Fin setup for Von Sol Flying Manta?

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
I'm sure many of you have an opinion on what works and doesn't work with the Flying Manta.

So what works?

[ A ] Thruster
[ B ] Standard quad
[ C ] Standard quad with nubster
[ D ] Twin (upright or keel)
[ E ] Twin with stabilizer
[ F ] Controllers
[ G ] Speed dialers
[ H ] No fins
[ I ] I don't have a Flying Manta, but still interested
[ J ] I don't have a Flying Manta... I don't care.

Please feel free to explain your selection. Aloha

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I'm sure many of you have an opinion on what works and doesn't work with the Flying Manta.

So what works?

[ A ] Thruster
[ B ] Standard quad
[ C ] Standard quad with nubster
[ D ] Twin (upright or keel)
[ E ] Twin with stabilizer
[ F ] Controllers
[ G ] Speed dialers
[ H ] No fins
[ I ] I don't have a Flying Manta, but still interested
[ J ] I don't have a Flying Manta... I don't care.

Please feel free to explain your selection. Aloha
[H] is ur best option. otherwise dvs quad keels and a small nub. i'm planning on riding mine again and playing with fins. such a great design.

anyone ever get a poly mandala? wonder how long the wait is.

also, von oceanslide, how does the manta compare to ur superchunk? again, we should all thank oceanslide for being the manta pioneer

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Only ever ridden the quad fins that come with 'em...not a big fan of the nubster...I feel like it strangles the very characteristics I love in the manta..Every time I put it in I come in and take it out mid session.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I)
not on the Manta bandwagon… yet.
I was actually just in a shop in Oceanside today that sells a lot of VS and Sean’s personal boars. The owner was talking up the VS Stiletto quads (the thin pointy ones) as his favorite quads to another guy. Might be a little too loose for manta tho. Dunno

Reactions: BentoBox70

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
I rode it today as a standard quad. The waves were small, but it generated speed quite easily. For a first session, it was great.

I'm interested to see if a Twin w/ stabilizer will yield the same results.

Mahalos

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
i go with whatever sean mattison recommends. I've had 3-4 of them. I just outgrew my 5'7" manta. too fat for it now. anyone want it? $400

Reactions: JDJ
Apr 22, 2014
Yeah standard set r von knight set. They’re good but I like the dvs ones better. Prly gonna try a bigger nub for more control
I like the DVS Quad Keels also but with the Pivot Nub in the rear slot. I've had 10 Mantas and have tried many different fin set-ups. This is the one that works best for me. The Manta is such a great board though that pretty much any fin configuration will work.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I like the DVS Quad Keels also but with the Pivot Nub in the rear slot. I've had 10 Mantas and have tried many different fin set-ups. This is the one that works best for me. The Manta is such a great board though that pretty much any fin configuration will work.
ya i got the idea from u pagey. many thanks
:cheers:

Reactions: JDJ and pagey

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
My first Manta was a bit too loose for my tastes with the stock Hynson fins. My most recent one feels perfect. I haven’t measured the fins, but my new one has FCS2 fin boxes and my first was fusions FWIW

Reactions: Havoc