Financial advisor???

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Buy S&P 500 ETF, Dow Jones ETF and NASDAQ ETF. Forget about them and thank me in 30 years.
You will get clobbered a few times down the road, but nothing can beat that stuff over time. Bonds are a waste of money unless you have $100mill and the interest is enough to keep you going.

Having money in the bank is so bad it should be illegal to have more than $1000 deposited at any time. I.e my mother. She has saved her money for her entire working life in the bank. Recently she said "I want to buy a cabin", then checks the price of one in the area she wants. It's $340k. Oh sh!t. No cabin then. If she had put her money in the stock market she probably could have bought two. After 30 years of stashing money in the bank and getting clowned with 0,5% interest it's too late for that.

Last edited:

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Can you advise on what the good tools are?

It seems most of the education tools out there are either YouTube videos, bloggers, or people wanting to sell products.

I'm 36 so guessing I have another 30 years before I would touch my retirement income.

However, not sure if I see myself living in my current location - or any city - 10 years out as development is exploding in my area and the zoning changes are set to make this place look like the East Coast.

What about getting hosed on fees?

I had something called Euro Pacific Growth Fund.

That fucking thing made something like $250 over 10 years cause the fees were like $50/yr. Thank god it wasn't my money. I cashed it out and used it for a deposit on a board.

Kahn Academy is good as are some of the investment houses: Fidelity or Vanguard will provide educational tools.

30 years is plenty long to be as aggressive as you want/are comfortable with, you should/would at least annually review that and adjust accordingly.
-rule of thumb, money roughly doubles every 7 years at a 10% return, which is pretty much the expected historical return of a relatively aggressive diversified investment strategy.

-so in theory you could have ~ 4 doubles; if you remain invested and don't panic and sell
100k now is 200k in 7 years
200k is 400k in another 7 years
400k is 800k in another 7 years
800k is 1.6mil in another 7 years

Fees are fees, definitely look for lower(set) cost options but no one can trade for free.
-I doubt the fees on Euro Pacific Fund alone caused the underperformance, more likely fund management and just underperformance of that region. Funds are bound by their investment prospectus to invest in what they say they are going to invest in. So a Euro/Pac fund manager can't be buying U.S. Equities if his investment mandates does not let him/her.

What is your asset allocation in you 403b?
-meaning what % stock/bonds do you have and what funds do you own? Are you happy with that/comfortable?

A couple of funds that have good track records and that are relatively conservative, meaning the stock to bond mix is not the most aggressive are FPURX and FBALX.
-looking at timeframe alone, kind of conservative for 30 years.
-but always want to consider appetite for risk.

Now I am just mentioning those two funds that are kind of 4 wheel drive vehicles, maybe not be the right ones for you but you can look them over and see how they have performed:
-you'll see had you been invested in the S&P 500 over the 10 year time frame vs. those funds you would have outperformed the fund(s), but the ups and downs would have been greater. So some people maybe would have bailed and gone to cash, so the stock to bond mix looks to alleviate the downside, knowing that you may give up some upside; with a higher likelyhood of selling and missing out on the upside.
-after all the U.S. equity market goes up ~ 70% of the time, so market timing and gut 'instinct' usually is a bad thing.

And comparing the S&P 500 to these two funds is like comparing the performance of a short board to a long board: apples vs. oranges.

Like surfboards you can't have it all in one package, there are compromises.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
You can sponsor my band's 2022 Granny Sluts and Methadone Tour of San Diego.

You get a t-shirt and a mug.

Is your wife in PERS or STERS?

I thought I was going to have to kill myself because I didn't prepare for retirement.

Then my peers who were a little older than I who were retiring this year and had actually taught for less time than I were like, "Oh, no. We get this, and we get this and we get this."

I was all, "Maybe I won't have to blow my brains out."

Then I thought, "No wonder right wingers hate teachers." :roflmao:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I'm pretty uncomfortable placing my money in the stock market at this point.

That sh!t just seems like some ridiculous complex amusement park to me.

I try to stay grounded in reality, the stock market seems the opposite of that to me.
If you don’t invest, you are guaranteed to lose money over time to inflation. At 0.4% interest (at best) you already are. The stock market overtime and through the worst world catastrophes still marches on.

SP 500 index funds simply invest in the top 500 companies and track their performance. These are the largest and most stable companies in the world and while some could go belly up, you are diversified over several hundred more. These index funds also have very low fees if you pick the right ones, something around $20 per $10k/year iirc.

Maybe you and your wife have parents that were wary of financial institutions and the stock market? Most of our attitudes towards money comes from how are parents talked about and delt with money, like other things in life.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
We have too much sitting in the bank, I never look at the balance and my wife showed it to me this afternoon and while I was presently surprised it made me sick at the same time.

We could pay off our mortgage and still have money in the bank but considering the coming inflation (yes, I know there is no inflation) and our very manageable mortgage being half the average rent for a unit in our area it seems like a dumb idea. I did look at doing a refi after my buddy got a 2.8% rate but backed off after they only offered my 3.4% for my current 3.8% (maybe because my place is a condo and his is a single family home?)

Our only debt is the mortgage, we own everything else.

The only money we have saved for retirement is my 403b, I contribute 4% because that's what the match is and whatever is happening in Wall Street looks like an amusement park.

Advice on how to find a decent financial advisor? I need to invest.

How much is too much? Over $50,000? $100,000? If you're going to talk money and want real advice, don't be shy. First world problems "I have too much money sitting in the bank."

Part of the problem is I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I know investing while ignorant is a good way to lose a lot of money.

Where is a good place to educate myself (would prefer not to use the internet to do so)
Go to the library that your taxes help pay for. Get a bunch of finance books and read them. Figure out the meaning of the finance words and tax words. Don't hire someone until you know more

Who said Kahn Academy for learning stuff? Great advice. Wish that was around in the 1990s

I had something called Euro Pacific Growth Fund.

That fucking thing made something like $250 over 10 years cause the fees were like $50/yr. Thank god it wasn't my money. I cashed it out and used it for a deposit on a board.
How much you put in and when? When did you sell?

1626538454112.png

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
IMO you are doing a good job with savings and matching your 403b/401k or whatever. Pretty hard to beat an automatic 100% ROI, or even if it's only 50% that's still a good deal.

Definitely refi, even if it drops only half point or at worst $50/month that is still some good coin. I've refi'd thrice since I bought my house in 2015 and now my all in payment with prop tax is less than what my mortgage was on its own at purchase with 4% APR. Now is the time, or maybe 6-12 months ago was?

IMO there is no reason to pay off your mortgage except for peace of mind, you can easily beat the interest in the market with simple low-to-moderate risk index funds. I can understand the hesitation with buying in at what seems to be peak stupid, because it very well might be, so instead you could just trickle some in month by month ie "dollar cost averaging". Open a Roth IRA where you can both contribute $6k/year and the gains are tax free.

You don't need a professional, except for maybe a shrink if this stuff makes you nervous. Cash in the bank is great and all but you could have done a lot better over the last 5-10 years.
Dave Ramsey has millions of people thinking mortgage debt (and debt in general) is bad. It's a shame this financial adolescent was ever given a platform.

• Love
Reactions: bluemarlin04

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I went through a number of “financial advisors” before going to Vanguard. Financial Institution advisors, a CPA financial advisor, Internet proposed investments, etc. Vanguard fee’s are really low when compared to the others. I put my son’s insurance award (from an accident) that has almost doubled. I moved my 401K, IRAs, etc. into Vanguard. Simple get their tele, tell them what you’re goals are and whether you’re a risk taker (don’t) or simply want a return with as little exposure to loss as possible (the more risk the higher the returns but the RISK of losing the investment is there if you go this route). Google Vanguard’s 800 tele number and listen to the advisor’s pitch… PM me if more details wanted! John

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Just got a very legit tip on YELL going to $25 in a year or less. Not insider, just a from a guy who knows things about the company. Think: fat government contracts to mitigate ongoing covid related supply chain issues etc

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Dave Ramsey has millions of people thinking mortgage debt (and debt in general) is bad. It's a shame this financial adolescent was ever given a platform.
Agreed. It's a reflection of his and his fans insecurities over their lack of discipline. Envelopes full of cash for paying for your groceries :roflmao: :loser:
I use miles for flights more than I pay cash for them because of all the credit card rewards.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
A lot of people our age (mid thirties) are hesitant to get into the stock market due to all the financial BS that happened right as we were entering the job market. All you need to do is look at a chart of what the market's done since then to understand that you need to get over that. Yes, there will be draw downs at some point in the future, but those are just buying opportunities. FED policy these days pretty much guarantees up only.

Some of the suggestions here reflect older ways of thinking and doing things (keeping bonds in a normal portfolio... no reason for that IMO.)

Vanguard is a decent brokerage option, but is by no means the only way. They all offer free trading and most have a better UI these days. You'll likely want to buy and hold the same stuff no matter where you open it. For example, having a Vanguard account gives you access to Vanguard Total World mutual fund Admiral Shares with a .1% expense ratio. The same fund is available as an ETF with .08% expense ratio which you can hold anywhere.

I'd look into a mix of an S&P fund, small/mid cap funds, and international market funds and figure out your allocations based on your own research.

Assuming you anticipate drawing a lower amount of money from your retirement accounts when your retire than what your yearly salary is today, you might look into maxing out your 403b contributions (max is $19,500 this year) to get your tax liability as low as possible. From there you can add similar investments in a post-tax brokerage account with additional investment funds.

All that said, I am just some dude on the internet, so don't listen to me. Your research may well lead you to similar conclusions to the ones I've drawn, but you've got to get there yourself.

FOR ME, the right portfolio for a guy our age who owns his home is the stock market investment mix I mentioned, plus as much crypto exposure as is comfortable for each person's own situation and understanding. Enough cash in savings for 4-6 months of living expenses as a safety net and that's it. In conclusion, fuck bonds.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
A lot of people our age (mid thirties) are hesitant to get into the stock market due to all the financial BS that happened right as we were entering the job market. All you need to do is look at a chart of what the market's done since then to understand that you need to get over that. Yes, there will be draw downs at some point in the future, but those are just buying opportunities. FED policy these days pretty much guarantees up only.

Some of the suggestions here reflect older ways of thinking and doing things (keeping bonds in a normal portfolio... no reason for that IMO.)

Vanguard is a decent brokerage option, but is by no means the only way. They all offer free trading and most have a better UI these days. You'll likely want to buy and hold the same stuff no matter where you open it. For example, having a Vanguard account gives you access to Vanguard Total World mutual fund Admiral Shares with a .1% expense ratio. The same fund is available as an ETF with .08% expense ratio which you can hold anywhere.

I'd look into a mix of an S&P fund, small/mid cap funds, and international market funds and figure out your allocations based on your own research.

Assuming you anticipate drawing a lower amount of money from your retirement accounts when your retire than what your yearly salary is today, you might look into maxing out your 403b contributions (max is $19,500 this year) to get your tax liability as low as possible. From there you can add similar investments in a post-tax brokerage account with additional investment funds.

All that said, I am just some dude on the internet, so don't listen to me. Your research may well lead you to similar conclusions to the ones I've drawn, but you've got to get there yourself.

FOR ME, the right portfolio for a guy our age who owns his home is the stock market investment mix I mentioned, plus as much crypto exposure as is comfortable for each person's own situation and understanding. Enough cash in savings for 4-6 months of living expenses as a safety net and that's it. In conclusion, fook bonds.
Agreed on all of this. I have a small bond allocation in my 401k, but at this point its only for purpose of buying back in on the next correction. I squirreled it away a couple years ago because I was sure that the Dow hitting 26k was the top :roflmao: :foreheadslap:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
kinda in the same boat. have met with a few advisors but not sure why pick one over an other. they all got the same spiel.

i already invest + max out the ira's every year but i got a down payment for house just sitting with no house to buy and no urgency to really do so. but yea money is just wasting away in an online savings account that in the last year has become a shitty option to hold cash at.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I too like Bird L.A. have never been a fan of bonds. Uber wealthy or corporate holdings, I understand. I have used REITS (Real Estate Investmemt Trusts) and other high paying dividend stocks in place of bonds. Much easier vehicles to get in and out of.

To be honest, it would be a good idea for you to have telephone or in person meeting with a financial Advisor. Pick three or four different ones and go shopping. They’ll send you a ton of info. If the Advisor has their CFA (Chartered Financial Analysts) certification, they are good to go and have been in the Industry for awhile. They are usually reserved for higher net worth people, not the brand new $5000 cash acount.

Tell us how it goes. Just don’t mention no load S&P 500 funds right off the bat with them.

Also, pick up a copy of the Weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal. Give it a good read. You might be surprised.

Last edited:

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Sounds to me that you need to find a good financial adviser that will help you develop a long term plan. Or you can just ask for advice here. Maximize your before tax retirement contributions and put some of your savings in a 457 ROTH. I would also consider renting that condo and buying more property. What are your retirement plans. No plans for kids? You should be on track for an early retirement but you won't make it if you don't plan.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If we are talking money I will be honest. I’m mid 30s. Wife has a good job and me too. She is early thirties.

Have about 500k in cash holdings. About 300k of that is retirement accounts. Rest in stocks. And we own a rental property next to the beach in Hawaii with about 600-700k in equity. Have another 200k in equity in our primary home.

I never even talked to a financial advisor. Don’t need too. Just put it in vanguard funds based on the withdrawal dates. Don’t even look at the balances or worry about it. Overtime they will grow.

Dollar cost average your investments and invest every paycheck and just forget about it. That’s what I did. Don’t go for single stocks just a index and you’re fine.

If you go for single stocks be ok with losing whatever you deposit.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The brainy people here have all said the same: Forget bonds, buy ETF's online and forget about them too.

The guy who started the "Mental health thread" said he knew a guy who told him he thought a stock would go to $25.

Have your pick.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
One more thing. As you start to get more and more money you’ll feel yourself trying to justify buying expensive stuff like a bigger house, better car, etc. resist the urge of lifestyle creep.

Nothing wrong with getting things you enjoy like a boat but no need drop 100k.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
’wells Fargo’, ‘hot tip’, ‘800 number’, you might want to go somewhere else for advice lol. You could just join Reddit and start buying options. Don’t sell options though.