Fin Placement in Twin Fish

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
What's the "standard" (read, average perhaps) placement for fins on a more traditional fish? I don't mean a Lis with parallel double foils but slightly more modern, like a 70s+ fish with single foiled fins with flat insides and some toe-in.

Someone here once said that CI's fish has the fins/boxes too far up. How far up are those usually?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Lulz. pls clarify if we are talking glass on placement, fin box placement or other.

some fin boxes are placed further up but bc they’re intended to be used with specific sized keels that set the trailing edge in the right place.

wrong finz means wrong placement and the internetz complain

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Glass-on, keels. Should have specified.

Makes sense about boxes being placed with specific fins in mind.

I've noticed that glass-ons can vary anywhere from 6"-9" but I imagine a lot of that has to do with tail width.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Why do you care where average placement is? Why not find the most effective placement for how you wanna surf? I can try to measure a couple fish later
Just a curiosity on my part is all. I happen to like fins forward on a keel fish: trailing edge 8" or more from the pins. But I see boards similarly shaped with the same general fin type (keel) anywhere from 6-9"

Maybe avg was a poor choice of word, probably isn't an avg, just what works on/for what shape/rocker/surfing style, &c.

Reactions: oeste858

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think I’ve liked my keels somewhere around 7.5”. But, if not balanced correctly it can feel like it’s surfing on tracks and hard to break off the line you’re already on. didn’t like my first iteration but quite liked the second.

its a fine balance best left to the shaper with satisfied customers.

Pushing back fin boxes and playing with fins yourself will be expensive if you do not already have an extensive fin quiver and spare time on your hands.