, going for 7'a on smaller wider boards.

If I want to loosen a board I put sf4 quad fronts up front and use an M5 trailer. The SF4 fronts are toed in on the tabs a little extra and fairly short, with a wide base and a savage camber. When they fit the board it's hard to beat them. To get a full thruster set in Aus though you have to buy the 5fin set.

K2.1 would be good for the loose option too..

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Futures always for me, only time I've gotten FCS was on used boards. Always thought the futures base seemed the most solid. It's a pretty tried and true design at this point. Look how little futures has had to change the design (other than color have they?) where FCS is constantly trying to update and improve. Futures boxes just work, and they're simple and strong. It doesn't take a rocket scientist when looking at both bases to know which one will fail first.

My two favorite fins right now would have to be YU's (with AM1's as a close second) which feel looser and EAs which feel like more drive. I kind of go back and forth between the YU's and AM1's but EA's in glass have been a staple for me for a long time now. Generally I'm using the EA's in hollower better surf, and the AM1's and YU's in smaller more everyday surf. But I've had great sessions on all three sets in pretty much all conditions. You weigh a little more than me so you might want AM2's, not sure what the equivalent of the others would be.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm about your weight (175lb.) but I'm 6'3" tall (190.5cm). The L size AM template (avail in both fcs2 and futures) is a favorite for lined up surf.

For beachbreak conditions I really like the FCS2 M Accelerator. Also available in Futures base as the Gorilla Machete. They are a slightly larger medium fin in a pretty balanced overall template.

Both brands have inside foiled side fin options for supposed speed generating benefits. So far most of those have been hit or miss for me but I know some people really dig em.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
For FCS 2 I'd get a set of accelerators and either AM's or MF's. The performance glass carver is really good option too. That will get you a very good neutral fin (accelerator) and a more carvy option (the others)

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
For FCS2 I'm a fan of Reactors for tight turns and MF fins for longer arcs. AM fins have a similar rake to MF fins except they sit a hair forward of the MFs, have a narrower tip, and a smaller center fin. I put a smaller PC2 center fin in with MF fronts and it works well.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for your input guys.

If I end up with FCS I'll go a set of Accelerators and MFs or AMs.

Whats the equivalent of these ones for futures?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
5 boxes is a great plan. go quad for generating speed, thruster for the punchy stuff, never have to change (or buy) different front fins